General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holland to beat Sweden 7-0 is currently 350-1 with Bet365. I know it won't happen but tempted to stick a fiver on just in case.

For what it's worth, I think this will be a decent game as obviously Holland will go balls out. Could well be 9-5 or something stupid.

Kudos to Iceland for qualifying, that is awesome news. Let's be honest, that clap thing was pretty cool.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Technically it's the Scottish League Challenge Cup, so more like the LDV Vans Trophy than the Carabao Cup.

But yeah, good stuff.

For those like me who weren't familiar, it's even more gloriously bizarre a line-up. It's all the Scottish league teams outside of the Premiership, four teams each from the two main non-league leagues, the Under-20s from all the Premiership teams, and two teams each from Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and Wales (one of which plays in England.)

• Paid Members

Bit of a shocker for the USA (Fucking Panama take their place) not to qualify for the World Cup. Chile too. I was expecting the Americans to push on a bit in Russia 2018, but now no more. I would have loved the Canadians to get there, but oh well.

As I have been awoken by 4 month old little git and have some time to kilI have decided to do a World Cup Qualification round-up

The biggest shock overnight is the USA have failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986 after getting beat by Trinidad and Tobago, this has led to Panama making their first ever World Cup finals. Honduras will now take on Australia in a play-off in November.

Chile are the biggest casualties in South America despite being in third place at the start of the night. Their 3-0 defeat in Brazil opened the path for Colombia and Argentina to claim automatic qualification, with Peru and their sexy red sash have made the playoffs which could see them make their first World Cup Finals since 1982. They will take on New Zealand in the other play-off.

You have to feel sorry for Switzerland, they won 9 out of 10 matches and they do not qualify automatically which must be a first for any qualification event. Slovakia are the unlucky runners-up who miss out on a play-off spot These are the 8 teams who have made it in current World Ranking order:

Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, Greece.

Due to Northern Ireland suffering two defeats in the last round of matches they will more than likely drop down the rankings and be replaced by Sweden. 

In Africa Egypt have qualified for the first time since 1990, which is bonkers considering they have won the African Nations 4 times since then. They are joined by Nigeria and more than likely Tunisia. The two remaining groups are intriguing. There will be a winner takes all match as Cote D'Ivoire take on Morocco in their final group game in November. In the other group any one of the four teams could still mathematically qualify, with Senegal strong favourites to make Russia.

Edit - Baz has stole my thunder a bit.

• Paid Members

Looks a bit wide open this World Cup.

I'm just glad we didn't get that USA vs Syria play-off match. Whole world didn't need that shit right now. It would have been good to see, but it would have been political as hell, like that USA vs Iran match from 1998 in France.

• Paid Members

Serves you right for voting Trump, America. This is why you can't have nice things.

An interesting note re: Chile's exit. Whilst they would've qualified had they avoided losing to Brazil, Peru's equaliser killed off their hopes of a play-off place. Their equaliser was an INDIRECT free kick, which Ospina pushed into the goal when trying to save it. What a donut. So, you could say Ospina has knocked Sanchez out of the World Cup. Enjoy your new club pal.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

USA are in the driving seat to qualify automatically. Need to win away against bottom side T&T. More likely Panama or Honduras.

This ended up being correct though not in the way I anticipated.

Always like to see some new teams at the World Cup so Panama and Iceland debuting is cool. Egypt are back after 28 years. Peru might be back after 36 years if they get past New Zealand. Obviously still a chance Norn Iron will make their first WC since 1986. That would be great.

In the inter-confederation play offs surely Peru should beat New Zealand, but unsure about Australia vs Honduras but I think Honduras will win. Cannot believe USA could not even come in the top 4 of their group, all they had to do was beat Trinidad and Tobago, their away form in general was pathetic though.

• Paid Members

The central American countries have enjoyed a real surge in quality the last few years while the USA have stood still. Honduras have been very handy for a while and the perception has been that Panama have largely under-performed for some time, until now. Factor in Costa Rica and Mexico, and the fact that Guatemala and Haiti are showing signs of improvement too, and it's only going to get tougher for them if they don't start improving. Even more so if the Caribbean nations reverse their downturn.

Peru vs New Zealand will be tight but if New Zealand don't win the home leg then they're buggered, Peru are really good at home.

Archived