UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

"The boogeywoman eez coming for you" while Rose coldly said a prayer, like a serial killer, was about as intense as it gets.

It also gave us another great JJ picture:
232_Joanna_Jedrzejczyk.jpg

IDK, I smell an upset here, for some reason. There is something about Rose's composure and ability to spring some mad moves that can be devastating.

I think you'll be slightly alone there CB. This has an air of Mighty Mouse vs Ray Borg about it for me. Rose is getting thrown into the mincer in this one I think. That's what makes MMA so much fun though. Even the biggest of underdog's nearly always have a clear way that they could win a fight. It's usually about their ability to make the fight happen where they need it to. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
12 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Even the biggest of underdog's nearly always have a clear way that they could win a fight. It's usually about their ability to make the fight happen where they need it to. 

And that's the thing. I think Rose needs this on the ground to win. But one, she's not a takedown type of fighter. And two, even if she gets Joanna down in a wild scramble or something, I can't see her keeping her there long enough to make it count. If powerhouses like Gadelha and Andrade couldn't keep Joanna down then I have a really hard time envisioning Rose doing it. 

Like Egg says, Rose's chance to pull this off lives and dies off her catching Joanna with something wacky. She has shown she's capable of that before and she doesn't necessarily need to get the takedown the traditional way to trap you in a submission. She'll go for a standing rear naked choke or a flying armbar if she gets even a sniff of a chance. But there's a reason we haven't seen that from her of late and that's because she's in with stiffer opposition these days. To catch someone the quality of Joanna Jedrzejczyk with a low success rate technique like a standing RNC or flying armbar is going to be extremely difficult to pull off. 

I'd love to see Rose surprise us and make a proper fight out of this. And I think she's nuts enough to go for it enough to make it a fight. But ultimately and realistically I think her chances boil down to low success rate Tekken shit with lightning bolts coming off it. I can't see her bettering Joanna for any significant spells. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

And that's the thing. I think Rose needs this on the ground to win. But one, she's not a takedown type of fighter. And two, even if she gets Joanna down in a wild scramble or something, I can't see her keeping her there long enough to make it count. If powerhouses like Gadelha and Andrade couldn't keep Joanna down then I have a really hard time envisioning Rose doing it. 

Like Egg says, Rose's chance to pull this off lives and dies off her catching Joanna with something wacky. She has shown she's capable of that before and she doesn't necessarily need to get the takedown the traditional way to trap you in a submission. She'll go for a standing rear naked choke or a flying armbar if she gets even a sniff of a chance. But there's a reason we haven't seen that from her of late and that's because she's in with stiffer opposition these days. To catch someone the quality of Joanna Jedrzejczyk with a low success rate technique like a standing RNC or flying armbar is going to be extremely difficult to pull off. 

I'd love to see Rose surprise us and make a proper fight out of this. And I think she's nuts enough to go for it enough to make it a fight. But ultimately and realistically I think her chances boil down to low success rate Tekken shit with lightning bolts coming off it. I can't see her bettering Joanna for any significant spells. 

Indeed, that's what I'm imagining. I won't argue with anyone that says otherwise, like, because it's just a hunch. If Rose just stands there it's going to be a long night for her, but she's very capable of getting a finish.

• Paid Members

Just been watching some stuff, anyone else get the impression that Rose is terrified? Joanna is driving home the mind games and getting in Rose's face, Rose saying a prayer to herself as it's all happening, some people will say she's just staying calm and focussed but i don't think she's enjoying the experience.

She's always come off as a miserable cunt whenever there's a bit of public spotlight on her thought doesn't she? Press conferences, weigh ins, it's all usually the same stoic expression.

I mean look at this!

• Paid Members

Rose has been through a shitload. Seriously, for a young woman she's been through more than most. She comes from a Lithuanian family that escaped the Soviet Union and came to America, she was sexually abused as a kid and her dad was schizophrenic and died when she was 16.

Compared to that, some woman (even if it is Joanna fucking Jedrzejczyk!) mean mugging you and putting her fist up to your face ain't no thang but a chicken wing.

Definitely excited for this card after seeing the weigh-ins. Joanna is a nutter. I mean that in the best possible way, don't hurt me, Miss Champion!

As much as I hate it, I think Bisping gets this one, maybe even by stoppage as the fight goes on and the champ pushes his trademark pace while Georges struggles with the size difference. Even if GSP is able to get Bisping down, I can't see him being able to keep him there. I know St Pierre's bread and butter was his MMA wrestling, but he was a smaller welterweight- particularly relative to the current crop- and he's dealing with a much bigger opponent in the former light heavyweight Bisping. The size and the 4 year layoff... my belief in Captain Canada is not high at all. The best thing about all this is that no matter who wins, they're facing Robert Whittaker in Perth on Feb 11, and you can bet your candy ass I'll be cage-side!

