General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

OK, let me answer this stuff properly and let me explain why this transfer is absolutely nothing like the Robinho and Mascherano / Tevez situations.

1) Robinho was an established international who had just spent 3 seasons at Real Madrid and had already played 40-odd times for Brazil. He was not a young, fledgling talent.

2) Tevez was an established international who had several seasons of top flight football behind him, and had already played 20-odd times for Argentina. He was not a fledgling talent.

3) Mascherano was an established international who had several seasons of top flight football behind him, albeit interrupted by a couple of serious injuries. and had already played 20-odd times for Argentina. He was not a fledgling talent.

4) Ruben Neves has started roughly 40 odd games for Porto in the last 3 seasons. He has started once for the national team. He IS a young fledgling talent.

Now these are all facts.

What links all these players? That they have transferred to surprise clubs. That's a fact, too. I might slightly dispute that in the case of Robinho as he was one of the first players bought at the start of City's magic money tree, but still a surprise to most, so fine. But the facts above show WHY he is absolutely not in the class of these players.

I also think there's a clue in the reaction online to these transfers. Nobody gives a shit. I didn't see his name trending on Twitter. I only heard he'd signed from you on here. How do you think that would have compared to the reaction if Twitter was around back around the Robinho and Tevez / Mascherano deals? They'd be the top trends worldwide. Guaranteed. The only people that care are Wolves fans.

Your claim is that Neves is one of the most sought after young talents in European football. He's been linked with a whole host of clubs. In the media. Now, why would he go to Wolves if he had apparently had the choice of the best clubs in Europe? Is he going there because he thinks, "Nah, fuck Chelsea and PSG and Juventus, Wolverhampton's the place to be!"? I would suggest not although I'm sure Wolverhampton is lovely.

I think the clue is also in the fee. £18 million. A lot of money for a Championship side, certainly. But absolute peanuts to all the alleged suitors that were chasing him. If they wanted him, they would have got him. It's as simple as that. I don't doubt there are absolute nutcase Wolves fans who want to believe they've outjumped Juventus and PSG and whoever to buy "one of the world's most talented young midfielders" but just exactly how likely IS that?

If he IS so highly prized, why the low fee? Let's compare him to some of his peers and the fees they are rumoured to be worth:-

Bakayoko - between 40 to 50 million

Fabinho - between 40 to 55 million

Nabi Keita - between 50 to 70 million

Andre Gomes - around 40 million

Renato Sanches - between 40 to 60 million

Now those are just off the top of my head, five young midfielders widely regarded to be amongst the best in the world, all of whom are already playing for established clubs and who could have their pick of teams in Europe (and China). All of them valued far, far more highly than Neves. All of them with full seasons and multiple international appearances behind them. None of them are going to Wolves.

Like I said above, I can understand Wolves fans being excited, so they should be. He's got potential, very little of which he has fulfilled in his career so far. But the overstatement of his talents, achievements, the magnitude of the deal and the comparative impact it's had on the world of football has been hugely and ridiculously overstated by you.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The low fee is a very interesting topic. Only a few weeks ago Chelsea, Liverpool, Monaco and Juve were sniffing around and were quoted  £40million, his release clause. 

Move on a matter of days and no bid of that nature has been forthcoming, however UEFAs deadline for FFP is fast approaching, Porto manage to offload a few including Silva to Milan but haven't met their needed total and face fines and potential bans from European competition. The deadline approaches and a certain agent with ties to one of their players and a club over in the sunny West Midlands who has knowledge of exactly what is needed makes a play, Fosun hand over the funds within hours, something a lot of clubs can't do. It's cut throat and Porto get what they need and only that for a player they didn't really want to sell, but because he's one of the few players they have that they 100% 'own' it has to happen to save Porto from sanctions.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Teedy Kay said:

The low fee is a very interesting topic. Only a few weeks ago Chelsea, Liverpool, Monaco and Juve were sniffing around and were quoted  £40million, his release clause. 

Were they sniffing around him though? I'm guessing probably not. 90%+ of media reported 'linked with' instances are either engineered by agents to drive up their client's value or they are completely fabricated by the media for sales/clickbait. Given who his agent is, and the fact he's not a particularly well-known name, I'm guessing the former.

Since I started this post, Man United have probably been linked with a dozen more footballers with a potential 80+ rating on FIFA 17. Sniffing around, linked with, looking at- it's all usually bollocks.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, patiirc said:

Ganso, who promised so so much when he was riding to the top along with Neymar, and then promptly fell off a cliff

Do you mean to say he bombed?

Take it from someone who has a geekish following of his clubs transfer business. Nobody worth their salt has ever linked Liverpool to Neves. I'm sure all the top clubs have watched him with interest but no substantial move for him has ever been mooted by any one half reliable.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

Said exactly the same thing about Costa.

By all means, if he sticks around I'll be ecstatic for you guys, a few friends are fans of the club so I do have a good feeling towards them but its all a bit just mad really..

• Paid Members

Lacazette to Arsenal is apparently all but done and ready to be announced tomorrow/Tuesday according to...well just about everybody. Supposed fee ranges somewhere between £40-50m, certainly appears to be a record signing for us.

We're still very much in for Lemar (right about now he's 50/50. Anybody? No?) and also Mahrez according to a number of people. One of the rags reckon Ox has turned down our contract offer, which is a shame and I think we'll end up losing him. 

God knows what's going to happen with Sanchez but we can't be stupid enough to sell him to City. Surely not.

Archived