General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

That's something I've always wondered about: why do Spurs and West Ham hate each other so much? Spurs and Arsenal's obvious, and perhaps Chelsea because of their level of success, but there are loads of other London clubs to hate, so why West Ham in particular (and the same question to WHU fans about Spurs).

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That's something I've always wondered about: why do Spurs and West Ham hate each other so much? Spurs and Arsenal's obvious, and perhaps Chelsea because of their level of success, but there are loads of other London clubs to hate, so why West Ham in particular (and the same question to WHU fans about Spurs).

Where to fucking start? I tell you what, I know EXACTLY where to start. 30th July 1966. The day they won the World Cup. Absolute dicks.

Add to that, the amount of times I've been to Upton Park and been spat on/punched/had bottles thrown at me/pushed/called a jew cunt/had gassing sounds aimed towards us; The fact that they only get up for their Cup Finals against us; Thinking they 'won' the London Stadium over us...lolz; Alan Pardew; the fact their fans are all BREXITMEANSBREXIT; many, MANY other reasons. I absolutely fucking HATE them.

Plus I can't hate Chelsea as my family are all Chelsea and I can't hate Arsenal as my ex and my eldestdaughter are both Gooners, and i'm very fond of them :)

• Paid Members

I don't hate any clubs really. I go through phases of disliking people associated with clubs, if that makes sense.

1. Gary Caldwell

2. Brendan Rodgers

3. A lot of the modern day footballing brats

4. Danny Murphy

5. Kyle Lafferty

6. Karren Brady

7. Koeman (R)

8. Daniel Sturridge

9. Carlos Tevez

10. At the moment, Everton on the whole. Fucking farcical it is. Toxic. The lot of it.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Thanks, you've totally clarified my point.  If "Very little" consists of about 5 FA cups, A European Cup Winners Cup, a European Super Cup, A League Cup in 27 years, practically every English club would take it.  What sets Man Utd glory hunters apart from the rest is that sense of entitlement.  It's also at my number one because one I grew up, there were a lot of Man Utd fans in Coventry who were the dirt worst.  Even in 87 they were hoping Coventry would lose in every round of the FA Cup because they hated the idea of a little team who beat their almighty getting a cup they didn't deserve.

Hold on. That's not what I meant, and I apologise for not being clearer, but I meant "very little" in comparison to Liverpool, because that's the context we're talking about. On winning the Premiership the first time, United got way more vitriol than Liverpool appears to get, yet had won significantly less than they did at that point.

Furthermore, even in United's original glory years in the 50s and 60s, it wasn't a total domination like Liverpool's for twenty years - five league titles over two decades is of course very successful, and any fan would take it, but up to 1992-3, United's record was a distant second to Liverpool's, and Arsenal's record was comparable. 

I'd understand the shit that gets thrown at United now, after a similar period of twenty years of dominance, but the first league win in 27 years, and the hatred seemed to kick in almost instantly. 

Also, this "glory hunter" thing - again, I don't ever hear anyone levelling that at any Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea fans. It's virtually cliché now. And I've been to United games (not shitloads, we couldn't afford it) since my dad took me to my first at five years old.

A football hate list is always fun.

1 - Steve Kean

2 - Jerome Anderson

3 - Venkys

4 - Burnley

5 - Paul Cook

6 - Will Grigg

7 - Games moved from a Saturday to a Thursday night for Sky

8 - International Breaks for friendlys

9 - Preston fans gloating at being in a higher league than us for 1 season out of the last 40.

9 - Jim White

10 - Alan Pardew

• Paid Members

There's pictures of me at United's training ground when I was about 7. Next time I'm up at me da's I'll take a few pics of them and show yiz. Pictures taken and autographs with/from the likes of Viv Anderson, Brian McClair, Moran, Big Paul McGrath, Robson, Whiteside  Strachan...pretty much the whole squad except Liam O'Brien who was an absolute prick to everyone, and I have the sulkiest bastard face in every single picture except for the ones with Paul McGrath and Jesper Olsen (because he drove a white porsche).

I was bulling that my Uncle Frankie wouldn't drive me to Goodison so I spent the whole time sulking while meeting these players, and I wore my Everton jersey and shorts out of spite and protest but was asked to put my jacket on by some chap with a moustache and to zip it up.

My mates, 31 years later, still give me stick over being a Manc glory hunter.

• Paid Members

My hate list:

1) Leeds Utd

2) The Sheffield Clubs

3) C.Ronaldo

4) Football fans who use terms like "Loserpool" or "ManUre", etc... 

5) The term "Plastic" when it comes to fans of sucesful clubs

6) The big club/small club debate, aka "we're bigger than you"...

7) VAR in it's current form

8) Parachute payments

9) Manchester Utd

10) Soccer AM 

45 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Also, this "glory hunter" thing - again, I don't ever hear anyone levelling that at any Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea fans

Really?  It's always been the case with Liverpool.  Add to that how Arsenal and Chelsea are both London clubs so I can see why a Londoner would support them and not get the tag.  We clearly move in different footballing circles.

I've said this before on here but this is my description to a Man Utd fan from Coventry as to why they're not a worse fan, but a different one.

In a parallel universe, Coventry City are the most successful team in England.  They have the biggest stadium, the biggest trophy haul, the biggest sponsorship deals, transfer fees, money etc.  Manchester United are a struggling team in the bottom flight of league football who have won one trophy in their history, don't even own their own ground, are financially embarrassed and on the bring of administration every year.

