UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Interesting. Has there been any recent training footage or pictures of GSP? I'm interested to see how he's looking physique-wise. The last I saw was that picture from a few months back where he looked pregnant. He's a guy who I imagine always keeps himself in shape but with the layoff and a few injuries in that time, plus going up in weight for this fight, I wonder how he's going to look on the scales for the weigh in. 

If he looks at all soft then Bisping's going to be all over the steroid accusations again, saying GSP's had to come off the gear. He's already had a pop about that the other week when he said GSP conveniently retired when USADA came in. If GSP doesn't look close to how he used to look on weigh in day you just know Bisping's going to be all over it. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

In truth the whole comeback has been a bit "off". From Dana saying GSP isn't actually bothered, to them announcing that GSP is fighting Bisping, then not, then is, then to GSP saying he's pissing off if he loses a fight.

It's been woefully managed and a bit of a clusterfuck. Watch GSP pull out of the fight because his eye falls out.

• Paid Members

Kristof Midoux, GSP's career-long mentor and close friend, isn't on board with GSP's octagon return. Could be mind games to throw Bisping off and make him underestimate GSP, or maybe he's actually genuinely concerned. Fuck knows? I'm sure it was Midoux who was one of the most vocal about wanting GSP to retire before the Hendricks fight in 2013 as well. 

"I do not agree with this return and I do not know who managed to convince him. I do not see the objective surrounding this fight."

"Moreover, when I see Georges' eyes, they do not tell me anything good. During his face-to-face in Las Vegas, I would have liked him to give a slap to Bisping to show him what was waiting for him on November 4th. The guys who have their hands in their pockets like Georges did, they do not feel like fighting. You have to have the urge and the rage to do it." 

"I think he needs help and I think the people around him are hiding things from him. I witnessed his sparring and I did not see what I wanted to see from him."

• Paid Members

Yeah, him saying he wanted GSP to slap Bisping sounds weird because that's never been GSP's thing. Then again, shoving people and telling them to "fuck off" wasn't ever GSP's thing either and  we've seen both of them. 

There's just something about GSP that isn't sitting right with me in the build up to this one. Can't quite pinpoint what it is but something seems off about him. Opponents have shit-talked GSP before and he's never got aggressive in the face-offs or told them "fuck off, man". Maybe he's just seen McGregor raking it in acting like that and thinks 'I'll have some of that'. But I don't know. I'm getting an uneasy feeling the closer it's getting. Not as bad as the Ronda Rousey comeback last year where I knew she was fucked and heading for a battering. But I'm not 100% feeling GSP's comeback. I hope he's coming back for the right reasons and looks great next Saturday but I've got a bad feeling. 

Add me to those who are having second thought about GSP's comeback. Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to next weekend. I plan to pull an all-nighter for it; a rarity for me on current form. However, the closer we get to fight night, the more I rate Bisping's chances. Midoux's comments raise even more doubt.

Zahabi stated that GSP added muscle for his fight with Shields in 2011. That was one of his least impressive performances, although he was hindered by an injured eye, and still won quite easily (the scorecards were kind to Shields). GSP's cardio and speed were not up to par that evening (a below par GSP was still a notch above everyone else at the time though). This time around not only has he put on muscle to move up a weight class, but he's also coming off a 4 year lay-off.

Therefore, it's easy to picture GSP coming out flat, and Bisping taking advantage. I am in two minds. I really don't want to see GSP grow old in front of my eyes. I've always liked that he beat the game so to speak. But I also quite like Bisping, and would not begrudge him another day in the sun. Despite the lack of buzz surrounding the fight, I am personally intirgued and conflicted by it.

Edit: Video of Meltzer discussing the fight and the Zahabi comments - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUcJb4B0-Es

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

He does, but I gave up going on aesthetics when Rousey turned up in the best shape of her career, but had her worst performance. Abs and cardio/sharpness don't always sync.

It's more to do with the flack GSP received for being out of shape CB. Lots was made from the early snippets of him sporting a beer gut.

Archived