UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Fuck Whittaker. Don't be wasting GSP on that boring bastard. Either put him against Woodley in the greatest heel vs. babyface fight of all time, or go straight to the McGregor fight, which is obviously where all this is heading.

Bisping vs. Vitor in London in March for Bisping's retirement fight sounds fucking PERFECT.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think I called every single fight wrong except for Wonderboy vs Masvidal :laugh: but those are the shows that seem to turn out awesome when the things you expect to happen go completely different. They're 2-0 now for killer shows at MSG. This was unbelievable. When the very first prelim on Fight Pass features an undefeated top prospect getting KO'd with a fucking spinning elbow you know it's gearing up to be a nutty one. 

GSP looked incredible. That was probably the best comeback fight I've ever seen. Better than Cruz's blow away performance vs Mizugaki. To come back after so long, go up a division and not only beat a great fighter like Bisping but finish him, it's crazy. 

As perfect as Bisping vs Vitor 2 sounds, the best thing for me about GSP winning tonight is that it's opened the door again for Bisping vs Romero. That fight needs to happen before Bisping retires. Too much has been said and done for it to never happen. Bisping vs Romero is the one. 

I take back everything I said about Rose. Fuck me. Looks like Colin Bollocks' gut feeling was for good reason. That was just insanity. The mad thing is I probably wouldn't pick her in a rematch. It was just her night. She got to Joanna early and was like a sniper. She just never let her recover. Kind of reminded me of Bisping's first round KO of Rockhold. I'm guessing we get an immediate rematch now, given Joanna's previous dominance. I'm gutted Joanna lost but at the same time chuffed to see Rose's hard work pay off. And this is just the shakeup the strawweight division nedded. 

Cody vs TJ was amazing as well. Made it all worth waiting for with the delays and stuff. I said I felt like people were underrating TJ but I still never picked him to win. He looked great here. Easily his best showing since the Barao fights a few years back. 135 at the top end is just one of those divisions where on any given day they can all beat each other. Dillashaw, Garbrandt and Cruz could trade wins for years and probably all end up tied. 

Hendricks should probably stop now. It's not getting any better for him. And it's at the point now where even though I can't stand the prick, I'm not even taking any enjoyment out of seeing him get battered anymore. 

I know this is a pro wrestling forum, but do we have to get all pro wrestling on this? Whittaker might not be a dynamic personality, and in a fight with GSP the build up would be all tame and respectful, but in the cage he's the furthest thing in the world from a boring bastard. He was trying to take Romero's head off while essentially one-legged in his last fight. Whittaker's fight style, against this more aggressive version of GSP (first finish in like a decade, fuck me), would be absolute fireworks. Especially if you factor in a rabid home crowd for Whittaker, getting its first ever taste of UFC action, against a legend of the sport.

Maybe if Robbie started wearing shades and a mink coat it'd be worthwhile. I've got no idea how this 185er bulky GSP is supposed to match up with McGregor either. If Nate Diaz was too big, GSP would ragdoll the lightweight champ.

Damn, I was picking Dillashaw all week but got talked into backing Cody. Could have gone either way though, what a fun nine minutes that was. Top class stuff.

However I did get a handsome win from the bookies via Thug Rose! All week I had visioned her head-kick KOing JJ, and while the head kick came via OSP, I wasn't far wrong!  She was absolutley brilliant.  Already can't wait for their rematch unless JJ goes to 125 now. 

Fair play to Bisping for giving GSP his dues. Maybe if he'd had hung on to the later rounds he'd have been in with a shout as GSP was visibly blowing, but he all but acknowledged that St Pierre was on another level to him.  I'm of the McGregor era so GSP is pretty new to me, but his post-fight interview showed me all I need to know about him. Absolute old school hero.  Vince McMahon take note that's how you do it! 

I would actually love to see GSP v Woodley.  Two true champions. I wonder if he's tempted to just vacate the MW strap? 

• Paid Members

Well GSP said himself when this fight was signed that it was written into his contract that if he beat Bisping he'd defend against Whittaker. So that's most likely next. GSP was usually a 2 fights a year kind of guy so I wouldn't expect a quick turnaround either. I could see GSP vs Whittaker not happening until about May or June time. Maybe even the big July PPV. Sounds a hell of a way off but GSP's never really been the type to fight every 3 months. 

There's loads of different ways this can go but I think GSP will honour the contract and do the Whittaker fight. After that, I see him going back down to 170 to reclaim the belt he never lost. By the time he gets back to 170 we should have seen Woodley vs the Lawler/RDA winner so GSP vs one of them.

