UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Its gotta be Till/Wonderboy surely if you wanna do it in the UK, what a fight that would be.

Wonderboy was calling out Lawler afterwards though so they'll probably go with that. If GSP stays at Middleweight or takes on Conor (which seems unlikely) , it opens the door for Woodley/Covington next for the belt. Id do that then have the winner fight the winner of Lawler/Wonderboy.

So many options.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Meh, that's maybe a fight that would do well with the lapsed fan, but Silva is such a spent force that it's no longer a big deal in my life. I feel like you do that if GSP goes a bit 'BJ Penn' in a year or two (which I doubt).

Sorry for my strong language, GSP, but I dare say I want to see GSP v that no good cuss, Woodley, next. Dana still seems furious with that no good hound dog, however. A shame because I would gladly rest on my sit upon in the wee hours for such a sporting contest.

He has beaten a top 10 mw and if he beats Gastelum then that's two in a row, he nearly beat Bisping and if the third round was 15 seconds longer he would have and it's not like GSP destroyed Bisping, they were 1-1 and Bisping was winning the third even on his back but obviously GSP caught him, knocked him down and choked him out and the fight before that was Cormier on 2 days notice (who was training for Jones), probably every fighter in MMA would lose that fight.

Whittaker deserves the fight first though and to quote Ugly Tony, defend or vacate, if he has no plans to defend the belt let Whittaker fight someone for the real belt.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chunk said:

I don't get the hate for Garbrandt. Is it because I didn't watch the series of TUF he coached?

I watched the Joe Rogan podcast with Cody and Faber and was Team Garbrandt from then on out. TJ sounds like a total tosser.

He just has a habit of acting like a knucklehead, when he's faced with confrontation. One interview he seems like a decent bloke, the next he's acting like a knob.

He was also quite clearly the favourite with the crowd, so the hate isn't huge, I think.

13 minutes ago, the_mole said:

He has beaten a top 10 mw and if he beats Gastelum then that's two in a row, he nearly beat Bisping and if the third round was 15 seconds longer he would have and it's not like GSP destroyed Bisping, they were 1-1 and Bisping was winning the third even on his back but obviously GSP caught him, knocked him down and choked him out and the fight before that was Cormier on 2 days notice (who was training for Jones), probably every fighter in MMA would lose that fight.

Whittaker deserves the fight first though and to quote Ugly Tony, defend or vacate, if he has no plans to defend the belt let Whittaker fight someone for the real belt.

Meh, I had Brunson winning that fight. It's hard to deny Silva isn't what he was - the contentious Brunson decision was his first official win in 5, when you consider he cheated during the Diaz comeback fight.

IDK, I just think it's not that compelling a fight, these days. GSP looks as good as ever, where as Silva is 5 years past his prime. Personally, I think there are far more compelling and interesting fights for GSP - although give me a million Silva matches over the bloody boring Australian fella.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Its gotta be Till/Wonderboy surely if you wanna do it in the UK, what a fight that would be.

Wonderboy was calling out Lawler afterwards though so they'll probably go with that. If GSP stays at Middleweight or takes on Conor (which seems unlikely) , it opens the door for Woodley/Covington next for the belt. Id do that then have the winner fight the winner of Lawler/Wonderboy.

So many options.

Lawler's got Dos Anjos to get past first though in a couple of weeks. 

Wonderboy vs Till for me. Failing that, I'd just wait and give Till the winner of Perry/Ponzy. 

Welterweight is such a strong division. You can mix and match the Top 15 or 20 and there's so many good fights to make. 

12 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Is GSP v Silva such a long shot? This will be our final chance to have this as a title fight.

I think Silva's relevance to the current game is near non-existent. He's still recognised as an all-time great, but you could easily forget that he's still active. His fights generate little buzz

If they fought, I would pick GSP. Bisping's work on the bottom against GSP was excellent, but GSP still managed to get him on his back more than once. I think Anderson would be easier to takedown and control than Bisping was this past weekend. I feel that GSP vs Anderson - on current form - would resemble Anderson vs Sonnen 1; just without the late submission. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Is that a genuine offer? I'll buy you the fucking gun myself if it is. 

