UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

Aye, I noticed how happy GSP appears.

If past form is anything to go by, then that's a sign that GSP will perform well tomorrow evening. He's had some of his worst performances when looking miserable. In addition to the Hendricks fight, he seemed off going into the first fight with Serra in 2007. I remember Dana saying that he visited GSP in his locker room before that fight, and he looked like he was on his way to a funeral; "what the fuck is wrong with him" (Dana). 

If GSP wins, then the greatest fighter ever will add another achievement to his unrivalled resume. If Bisping wins, one of the greatest stories in MMA history gets an ideal ending. The only way that either of these two scenarios gets ruined is if the fight turns out to be a complete dud. Luckily, I can't remember many Bisping fights that have been duds The Mayhem Miller one was a bit crap, and some of his fights have just been "watchable" rather than barnburners - but I don't recall him ever really stinking up the joint. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

His worst fight for me was the Kennedy one. It was the flattest I've ever seen him look, the most I've seen him get his entire game shut down and the fight itself was really dull. Like I said before, I put some of that down to Bisping's year layoff and the eye surgery before that fight. He's had about the same layoff for this fight as well but he might get away with it because GSP's had an even longer time away. Fuck knows what happens. 

But yeah, Bisping doesn't really do boring fights. And I think he's got enough strengths that it won't be a complete shutdown like most of GSP's title fights were. I can see it being a good fight because Bisping never stops and it might force GSP's hand a bit more. 

• Paid Members

Love DC. He's got the perfect balance of being able to break down a fight while also making it entertaining to listen to. 

You could see once the food came out though, the last thing he wanted to be doing was talking to Luke Thomas about single-legs and wrist control. Look at him keep looking sideways at what's on his family's plates :laugh: 

Alright, been quiet in the build up, it's been a really intriguing one to just sit back and see what people are thinking due to the genuine unpredictability and closeness of the fights, but I'll stick my predictions in here nonetheless.

GSP via Decision, Garbrandt via KO, JJ via Decision, Masvidal via KO, Hendricks via UD.

Vick, Godbeer, OSP, Gall, Oliynik and Zahabi on the prelims.

Can't wait for this one, it's definitely been a card where my excitement have increased and increased leading into fight week. After all the Embedded and Countdown episodes, I'm ready for this one.

• Paid Members

I'm mostly up to date on the build up and now I'm feeling the buzz a bit more. Still doesn't feel like a really mega fight but I'm definitely up for it more now I've watched the Countdown and some interviews and previews and stuff. Still got Embedded to watch yet but just got done with the Weigh Ins so here my predictions; 

0Vosx.jpg

We've all been back and forth on this. I don't care who you are or how confident you are in your prediction, you probably shouldn't be confident. It's such a weird fight to call and there's so many things to factor in. The size difference, the styles, the layoffs, GSP's mental state, Bisping's knee, both guys hinting at retiring. It's a really odd one. All throughout the buildup I've had a bad feeling about GSP. Something didn't feel right, like he was coming back for the wrong reasons or something. But now this week he's looked super relaxed and happier than I think I've ever seen him on a fight week. It's like he knows something we all don't. He was literally laughing in Bisping's face during the Weigh In staredown. I don't know what to think anymore. He looks great physically, he seems in a great place mentally. For the last few months I've been about 70/30 in Bisping's favour to win this. Now it's fight day and I'm close to 50/50 now. GSP's closed the gap. Style-wise and skills-wise, this is a winnable fight for GSP for sure. In the end though, I just think Bisping is going to be sharper. GSP's going to score takedowns, that's a given. But I'm not convinced he'll be able to keep Bisping down and that could sap his energy. Especially as we don't know how he'll look cardio-wise with the extra weight + coming off 4 years out. Bisping's conditioning will be there, we know that. And on the feet, while Bisping isn't a big hitter, he is capable of landing hurtful shots, he's accurate and lands at a high volume. It's no walk in the park for GSP wherever the fight goes. I'm struggling to see a finish either way in this one, to be honest. But I think Bisping size, relentlessness, toughness and volume striking will nick him a close decision.

Michael Bisping by decision. 

