General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

That Villa thing is just awful. What an appropriate way to welcome such a person to a club.

I thought it was brilliant. First interesting thing Villa have done for 25 years.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's the transfer of JT to Villa any different from his gaffers own to Birmingham 20 years previously. I really can't work out why so many are agog... It's not like many aging and near end of the road players have ever played in the Championship..

Heck, we got involved 7 years ago, signing David, flaptastic James :(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bristol-city/7918951/David-James-signs-for-Bristol-City.html. Deffo no family man during his time here :p

• Paid Members

Terry's still a fine defender, and likely will be until he retires. In a deep back-line, he'd still have probably been Chelsea's best defender last season. The three at the back was just beyond him at 36. I think he'd still have been very good in the Premier League for a West Brom-like side. Championship isn't going to be a worry for him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, patiirc said:

How's the transfer of JT to Villa any different from his gaffers own to Birmingham 20 years previously. I really can't work out why so many are agog... It's not like many aging and near end of the road players have ever played in the Championship..

Heck, we got involved 7 years ago, signing David, flaptastic James :(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bristol-city/7918951/David-James-signs-for-Bristol-City.html. Deffo no family man during his time here :p

He's hardly David James, is he? He's an England captain who has won everything there is to win including just becoming a 4 time Premier League winner. Every logic said he'd stay in the PL or move to China/USA for mega bucks. This is very left-field. Equivilent to Bryan Robson pitching up at Boro - though he was player/manager.

It looks like a story that only has two possible endings. Either he lifts the trophy in May as Bruce seals his 875th promotion from the Championship or he Sol Campbell's it chasing rapid youngsters Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday and chucks it in January.

Mike Ashley's in court for allegedly reneging on a £15m deal with a banker made whilst drunk at a lock in:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/03/sports-direct-founder-pubs-mike-ashley?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Fiver+2016&utm_term=233453&subid=1279386&CMP=EMCFTBEML853

“After approximately 12 pints and chasers Pawel [Pawlowski] apologised profusely and had to excuse himself,” Blue stated in written evidence submitted to the court. “Mr Ashley then vomited into the fireplace located in the centre of the bar, to huge applause from his senior management team.”

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

He's hardly David James, is he? He's an England captain who has won everything there is to win including just becoming a 4 time Premier League winner. Every logic said he'd stay in the PL or move to China/USA for mega bucks. This is very left-field. Equivilent to Bryan Robson pitching up at Boro - though he was player/manager.

It looks like a story that only has two possible endings. Either he lifts the trophy in May as Bruce seals his 875th promotion from the Championship or he Sol Campbell's it chasing rapid youngsters Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday and chucks it in January.

And as I said at the start it echoes Steve Bruce's (JT's) gaffers move to Birmingham in 1996. 

SB just won the Double with United and moved to Birmingham, who at that point had the likes of Ian Bennett, Louie Donowa and Ricky Otto and finished 15th

JT is moving to a team who have got lots of money and parachute payments and so on

SB moved to a team which had seen Liam Daish and Steve Claridge sold.

And not much else going for it.

JT's move isnt really a shock, especially given his gaffer and if he has coaching aspirations.

The Championship old 1st division has always had it's share of marquee players

From Glenn Hoddle transferring from Monaco in 1991 to become Swindon Town boss via Chelsea. It's all there and not that radical..

• Moderators

It's actually all massively different. It's not 1991, nor 6 anymore. Money, fitness and standards have changed massively, as has the "marquee player" culture of the game. That should be obvious to anyone to something resembling a passing interest in football. Your post doesn't actually make sense. You compare Bruce to Terry, call it similar, then mention on one hand RICKY OTTO, then compare it to lots of money and parachute payments and say the moves echo each other. They don't. They really, really don't. As your own argument will tell you.

Fuck me ragged Pat, you're talking bollocks. Read that post back to yourself.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I thought it was brilliant. First interesting thing Villa have done for 25 years.

Absolutely. Very good. Seems like they've got a social media marketing manager that knows what they're doing. 

7 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

It's actually all massively different. It's not 1991, nor 6 anymore. Money, fitness and standards have changed massively, as has the "marquee player" culture of the game. That should be obvious to anyone to something resembling a passing interest in football. Your post doesn't actually make sense. You compare Bruce to Terry, call it similar, then mention on one hand RICKY OTTO, then compare it to lots of money and parachute payments and say the moves echo each other. They don't. They really, really don't. As your own argument will tell you.

Fuck me ragged Pat, you're talking bollocks. Read that post back to yourself.

I don't think the marquee player culture has changed in the Championship though Butch, it's always been that way with clubs scrambling to get 'names', irrespective of what stage of their career they are at, just to have that 'name' playing for them.  Hence why I mentioned the players and clubs and similarities..

The Championship had a panic when FFP came in and everyone tried to adjust, and names dropped off, for about three seasons, Craig Bellamy, Joey Barton being the last 'big' names in around 2013. 

However, with the new Prem deal, teams are now willing to take the risk to get promoted to the Prem as 1 season plus parachutes will set them up for a while. I think Villa are on something like 40 million per season on a two season deal, which is enabling massive spending to take place and will see the return of  names even if they are for a one shot deal.  I think Hull, Sunderland and Middlesbrough are on 47 Million parachutes this year.  Clear gulf growing in the Champs in terms of spending and ability to attract names, can see which teams either have been in the Prem or have rich owners... 

2+Ipswich+Transfer+Spend+2016.jpg

Really isn't sustainable,even with FFP, however I suspect more names to appear in the Champs once Matchday Squads (Is that still a thing in the Prem, I forget) are announced or as the season progresses.

I mean FFS we signed players from Bayern Munich and Juventus last season...

So no, I dont think JT to Villa is a massive shock as it happens.

• Paid Members

That gross transfer spend is misleading. Newcastle sold Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Janmaat and Cisse for around £65m last summer. Fulham recouped nearly £20m and Norwich at least £10m. Villa were the anomoly.

Archived