General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I think Rodgers still has lots to give and may suit Arsenal (attacking football, promoting youth) I also think he wouldn't reunite the fans either which is what Arsenal need right now. 

I would give it a month before we see Rodgers Out signs, other names in the running would probably get the benefit of the doubt for a season or two. 

Hope Wenger gets a nice send off and the Europa League trophy. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I think you're right there, a lot of the fans won't give him much of a chance. Of course I don't think the fans should dictate who comes in whatsoever, but Rodgers will certainly create/maintain that divide. He'd need to really hit the ground running and then some.

I'm not sold on Luis Enrique either. I'm definitely warming to the idea of Vieira but would prefer Jardim from the realistic options.

• Paid Members

I wonder if Unai Emery is in the frame. Not heard his name mentioned much, but with him leaving PSG, and given the timing of the Wenger announcement it certainly seems plausible. Not sure it's the option I would ideally go for, but I can see the logic. 

• Paid Members

I'd be interested to see what Ancelloti could do for them with some investment.

Still getting my head around Wenger finishing up - he's been around since I first started following football religiously and you just naturally associate him and the club as being one and the same, ala Ferguson and United. 

Ancelotti would be an interesting one - though he's gone into his last few clubs with much better squads at his disposal so wonder how he would fare in that regard. 

• Paid Members

Trying to think on, but having a block. Was Wenger the first of the foreign managers to come over and manage in the Premier League?

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Is there a consensus pick for the next manager @PunkStep? That one manager to unify 99% of the fans. 

There really isn't, and I think that sums up the fact that there isn't one glaringly obvious candidate. I don't really know who I want anymore, but I think whoever it is (with some exceptions, such as Rodgers) the fans will give their full backing as it is change- and ultimately change is what everyone wanted rather than anyone specific.

4 hours ago, mim731 said:

I wonder if Unai Emery is in the frame. 

He's Sociedad-bound if you believe reports from various outlets. That's done enough to give him long odds for the Arsenal job.

3 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Kane's did himself no favours claiming that Eriksson goal has he? Had a bit of a shit time since that all came out. Like official twitter accounts from Roma and the FA are taking the piss out of him.

Some of the journos are getting all precious about the 'Chris Smalling's pocket' tweet from The FA. I do think the tone was a bit off from The FA (as a professional body), but that's not what they're crying about. They're whining that it could affect Kane psychologically going into the World Cup. Have a fucking word.

The press aren't the same and protective when it comes to Raheem Sterling though, strangely enough. I can't qwhite understand why...

• Paid Members

You're obsessed mate.

Back onto the 'Raheem treated differently by the press' subject, this from the Daily Mail (I know...) has been doing the rounds. The inclusion of the word 'despite' is so bizarre, it's either poor use of the English language or they expect him to not eat as a consequence of failure. Given the outlet, I'd imagine the latter.

IMG_20180424_122307.jpg

Is there any particular reason Arsenal fans want Viera as manager besides nostalgia? Being a great PL player didn't really translate in successful careers  for Keane, Shearer etc. Massive gamble on someone completely unproven as a top level manager.

I think a steadying hand like Anceloti for a season or two, then a transition into someone a bit more long term would be the way to go. Going to be a shock to the entire club having Wenger gone, at least having someone like Carlo, with a huge wealth of experience, would make things easier at the start.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, DCW said:

Is there any particular reason Arsenal fans want Viera as manager besides nostalgia? Being a great PL player didn't really translate in successful careers  for Keane, Shearer etc. Massive gamble on someone completely unproven as a top level manager.

In fairness, Shearer had absolutely no experience in management or coaching when he took over a Newcastle side plummeting towards relegation. That was a terrible appointment. Keane actually did brilliant during his first season at Sunderland, but nobody does well with them in the Premier League. The job is a poisoned chalice.

Shite league or not, he finished 2nd with NYC in the Eastern Conference last season and they're currently top this season. I don't know too much about his time there but many are impressed. He did pretty well with the City reserves too.

His path of taking over the reserve side (and affiliate) of a big club to gain experience before joining a big side isn't the worst idea and it could work out. Look at Pep and Zidane.

Henry on the other hand, nah.

Archived