2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

It's been a relatively tranquil start to the year, after 24 months of near constant celebrity death.  However, we are up and running with Jerry van Dyke (brother of Dick and quite recently in The Middle) gone from this world.

Surely we are in for a quieter one in 2018?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I thought for a horrible moment it was Barry Van Dyke then. JErry turned up as Dick's much less entertaining brother in the Dick Van Dyke show as well quite frequently. He even got a run out in the reunion special.

• Paid Members

Shitting hell, this is crackers. I heard this cover when I was in a bar in Brussels about 2 years ago. I was with my wife and we both tried to work out who it was to the point we spent about €10 on the jukebox randomly guessing based on title names. Bloody hell, I’m almost tempted to go and wake her up. 

Edit - also just clicked this is the RIP thread and not song of the day, so yeah, it’s also obviously shit. Only 70 too.

Would defo early say that was the definative lineup. Planet Rock reported that he was the last of the original lineup to pass away, seemingly getting 'original lineup' confused with 'definative lineup' by forgetting that neither Eddie or Phil were part of the original lineup, and that both men who were in the original lineup, Larry Wallis and Lucas Fox, are both still alive 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

"Fast" Eddie Clarke the Motorhead guitarist has died, 67 he was

Aw fuck. I've got a real soft spot for Fast Eddie, although more for his stuff with Fastway than Motorhead.

He wasn't actually that fast, he was a walking  80s rock cliche and his solo album was mindnumbingly mediocre, but when he was on form there was magic in those fingers of his.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Would defo early say that was the definative lineup. Planet Rock reported that he was the last of the original lineup to pass away, seemingly getting 'original lineup' confused with 'definative lineup' by forgetting that neither Eddie or Phil were part of the original lineup, and that both men who were in the original lineup, Larry Wallis and Lucas Fox, are both still alive 

That 'original' line up wasn't around beyond the on parole ep was it, and didn't get a proper mainstream release until they were back catalogue items after the Eddie and Phil line up was established I was led to believe by someone. 

I'm not big on their history, as much as I love the music.

• Paid Members

Pretty much - On Parole wasn't an EP, it was a full album, and recorded before the "classic" line-up, but United Artists didn't release it at first, so it came out a couple of years later, without Motorhead's permission. The first album they released had the "classic" line-up, but it wasn't the first album they recorded together.

Most of what was on On Parole ended up re-recorded for the self-titled "debut" album with the Lemmy/Eddie/Phil line-up anyway, so it depends on where you consider On Parole fits.

Still, Motorhead/Overkill/Bomber/Ace Of Spades is one hell of a run for any musician, before you factor in the live albums, EPs, and the Iron Fist album that all came out during their stint in the band. I still don't think hard rock gets much better than that.

Archived