4DRjF.jpg

This is a great fight. It's a shame it hasn't really had the build it deserved. I mean, they had TUF but that seems like ages ago now because this fight got delayed. Anyway, another tricky one to call. I get why everyone's on Cody's dick after how awesome he looked against Cruz but I can't help feel like people are also slightly underrating Dillashaw going into this one. He's got many of the same strengths Cody has. I wouldn't say he's as powerful but he can dig. He's got tremendous conditioning, he's not easy to hit, he's fast, moves a lot, good footwork. The wrestling is going to be interesting. Like the main event, I think this is close to a tossup. I'm leaning towards a Garbrandt win though. When you stack both guys' skills up I think Cody's power might make the difference in the exchanges and possibly also make TJ hesitant with his wrestling as well. We'll see but I wouldn't just assume Cody walks this based off the Cruz fight. Can see it being a technical war. 

Cody Garbrandt by TKO in the championship rounds. 

VnQO.jpg

I can't fucking wait for this one. Especially after the Weigh In shenanigans. Joanna getting in Rose's mug while Rose just stands there coldly praying. What was up with Joanna? She was even crazier than usual. "The Boogeywoman is coming to get you" isn't a catchphrase I can see catching on but it was certainly a memorable Weigh In promo. I really like Thug Rose, think she's a badass and has all the potential in the world. I just think this fight is coming too early for her. I don't blame her for taking the opportunity. And I don't blame the UFC for booking it. It's probably too soon for Rose but the way Joanna has completely rinsed the division they didn't have many options. I can't see Joanna losing this. She's the better striker and Rose's takedowns aren't good enough to put JJ down. But the thing I like is Rose will go for it. She's not the type to shy away. She'll throw wild shit at Joanna and we have seen Joanna get clipped and hurt in a couple of fights. It's probably going to be a slaughter but it'll be fun to watch. 

Joanna Jedrzeczyzk by TKO on an accumulation of arsekickery.

p9W7z.jpg

Wonderboy vs Masvidal could go a few different ways. It might be a bit of a staring contest for big spells because they both prefer to counter. It's probably going to be won and lost on distance. If Masvidal can get past Thompson's kicks and get on the inside I think he'll do well. Despite Wonderboy's striking background I actually think Masvidal has the better boxing. So if he can get in close quarters I could see him hurting Wonderboy with his hands, especially the body shots. But to do that he'll have to go out of his counterstriking comfort zone and close the distance, and that'll leave him open to Wonderboy's counter attacks. Fascinating matchup really. If it hits the ground then Masvidal will definitely have the advantage but I can see it playing out on the feet. And I just think Masvidal is going to have trouble with Thompson's distance control and kicking. 

Wonderboy Thompson by decision. 

FCED.jpg

I really can't see this ending well for Fatty Johny at all. It's relatively early days for Borrachinha and Hendricks is a former world champion. This should be a proper test for the Brazilian. But my confidence in Hendricks is completely shot at this point. He hasn't really looked right since those back-to-back wars with Robbie Lawler in 2014. He made weight for this and still managed to make a complete boob of himself in front of the media. Absolute div, he is. But yeah, not liking his chances here. He's older, slower, fatter, doesn't seem as focused or driven anymore and his once lethal left hand doesn't have the same pop as it used to. Funnily enough, that power seem to fizzle away around the time USADA came in. Just saying. I've just got a feeling he's getting blitzed here. Not claiming Borrachinha is some world beater but he's younger, bigger, stronger, more explosive, more hungry, he's aggressive as fuck and hits like a truck. Basically, exactly the kind of opponent Hendricks doesn't need in his life right now. 

Paulo Borrachinha by KTFO Murder In The First.

eHKWj.jpg

Vick vs Duffy is a sleeper for FOTN for me on this card. Two really good and exciting fighters  who don't really get enough love. Both have really good striking, boxing especially, but they're both crafty on the ground as well. Most will probably pick Duffy but Vick is no joke himself. I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other on who wins this, if I'm totally honest. I'll go Duffy edging a competitive decision but wouldn't be shocked at Vick coming out on top. 

Joseph Duffy by decision.

Ki806.jpg

Harris vs Godbeer is finally going down. Was originally set for 216 before Harris ended up stepping in against Werdum. Bit of a shot in the dark this one. Both big fuckers. Both have lost to anyone good they've fought. Probably go Harris but fuck knows? He'll be looking to rebound from that quick loss to Werdum so should be well up for this. 

Walt Harris by KO/TKO.