😂

id go with the fight though. There's no other real immediate option if you wanna get Woodley out there soon. Covington's got buzz too (good or bad, its buzz) and i dont think its worth risking losing that whilst there's a clear path to Woodley.

* The winner of Lawler/RDA gets the winner of Covington/Woodley.

* Have Wonderboy fight Till, if Till wins you have another nailed in contender, if Wonderboy wins hes taken another step towards earning another shot (which he needs to earn if Woodley remains champ).

* Have Masvdial/Maia 2 (Masvidal has said he wants to do it) in a proper sink or swim type fight.

• Paid Members

couple of random things about 217 i wanted to mention...

* Daniel Cormier really has been a revelation on commentary, he was good with Jon Gooden the week previously too, but when he gets on with Rogan and Anik it's a great combination. DC just sounds like a kid having the time of his life in the booth, the enthusiasm is infectious. I imagine there's some fun police out there who'd like the commentary to be more serious and straight down the middle, but fuck that when you can make it fun like DC im all for it. I was a fan of Brian Stann and was disappointed when he left, but Stann was someone who called very much straight and informative, DC is a different approach but i prefer it.

How did anyone ever dislike Daniel Cormier?

* The other thing was giving a shout out to TJ Dillashaw's choice of walkout T-Shirt, i didn't read anyone mention it, but the snakeskin print was a nice touch, the cheeky fucker.

tj-dillashaw-ufc-217-reebok-walkout-shir

Dillashaw's win was incredible. That picture posted earlier in the thread summed it up, picture of the year that is for me. He's been made a heel in the whole Alpha Male case and to throw it back in the crowd's faces at MSG was amazing, the range of emoitions in that single image, incredible

• Paid Members

DC is easily my favourite commentator now. Might be wrong but I think the first time he was in the booth was as a guest for the Jones vs OSP fight last year and straight away I thought he was in his element. I'm a huge fan of his as a fighter and in general but I actually think I like him best as a commentator. 

On the flipside, I wish they'd fuck Kenny Florian off as an analyst. I never feel like he's giving particularly good insight or like he even really gives a fuck. On top of that he has all the personality of a dry Ryvita and I don't find him at all likeable. In a time when you've got a wealth of really good analysts - Cruz, Rashad, Woodley, I think Miesha Tate is really good when she pops up as well, Felder - Florian is nearly always the least interesting voice on the panel. 

• Paid Members

DC is all golden. Has a clue and is never not completely lovable. I still prefer Cruz, like, but DC is still brilliant at the gig. Rogan and him seem like great mates too, which helps.

I also thought that was Jon Anik's best PPV show yet. His rhythm with Joe and DC/Cruz has usually seemed a bit off, but he was WAAAAY more relaxed and in sync on this show.

• Paid Members

Zahabi lost :( I'm hoping, with the coaching he gets from Firas, he's one of those for whom losing the zero goes on to galvanise him and makes him amazing. I love his fighting style, and I want to see him go on to do really well.

Analysis-wise, I like DC, but I also prefer Cruz - the sheer depth and insight of the analysis he provides is incredible, not to mention that his ability to present it in digestible but precise and clear language is excellent.

I don't mind Cormier on commentary but he really needs to learn that he doesn't have to speak every second that someone else isn't, his excitability lets him down there - he's like a kid after a full pack of Sour Patch Kids. There were tons of times him and Rogan were just talking over each other needlessly on this show, it can put you off the fights happening for a split second.

My main gripe on this show was the whole shouting "THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE! THUG ROSE!" x12, it felt so fucking forced and unnatural. Kinda off-putting when there's a fantastic genuinely emotional moment happening in the cage and all you can hear is him still shouting that even a minute after it happened.

Fantastic show though, that main card delivered on everything.

Archived