Garbrandt vs. Dillashaw is going to be a really high level fight. I think the match of styles has gotten a little lost in the Alpha Male drama. You've got two aggressive, powerful strikers who are capable on the ground as well. I think TJ has the edge if it goes there, but picking No Love to uppercut young Dilly's head into Section 111.

Joanna via murder. Rose's style will make things interesting if they get in any kind of grappling situation, but I can't see past The Boogeywoman backing Thug up to the cage and just teeing off relentlessly.

It really speaks to the depth of the card when hardly anyone is talking about Stephen Thompson vs. Jorge Masvidal. I don't know what to expect out of Wonderboy half the time, but I see Masvidal pushing the pace, allowing opportunities for Thompson to counter with some crazy shit, but ultimately I think Masvidal grinds it out with grappling and cage work for the UD.

Can't wait to see Borrachinha destroy Pigg Rigg.

It was only in doing my predictions league that I realised Mickey Gall was on the card. That should be a bright spot of the prelims.

The only potential stinker I see on the whole card is OSP vs. Anderson. And that's down to Beastin' 25/8 being a general shit show of a fighter.

10 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

The best thing about all this is that no matter who wins, they're facing Robert Whittaker in Perth on Feb 11, and you can bet your candy ass I'll be cage-side!

I know that must be the UFC's plan but theres so much that can wrong with that idea I can't see it. Whoever wins tonight would basically be going straight back into a training camp tomorrow. Both are battle worn guys in their mid 30's, I'm guessing tonights main goes 4-5 rounds. The chance of injuries is high. Just getting tonights fight together took the best part of a year. Bisping was completely dismissive of fighting in Perth when asked the other day, basically saying no bloody way unless they get their checkbook out. God knows what GSP does if he wins, alot are thinking vacate.

With possible retirements/vacating I could see Whittaker fighting someone for the proper belt then but I doubt if its gonna be GSP or Bisping.

Odds on GSP calling out Conor with a win tonight?

Makes a fair bit of sense for him. Georges at Middleweight isn't really going to be a thing, is it? He's more likely than not one and done in this division. GSP vs McGregor could be the biggest fight in the history of the sport, especially with the backstory of GSP being the first guy to win three different belts. I do get the feeling that was the plan, for those two lads to go at it - especially after GSP showed up out of nowhere at 196. Maybe there's a whole different reason as to why negotiations with McGregor are stalling?

1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I know that must be the UFC's plan but theres so much that can wrong with that idea I can't see it. Whoever wins tonight would basically be going straight back into a training camp tomorrow. Both are battle worn guys in their mid 30's, I'm guessing tonights main goes 4-5 rounds. The chance of injuries is high. Just getting tonights fight together took the best part of a year. Bisping was completely dismissive of fighting in Perth when asked the other day, basically saying no bloody way unless they get their checkbook out. God knows what GSP does if he wins, alot are thinking vacate.

With possible retirements/vacating I could see Whittaker fighting someone for the proper belt then but I doubt if its gonna be GSP or Bisping.

It's 110% the plan, lots of Aussie news outlets reporting it, and Whittaker is in New York. First Aussie champ and he started his career in Perth. And UFC will absolutely get the chequebook out, Bisping is just being his usual cunty self.

Solid point about the injuries/age though. :( If GSP wins and vacates, or if Bisping wins and retires, I'd be on board with Whittaker vs. Rockhold for the proper MW strap in Perth.

That was one hell of a Main Card. I will probably write more tomorrow, but for now I will say that was the best GSP fight since the mid-00's. You could argue that it's the best GSP fight ever; only his first fight with Penn perhaps surpasses it.

I was not overly keen to see GSP, but it was worth it for that performance. The greatest MMA fighter to date has now added "two weight" World Champion to his resume. Bisping didn't disgrace himself at all. He had his moments, and it looked good for him after some exchanges. Beyond his performance this evening, he deserved that occasion for being an honest man who didn't take short cuts at a time where it was the norm.

Overall, one of the best night I have had as an MMA fan. 

So, as much as I wanted to see Whittaker beat Bisping, seeing GSP do it here was equally satisfying. Praying we get Whittaker vs. GSP in Perth. GSP has some cuts, but beyond that he didn't take major damage that would see him medically suspended. Whittaker's a former WW, so GSP doesn't have to worry about facing a bigger man. It makes sense, just do it!

Definitely one of the strongest PPV cards ever. I don't want to overrate it in the moment, but it absolutely could be the best, for the shock factor, the venue, the story in GSP's return. The comparable ones for me are UFC 100 and UFC 116, 100 for the moments and it was obviously stacked, and 116 for the action. The three title fights we saw today showcased MMA at its most sublime.

Archived