UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Guy Bifkin said:

This is not selling well according to the Joe Rogan fight companion. 

It's a great card but I hope it bombs and it forces them to have a hard look at how they are booking some of these title fights. 

Doesn't shock me. It is a great card but the main event doesn't have the draw that they want it to. Bisping isn't a dominant champion. I've been a fan of MMA a little over 4 years, I haven't missed a UFC show in that time and yet I don't really know who GSP is. I mean, of course I know who GSP is ... my point is that you could be a relatively newish fan of MMA and not know who the fuck GSP is or have any reason to care about him. I bet there's a bunch of people brought to the UFC by Mcgregor that couldn't care less about either guy. Add into that mix that the heat between the two of them has been excruciatingly manufactured and it's not a shock that it isn't drawing.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I just think the majority of people are lukewarm to GSP v Bisping. For some reason, it's never really worked with the masses. We're all into it, but most of us get excited by some Fight Night in Cowdenbeath.

I've heard a few folk bring up that GSP maybe doesn't have pull with the newer fans, which I thought was bollocks, but maybe there is something to it. Boring Canadian.

The PPV buyrate will be interesting. You wonder if GSP v Woodley would do much better?

I also find it hard to buy into Bisping as champion. He's managed to avoid all of the top contenders since he won the thing a year and a half ago, turning it into some sort of funky retirement tour.

Hopefully after this fight (if he wins) he actually faces a proper contender. Although I can see him calling it a day before then.

As GSP has banged on about before if "the UFC is like the stock exchange" well neither are very hot right now. Bispings title reign has been underwhelming to say the least and everyone knows he has one foot in retirement. MSG ain't that far from Canada, 5 years ago GSP would have sold the place out in a day. Maybe a bunch of his fans have moved on.

• Paid Members

I've got to be honest, if someone gave me a choice, ticket to UFC 217 or 218, I'd probably choose the later. It doesn't fucking help you've got a fat waste of space in Johnny Hendricks on the main card either.

I'm actually looking forward to the two other title fights far more than the main event on 217 as well. As a fight, I'm intrigued about Bisping vs GSP I'll admit that. But with having the belt on the line it's really left a sour taste in my mouth. 

i'm telling you, GSP in todays MMA world is just another respectful vanilla Canadian who's good at fighting. His gimmick worked back in the day when being Canadian and a good fighter mattered.

Not in 2017 though. 

*Bring on those downvotes, mofos ;)*

2 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Seeing as I can't downvote, you can expect a box of cat shit through your door.

:laugh: Good lad! 

I'm only joshing, of course. I don't think anyone could have foreseen the return of GSP not catching fire by now. Baffling stuff really.

• Paid Members

I don't know for certain, but I'd venture a guess that it might be because his return dragged on for so long. There's a certain amount of "fatigue" that occurs between the start of an idea or notion, and its execution. The whole GSP return saga was a bit of a farce, with the false starts and the seeming lack of will on either side to make anything happen; eventually, people are just going to say "enough already". Just look at Guns n' Roses' Chinese Democracy.

Add to that that there's not really any naturally-intriguing opponent for GSP, and you can see why it might be a bit underwhelming. Woodley's not a particularly inspiring personality, and he hasn't really had the time to build up enough of a monster streak to make it interesting for people to see how GSP would do against him, and there's nobody else at WW who warrants a GSP match more than Woodley. Also, the likes of Rockhold, Whittaker, Romero and Jacare are too big physically and too much of the new generation for anyone to give GSP a serious chance against them. Out of that lot, I think Rockhold would have the best chance of promoting a fight with his smug shnite personality, but even then I don't think it would generate buys, given Rockhold's only one victory in from having lost to Bisping.

If it is just the gate, that was always going to happen, if the tickets are priced anywhere near what Conor's MSG tickets where then they made a massive mistake.

Conor had fans flying in plus all the old Irish New York fans as well as the first time running a market, they usually come in hot then it goes down in most markets.

GSP only really had the time they ran the Toronto dome show as a big gate and Brock only really had UFC 200 that did big gates but they sold PPVs, it's only really been Conor & Rhonda's last fight that had high gates (discounting stadium shows.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, lambyUK said:

I've got to be honest, if someone gave me a choice, ticket to UFC 217 or 218, I'd probably choose the later. 

I'm with you here. 218 just looks so good to me on paper. I can't see any of the main card fights not delivering on that one. 

217, whilst obviously being a stacked, heavy, card, I think the three title fights will go to decision, with only one of them (Cody/TJ) being competitive. 

With GSP vs Bisping I can't decide who I think will win, but I feel the first round will tell us all we need to know about how it'll play out. With JJ and Namajunas, I'm pretty sure JJ is going to school her, and it'll be death by a thousand cuts. 

Borrachinia (sp?) Is going to wreck Hendricks in about 40 seconds, and that will be quite enjoyable! 

Both cards are great cards, 218 just feels harder to know how the fights will play out, as well as who might win them. 

Of course, this is MMA in 2017, so now I've said all that, Big Rig will clean house, Rose will choke out JJ inside a round and GSP vs Bisping will be fight of the year, end in a draw, and go to a re-match next year.

As a whole, I am really looking forward to this one. 

I enjoy JJ's fights, even when she is complete control. GSP vs Bisping fascinates me. As does Cody vs TJ, just to a slightly lesser degree. I am not a fan of either, whereas I am a fan of GSP and have a soft spot for Bisping.

• Paid Members

seeing stuff now about people saying GSP isn't in shape and is coming back for all the wrong reasons, just feels like instead of everyone embracing the return of one of the greats there's just a negative bubble surrounding this main event.

Archived