General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

A quote from the Linfield chairman I found in The Guardian “In that they’re celebrating 50 years of the Lisbon Lions and, as most people don’t realise, we got into the quarter-final of the European Cup that same year before losing 3-2 on aggregate to CSKA Sofia, who then lost to Inter Milan, whom Celtic beat in the final. So we could actually have played Celtic in the final that year.”

That feels like a real clutching at straws to celebrate attitude.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

A quote from the Linfield chairman I found in The Guardian “In that they’re celebrating 50 years of the Lisbon Lions and, as most people don’t realise, we got into the quarter-final of the European Cup that same year before losing 3-2 on aggregate to CSKA Sofia, who then lost to Inter Milan, whom Celtic beat in the final. So we could actually have played Celtic in the final that year.”

That feels like a real clutching at straws to celebrate attitude.

That is real "Scotland beat England in 1967 so are unofficial World Champions" vibes 

Pat's breaking out graphs to illustrate fuck all. Terry could easily cut it at most Prem clubs. Likewise he could earn astronomical money in Asia. He could live the sweet life in the states. All these things are much more appealing than playing for Villa. So yeah, it is pretty surprising. 

She, Devon, she, not 'they'. Appreciate it, ta.

As for the footie stuff, I'm seldom wrong on that. At no point have I suggested JT is going to be pants, nor that he's not up to it, either.

I've posited a point, backed it up, whether people agree or not, and was aiming for a bit of discussion.

You know, with the Championship being something like the 5th richest division in football and squad limits being what they are; could we see an emergency of 'worldies' who are actually in or need their prime coming to the league, rather than the majority of names, who are past it and on a downward spiral.

Eeh, well, nevermind.

Well they're clearly spending money before they sell Lukaku and Barkley. Wisely before they sell them, because if clubs knew they had that money, they'd have been held to ransom on those transfers. 

At the end of the day, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Trust in Poch mate. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, patiirc said:

She, Devon, she, not 'they'. Appreciate it, ta.

As for the footie stuff, I'm seldom wrong on that. 

Apologies. And yes you are.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Well they're clearly spending money before they sell Lukaku and Barkley. Wisely before they sell them, because if clubs knew they had that money, they'd have been held to ransom on those transfers. 

True, but on the other hand clubs know they pretty much have to sell Lukaku and Barkley (if they bring in a Giroud before they sell too) and low-ball them with offers for the paid. They might have to sell them on the cheap a bit if there isn't a bidding war for them- and I don't think there will be. Only Chelsea will likely go for Lukaku and I have no idea who will sign Barkley.

Spurs will sign Barkley. As sure as day follows fucking night, he'll be a Tottenham player next season.

I thought Everton were rich now? I'm not saying they won't sell Lukaku, think he's gone, but they don't have to? Unless I've got that wrong.

Anyways, I think they've bought smart and there's been nothing too out of the ordinary with the fees they've paid. 

• Paid Members

They've got rich backing, yes. Still you'd think they'd want the best possible deal from those two players. They've definitely bought smart- some really good signings there. Keane at ÂŁ30m seems a little out there in terms of transfer fee, but he's an excellent young defender and has the 'English player tax' on top. He'll be an England regular before long.

Branquey must be enjoying this...and he'll be even more delighted to hear that they've offloaded Aiden McGeady to Sunderland.

Koeman in?

• Paid Members

Of course, one of the advantages of sharing a football topic with the jocks is that it doesn't look too much like trolling when The Rangers get turfed out of Europe by a bunch of Luxembourg part-timers and I post an appropriate reaction gif, something along the lines of:-

giphy.gif

Archived