And that McGregor fight is bound to happen at some point. GSP since he came back has been banging on about wanting to fight the guy with the 'ighest stock. Who's stock in MMA has ever been higher than McGregor's? Yeah, GSP will be much bigger and he's going to rag McGregor about like a child, but it's going to happen. It'd be the biggest fight in MMA history between two of the biggest stars they've ever had and they're close enough in size to where it can happen. You don't pass those fights up if you're a promoter. That one will happen before GSP calls it a day. He's way too smart to not get that payday. 

• Paid Members

Only Shane and Whitakker's missus want to see the GSP fight, its by far the most boring way they could go with him.

Outrageous night of fights, and almost every fight going the opposite way that I thought they would. Best UFC card in forever.

Bisping/Romero is absolutely the way to go now, and I'd love to see the alluded to DIllashaw/Mighty Mouse superfight. 

• Paid Members

Another brilliant MSG show. Card of the year too, probs.

How bloody delighted I was to see Don GSP come out for the first round and not only look competitive, but very dangerous. What impressed me most was GSP's ability to mix up all his weapons against an opponent we were all sure would be a bugger for him. Bisping did a good job managing to get up, but GSP had a better time of it than most who try and wrestle Bisping, which speaks of GSP's MMA wrestling, once more. Typical GSP that the decisive punch at the end was part of his game plan. Sad Bisping lost, but it's the most Bisping move ever wanting to fight on.
Anyway, seeing them pan to Whittaker post-fight gave me the chills. He's like the Middleweight version of Kane; do one Whittaker, you boring bastard.

Cody v TJ was undeniably brilliant. Speaks to TJ that he somehow managed to takeover the fight after getting such a pasting at the end of the 1st. I'm not a big TJ fan, but it is kind of hilarious that Cody was the one that ended up getting KO'd, when it mattered. Cody talked all manner of crazy trash talk for ages and here we are.

As discussed, I felt Rose had the chance to cause an upset because she seems completely unfazed by everything (eerie composure, even) - JJ has a habit of getting in the opponents head, but Rose wouldn't flinch. Fighting at a big MSG event, that's huge. It reminded me a bit of Holm's composure when she ended Rousey's reign. Plus, it's now pretty undeniable she has an ability to create incredible dynamic moments that change fights. JJ is brilliant, but she tortures the opponent rather than just slicing their heads off; Rose always comes for the head. Although, granted, no one expected Rose to be winning via tap out, in the first, due to strikes. That is fucked up. Just annoyed I fell asleep and forgot to put money on Rose. BOO!
Rose is adorable too.

What a night.

The worst thing about the GSP/Whittaker idea is not just that Whittaker looks like he carries paving slabs for a living and it’s all he’ll talk about, but that I’m utterly convinced that he’d beat GSP fairly handily.

GSP’s natural skill helped him beat a game Bisping, but I didn’t think for one second he looked a natural Middleweight. He looked too heavy and in the second round it looked like he was feeling the pace. A young hungry Middleweight, with more imposing athleticism than Bisping, will probably kill him dead.

I’d rather ride out the fun fights with GSP whilst we can, but if we’re going down the purist route, at least deposit him in his actual weight class.

• Paid Members

Yeah. Honestly, I have no desire to see more MW GSP. For me, the more compelling fights are down weight classes. Woodley v GSP is perfect and I hope Dana realises as much. Plus, they can do GSP v McGregor or Nate Diaz, if GSP does a couple of morning shits.

If you've got your marketing hat on, the perfect story would be for GSP to drop down and beat Woodley, become a consecutive weight champion and have McGregor/GSP fight to see who the better man is.

Woodley would almost certainly screw that up.

• Paid Members

I'm all for GSP not hanging around at 185 but he signed off on defending the title if he won it. So that's obviously what the UFC want and GSP agreed to it. So we're probably stuck with it. 

All that said, if Conor McGregor phones Dana and says he wants the GSP fight next, you just know Dana's going to do as he's told and that 'must defend against Whittaker' clause in GSP's contract will conveniently disappear. 

If GSP vs McGregor ever happens though (and it has to, doesn't it?) then I'm under no illusions that GSP will mop the cage with him. I wouldn't have been sure but after seeing him come back like that last night, I am now.

And you have to remember, that was GSP fighting higher than his optimal weight after 4 years out. That was GSP with the cobwebs and cage rust. As mad as it sounds, he's probably going to look even better in his next fight and when he's back at 170. Fucking alien. 

My favourite thing about GSP is how normal he seems to be when it comes to his attitude to fighting. Pretty much every fighter trots out the whole 'I'm a warrior, me! Any time, any place' schtick, and yet Georges seems like someone who's really not that keen on the whole thing. Not in a 'what a softy' way, but he approaches fights like some folk might approach a skydive or swimming with a shark. He gees himself up for it, smashes it, then when its over looks like he's buzzing tits and glad to be alive.

"....fu...I don't want to swear on TV, but I don't want to do that fight again"

What a man.

Archived