General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I’m struggling to understand Paul Merson’s rationale for wanting to send both Jack Wilshire and Andy Bloody Carroll to the World Cup.

Because he's a fucking berk.

I found Inverting the Pyramid hard to get into. I got up to about the 40s, but I think I struggled as the game has such little semblance to the game I've known all my life. Probably more my problem of struggling to remember and drifting off moreso than the book.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I’m struggling to understand Paul Merson’s rationale for wanting to send both Jack Wilshire and Andy Bloody Carroll to the World Cup. Madness.

Playing with Alan Smith for years will make you feel the need for a 'propa English style centre forward' or something. Basically, a lump to knock shit down. Plus, as Devon says, he's a berk.

My favourite though is Chris 'pelanty' Waddle picking Kyle Walker as a CB and having JONJO SHELVEY in his fucking World Cup starting XI!

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Surely this sensation isn't new to you, though? They went through a mediocre patch in the mid-90s with Kluivert, Seedorf and Cruyff Jr. (not saying they were the specific ones to blame, though). In comparison to their run of greatness up to '94, they were surprisingly unsolid. I don't think we could have hammered them 4-1 if they hadn't been. That's not to run that England team down; that time under Venables was probably the strongest England's looked since Robson, but to beat the Netherlands 4-1 had to be a combo of England being good and them being poor. I don't think that England team would've beaten the team of Rijkaard, Gullit, van Basten, the Koemans, etc. A draw at best.

Tell you who were massively underrated as a team to watch: the USSR. They weren't always the most solid team, but they, like a lot of the old Soviet bloc teams, played very stylish, well-crafted technical football. Fun to watch, as were Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia.

Crurff Jr? Jordi, man, Jordi! And Jordi didn't play for them much, their main issues (as ever for the Dutch) were infighting in the camp and Dennis Bergkamps BA Baracus impression.The 2004 England team was inherently better than the 1996 one. Half because they didn't ever have Steve Stone on the pitch. They just didn't play an imploding Holland.

Anyway, arse twitch time now. Going to be so much needle tomorrow. Wales need to start with KIng and Ledley. Old heads. And here's a lovely link for Welsh old heads -http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02t95gw

As regard's Football Reading, Kicking and Screaming is great if you can find it. It's an extended MS of the old early-mid 90's series of of the same name from BBC 2. An oral history of British football from Darwen, via the Women's football explosion, to the Hungarian invention of the false nine and Puskas, through what Chinny Hill did for the game (and him fighting for Freedom of Contract was actually far more massive than the loss of the maximum wage, but everyone forgets that) via Charles Reep's tactical changing of the game, ending in Ian Wright being as intolerable as ever.

SHEEEEIT! EDIT! - The orignal series is all on youtbube. I've not seen this since 1994. Didn't realise it was James Bolam's pipes.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Crurff Jr? Jordi, man, Jordi! And Jordi didn't play for them much, their main issues (as ever for the Dutch) were infighting in the camp and Dennis Bergkamps BA Baracus impression.The 2004 England team was inherently better than the 1996 one. Half because they didn't ever have Steve Stone on the pitch. They just didn't play an imploding Holland.

I would've said Jordi, but he seemed to switch it up later on and embrace having Cruyff on his shirt. Like I say, though, I didn't have him down as one of the specific reasons why Holland didn't do well. You're right about the imploding, they certainly seemed to be collapsing through petty in-fighting. 

• Paid Members

Holland didn't qualify for the Mexico 1986 either, so it's not always been total success there. Kind of strange winning Euro 88 after not getting to the World Cup two years before. You should all watch that documentary "HERO: Story of the 1986 World Cup", not just for the Rick Wakeman musical score, but it's bloody good.

Best chance England had of winning the World Cup since 1990 has got to be in 2002. If they beat Brazil, which was a close game finished by a flukey, error ridden goal, they'd have got a relatively easy route to the Final (Turkey or Senegal, then the final against the bloody Germans or South Korea).

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Dawned on me after the Scotland exit last night that the next qualifying is for Euro 2020. I'll be 40 before that tournament. Where the fuck has the time gone?

Football tournaments since Euro 96 and World Cup 98 have flown by as though they didn't happen. Most of the Euro tournaments since then have been pretty shit, haven't they? I did really enjoy Euro 2008 though, and we weren't even in it! Maybe that's a big reason why I enjoyed it so much. I loved the last World Cup as well, and we may as well have not been in it.

It's just dawned on me that because of the format changes, as there is no 'host nation' there will be no automatic qualification for 2020. Imagine if we fail to qualify despite Wembley hosting the Semis and the Final. Lols.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Football tournaments since Euro 96 and World Cup 98 have flown by as though they didn't happen. Most of the Euro tournaments since then have been pretty shit, haven't they? I did really enjoy Euro 2008 though, and we weren't even in it! Maybe that's a big reason why I enjoyed it so much. I loved the last World Cup as well, and we may as well have not been in it.

It's just dawned on me that because of the format changes, as there is no 'host nation' there will be no automatic qualification for 2020. Imagine if we fail to qualify despite Wembley hosting the Semis and the Final. Lols.

I've been reading up on the Euro qualifying this morning. I'd completely forgotten about this Nations League thing in 2018/19. Seems massively complicated. To simplify, I THINK the process is:

Euro countries split into 4 "leagues" for 2018/19. The league then consists of 4 groups. The teams play each other twice home and away. At the end the top team in each group is promoted and the bottom one relegated except relegation from the bottom "league" obviously. The top team in each group  in the top league play a semi and final to be the champions.

Then in 2019/20 we have a normal qualifying. As Punky says, there is no host so all 55 countries are in it. 5 groups of 5 and 5 groups of 6 for 20 spots in the Euros.

THEN the best 4 teams from each "league" who didn't qualify play-off for another spot - 4 in total.

Seems very convoluted. The rankings are decided by the coefficient after this qualifying. This site has a decent guide to the sort of seeding that will happen. http://www.footballseeding.com/national-ranking-uefa/ranking-2017/

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I'd completely forgotten about this Nations League thing in 2018/19. Seems massively complicated.

Dafuq...I somehow didn't even know about this! I'm reading about it as we speak. So which will be the more prestigious to win? I'm assuming the Euros, but if so what's the point of declaring a UEFA Nations champion? It's going to be a bit WWE VS Universal title, isn't it? Seems interesting though, I'm intrigued by the concept. Bet FogDude isn't.

@Devon Malcolm I'm trying to find evidence to suggest it will mean more international breaks, so I can get all angry about it, but they've managed to keep it down to the same number of breaks from what I can see. This means virtually wiping out friendlies from what I can make out (well, during that 2 year part of a 4 year cycle anyway).

Let's see if this shitty copy + paste job works:

Date Nations League European Qualifiers
6–8 September 2018 Matchday 1  
9–11 September 2018 Matchday 2  
11–13 October 2018 Matchday 3  
14–16 October 2018 Matchday 4  
15–17 November 2018 Matchday 5  
18–20 November 2018 Matchday 6  
21–23 March 2019   Matchday 1
24–26 March 2019   Matchday 2
5–6 June 2019 Semi-finals  
7–8 June 2019   Matchday 3