Now, in that universe I'd still be a Coventry City fan, but there is absolutely no chance they'd be a Manchester United fan.  That's the definition of a glory supporter right there in my book.

I guess I should add that I'm from a different generation.  If you wanted to see a team when I was growing up you had to go to the game, now you can stream it or watch it on the TV, as David called them "The Red Button Generation".  Perhaps that's why there are many fans who support a team that isn't local to them because they have the opportunity to do so.  I think it explains why so many Irish are either Liverpool or Man Utd fans as those were the teams they saw most often on MOTD growing up.

• Paid Members

I ended up supporting Chelsea less because I'm a glory hunter and more because I emanate from the barren wasteland of football that is South Wiltshire. The nearest clubs in the football league to me when growing up were Swindon, a place I didn't even visit until I was 10, Yeovil, which is a hole and somewhere I have no affinity with and Bristol, which I also had no knowledge of at the time. The extent of my thought process in choosing Chelsea when I was at school was that I liked the colour of their shirts and they always seemed to be in entertaining games in the mid 90's. Little did I know that we would bore our way to endless trophies a few years later. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Really?  It's always been the case with Liverpool.  Add to that how Arsenal and Chelsea are both London clubs so I can see why a Londoner would support them and not get the tag.  We clearly move in different footballing circles.

I've said this before on here but this is my description to Man Utd in Coventry as to why they're not a worse fan, but a different one.

In a parallel universe, Coventry City are the most successful team in England.  They have the biggest stadium, the biggest trophy haul, the biggest sponsorship deals, transfer fees, money etc.  Manchester United are a struggling team in the bottom flight of league football who have won one trophy in their history, don't even own their own ground, are financially embarrassed and on the bring of administration every year.

Now, in that universe I'd still be a Coventry City fan, but there is absolutely no chance they'd be a Manchester United fan.  That's the definition of a glory supporter right there in my book.

I guess I should add that I'm from a different generation.  If you wanted to see a team when I was growing up you had to go to the game, now you can stream it or watch it on the TV, as David called them "The Red Button Generation".  Perhaps that's why there are many fans who support a team that isn't local to them because they have the opportunity to do so.  I think it explains why so many Irish are either Liverpool or Man Utd fans as those were the teams they saw most often on MOTD growing up.

Yep - never heard or seen anything like that with Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea fans. With United, it's almost a reflex response: eye roll, "glory hunter/supporter", "have you even been to Old Trafford?", etc. Even knew a Blackburn supporter from north London in the mid-90s, and no-one said shit to him. You may be right that we move in different circles.

As to my fandom, I was raised a United supporter by my dad. Most Mauritians you'll meet support English teams - usually Liverpool, United, and Arsenal. Mainly because it's a former British colony, and they got English football there even back in the 50s; also because Mauritian football is not only shit, it's riven with bizarre ethno-religious sectarianism - you had the Scouts (Muslim), Cadets (Hindu), Tamil League (Tamil, obvs.), Faucon Noir (creoles/blacks), and there were a couple others for the Chinese and the whites. Vicious stuff, lots of fights, deaths, maimings, etc. The government only put a stop to that about ten years ago when they abolished all the teams and set up a new league in its place with less controversial but equally shit teams. 

Anyway, my dad, like a lot of Mauritians, grew up supporting United. Half my Mauritian family support them or Liverpool, except for my uncle Abdul, who supports Spurs. There's an Ipswich supporter in the south somewhere, but for the most part, it's the three teams I mentioned. With a United supporter for a dad who, the moment he got to the UK, enrolled in Manchester University, it didn't matter where we lived - my sisters and I are United supporters.

The nearest club to me geographically is Arsenal. Was never going to happen, even without my father's influence, for one simple reason: the sheer amount of shit Arsenal fans caused in the local area on a regular basis. I just had them down as a bunch of hooligan wankers. Might have ended up a Spurs fan otherwise.

26 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Most Mauritians you'll meet support English teams - usually Liverpool, United, and Arsenal. Mainly because it's a former British colony, and they got English football there even back in the 50s; also because Mauritian football is not only shit, it's riven with bizarre ethno-religious sectarianism - you had the Scouts (Muslim), Cadets (Hindu), Tamil League (Tamil, obvs.), Faucon Noir (creoles/blacks), and there were a couple others for the Chinese and the whites. Vicious stuff, lots of fights, deaths, maimings, etc. The government only put a stop to that about ten years ago when they abolished all the teams and set up a new league in its place with less controversial but equally shit teams. 

Wow, that's fascinating!  I love hearing about stuff like this.  I knew an Algerian Kabyle chap who was a Juve nut because of Zidane, when he moved to Real, they became his second team.  I remember knowing African guys who supported Arsenal because they had Africans, things like that I can completely understand the fandom.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Ok go on, you've piqued my interest. Why Sonny? That one's a bit leftfield!

Because he always fucking scored against me in CM 97/98.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wow, that's fascinating!  I love hearing about stuff like this.  I knew an Algerian Kabyle chap who was a Juve nut because of Zidane, when he moved to Real, they became his second team.  I remember knowing African guys who supported Arsenal because they had Africans, things like that I can completely understand the fandom.

It's the same with [classiccarbomb] Japan as well. Most Japanese football fans I've met who have an interest in non-J-League stuff tend to support players, rather than teams, so, for example, when Beckham hit the big time, he was massively popular, and a number of Japanese people went from being United fans to Real fans to L.A. Galaxy fans.[/classiccarbomb]

Archived