2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one today:

David Ogden Stiers, known for his role as Charles Winchester in M*A*S*H as well as appearances in Frasier and loads of voiceover stuff, has died aged 75 from bladder cancer.

• Paid Members

I remember going to see him at Preston Guild Hall with my gran about 20 years ago, if not longer. He was on until getting on for Midnight, having started at 7. Great entertainer. Very funny and entirely family friendly.

Sad news about Ken Dodd, a lovely man and a great entertainer. 

My friend used to play drums in his backing band up until about 3 years ago. He always use to say to them he would be finished by 11:30...... 1am and Ken was still performing. When questioned about it, Ken's response would "Well, you have missed the traffic!"

On 3/5/2018 at 5:59 PM, eugenespeed said:

Trevor Bayliss, who invented the wind up radio has died aged 80.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43290756

I missed this, but that's a shame. Going to school in Twickenham, we used to see Trevor every day before school, often on the bridge watching the trains go past, and whenever we went over to Eel Pie Island for parties or just to have a look, and he always had time for us, and said hello and "Be good at school", and seemed like a lovely chap. In all honesty, we only really knew him from The Big Breakfast, but yeah, that's sad as he was a gent. Also gave me one of my favourite BB segments ever in this

• Paid Members

Considering his condition, that's a really good run. One of those people who could look back on his life and say he was truly proud of the things he accomplished. RIP.

Whilst it's sad he's gone, it's also really frustrating - he was preparing, with a group of lawyers, to take this bastard government to court over the NHS. Obviously, the lawyers should do a good job, but a man of his intelligence would've been able to help put together a case to really smash the fuckers, and his profile and fame would've got more attention on it than usual so that it wouldn't have flown under the radar.

Archived