2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Gus Mears

• Awards Moderator

Joël Robuchon, the most Michelin-starred chef in history, has died aged 73.

He's not exactly TV-famous, but in France he's a household name. Whether you hold stock in Michelin stars in one thing, but he's unquestionably the most decorated in the quality standard that top restaurants hold themselves to. He even won the chef of the century award from the rival guide. He was a mentor to Gordon Ramsay too.

His style was surprisingly simple: never more than three flavours on a plate. His most famous dish? Mashed potato.

Losing him and Paul Bocuse in the same year is a massive blow to French cuisine.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Joël Robuchon, the most Michelin-starred chef in history, has died aged 73.

He's not exactly TV-famous, but in France he's a household name. Whether you hold stock in Michelin stars in one thing, but he's unquestionably the most decorated in the quality standard that top restaurants hold themselves to. He even won the chef of the century award from the rival guide. He was a mentor to Gordon Ramsay too.

His style was surprisingly simple: never more than three flavours on a plate. His most famous dish? Mashed potato.

Losing him and Paul Bocuse in the same year is a massive blow to French cuisine.

Amen to this. I loved the relative simplicity of his work and how he never really deviated from what cooking, particularly French cooking, is supposed to be about in my view. Bold and robust flavours done correctly. Obviously the level of refinement from that point on is immense, but his style is the style which has always chimed most with what I liked to cook before becoming a filthy vegetarian. 

If I'm going to restaurant or even cooking something at home with love and care; let's add the extra bloody butter if it improves the dish. 

• Awards Moderator
9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That is an insane amount of butter!

Who would've thought that potato : butter in a 2 : 1 ratio could taste so good.

Rentachef Jean Christophe-Novelli was very dismissive of this when I asked him about it* - "well of course it tastes great with all that butter in it! The challenge is to make great mash without adding anything." And to be fair his was pretty good (just bake in the skins, scoop out flesh and mash with creme fraiche. It's really nice).

*CLANG! Did you hear that name drop?

I saw Treguard from Knightmare at a gaming expo yesterday and Barry Chuckle got a brief mention at one point. Treguard appeared in an episode of Chucklevision as a vampire, and apparently "poor Barry wouldn't come anywhere near me when I was in costume. He was terrified! God rest his soul, he was such a lovely man". One childhood hero paying tribute to another. Almost brought a tear to the eye! 

• Paid Members

Reports coming in that Aretha Franklin has died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-45169609

Aretha Franklin, the "queen of soul" who became the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, has died in Detroit at the age of 76.

The legendary singer was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 and announced last year she was retiring from music.

Known for hits like Respect and Think, she had more than 20 US number ones over a career spanning seven decades.

She gave her final performance last November at a gala in New York held in aid of the Elton John Aids Foundation.

Born in Memphis to a gospel singer/pianist and a celebrated Baptist preacher, Franklin was tutored from an early age by such gospel stars as Mahalia Jackson and Clara Ward.

She struggled to find fame in the early years, with record label Columbia unsure how to frame her impressively powerful voice.

A move to Atlantic Records in 1966 saw her paired with the famed Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, prompting some of her most soulful and fieriest performances.

By 1968 she was renowned throughout America and Europe as "Lady Soul" - a symbol of black pride who appeared on the cover of Time and was given an award by Martin Luther King.

After an eye-catching cameo in cult comedy The Blues Brothers, she scored a number of big hits in the 1980s including Who's Zooming Who? and the George Michael duet I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me).

She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W Bush in 2005, when she was saluted for "capturing the hearts of millions of Americans".

Ten years later she reduced President Barack Obama to tears when she sang (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman at a Kennedy Center Honours ceremony, having previously performed at his inauguration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Neil Simon has died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45316069

Absolutely love his work and looking through his career, there's so much of it that I still haven't seen. The Sunshine Boys, The Odd Couple, The Prisoner of Second Avenue, Barefoot in the Park, The Goodbye Girl - among others, they're all stunning pieces of work.

Oh, and John McCain died.

Conway Savage of The Bad Seeds has died from a brain tumour.  The band released this statement

Our beloved Conway passed away on Sunday evening. A member of Bad Seeds for nearly thirty years, Conway was the anarchic thread that ran through the band’s live performances. He was much loved by everyone, band members and fans alike. Irascible, funny, terrifying, sentimental, warm-hearted, gentle, acerbic, honest, genuine – he was all of these things and quite literally “had the gift of a golden voice,” high and sweet and drenched in soul. On a drunken night, at four in the morning, in a hotel bar in Cologne, Conway sat at the piano and sang Streets of Laredo to us, in his sweet, melancholy style and stopped the world for a moment. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house. Goodbye Conway, there isn’t a dry eye in the house. Love, Nick and the Bad Seeds.

• Paid Members

Blake's 7 baddie and the one responsible for my childhood fear of women with short black hair (Ruth Madoc, Liza Minelli, etc.) Jacqueline Pearce has died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45406498

I'll admit I don't know of any other of her roles, but in the early years at school she was as well known as any Doctor Who baddie.

Archived