K0gtx.jpg

OSP vs Corey Anderson could be decent, I suppose. I like it better than the original Anderson vs Patrick Cummins fight anyway. OSP's coming off yet another Von Flue over Yushin Okami so he's got some momentum here. While Anderson got KO'd by Manuwa in his last fight. Don't know if I'm reading too much into nothing but I thought Anderson looked fucking depressed at the Weigh In. Don't know if he's carrying an injury or has something personal going on of what but he didn't look up for this and Dana even looked at him and kind of gave him a little tap on the chest like he was sympathetic or something. Maybe nothing and Dana gives fighters a little tap during face offs a lot but it seemed like something different with Anderson. Whatever. I like OSP in this one anyway. 

OSP by decision.

s94c0.jpg

Brown vs Gall should be exciting. Interesting twist is they've trained together before. I feel like this is kind of the first serious test for Gall in the UFC. The Punk fight was a nothing. That was just Gall getting his foot in the door and making an intro with maximum impact. The Sage fight was a test but again more about getting that exposure. This fight is a different thing. Randy Brown has zero name recognition yet. This is the first time where Gall is actually the bigger name and has nothing to really gain from the win. But Brown is a good fighter from the little I've seen. As much as I got why he wanted the Punk and Northcutt fights, they can't all be like that and this Brown fight is the kind of fight we need to see Gall in  now. He appears to have all the raw skills there, he just needs cage time and experience now. Haven't seen enough of Brown to make too educated a prediction but I'm really high on Gall and he's at that age where the time off he's had this year has probably really benefited him in the gym. 

Mickey Gall by submission. 

0mNwA.jpg

Oleynik vs Blaydes, like always with the heavies isn't that easy to call. I like Oleynik but Blaydes is a big old lump at 6'4" and around 20lbs heavier than Oleynik and 14 years younger. His only loss is to Francis Ngannou (no shame there) but even then he was tough enough to last 2 full rounds before the doctor called it off. I'll go with Oleynik based on his experience and grappling. 

Alexey Oleynik by submission. 

yIxfR.jpg

I don't often catch the Fight Pass prelims but I'm going to make an effort to watch this fight. Aiemann Zahabi looks like a legit prospect so far. 7-0 with 6 finishes and he's obviously getting the best coaching available at Tri-Star given his family ties. 

Aiemann Zahabi by KO/TKO. 

So full predictions; 

Bisping - Decision 

Garbrandt - KO/TKO 

Jedrzejczyk - KO/TKO 

Wonderboy - Decision

Borrachinha - KO/TKO 

Duffy - Decision

Harris - KO/TKO 

OSP - Decision

Gall - Submission

Oleynik - Submission

Zahabi - KO/TKO 

• Paid Members

"The boogeywoman eez coming for you" while Rose coldly said a prayer, like a serial killer, was about as intense as it gets.

It also gave us another great JJ picture:
232_Joanna_Jedrzejczyk.jpg

IDK, I smell an upset here, for some reason. There is something about Rose's composure and ability to spring some mad moves that can be devastating.

I'm not sold on Rose really. Joanna has faced against people capable of unleashing some crazy shit, like Andrade with her super-aggressive bull-rush style, and everyone saw how easily she was schooled in the end. JJ is at the peak of her powers at the moment, and the person whom eventually does dethrone her will need to fight an almost perfect fight, similarly to Garbrandt against Cruz, and Conor vs Alvarez. I really don't see Rose being able to do that at the moment. Joanna is so good that even if you are capable of throwing some insane stuff, there's only a tiny chance she doesn't do anything about it.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't say Andrade did anything crazy. I mean a tank like her coming at you constantly is no fun but one thing Andrade isn't is unpredictable. You know what Andrade is going to do. I've called her the female John Lineker a few times on here for that very reason. Rose is definitely the most unpredictable and unorthodox fighter Joanna will have faced yet. The problem I see her having is she's most likely going to be forced into a standup fight because I don't think she's strong enough or good enough a takedown artist to put JJ on her back. And if you take Rose's ground game away, you've basically de-venomised her for the most part. She's a good striker but she's not on Joanna's level. The good thing for us is I think she thinks she is. Rose is going for it tonight, make no mistake. 

For what it's worth I don't think the woman to stop Double J exists at strawweight. I think her first UFC loss comes when she inevitably moves up to conquer flyweight and even then, aside from a potential Shevchenko fight, I can't think of many 125ers out there who trouble her either. 

Archived