General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Yeah, that was a big story back in the day. Flare goes nowhere near the Chilean goalkeeper, who drops to the ground like he's been shot and literally has a blade in his pocket and blades himself. Chile got kicked out and banned from trying to qualify for USA 1994. Pretty mental story really.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yeah, that was a big story back in the day. Flare goes nowhere near the Chilean goalkeeper, who drops to the ground like he's been shot and literally has a blade in his pocket and blades himself. Chile got kicked out and banned from trying to qualify for USA 1994. Pretty mental story really.

Great article that. I remember reading bits about it years past back when I was totally obsessed about reading football books. One of the things I remember most is the fan who threw it was named Rosenery Mello do Nascimento. She ended up appearing in Brazilan Playboy off the back of it. 

• Paid Members

Syria have taken Australia into extra time! Away goals still count so if Syria score, the Aussies need 2 (it's still a shit rule, but I'll 'allow it' as the kids say).

How incredible would it be if they won? There has been some great qualification stories so far- Egypt finally breaking their duck, Iceland winning their group. But given everything that's happening in Syria this would be quite the moment. Football can't obviously end turmoil or cure famine and all that, but it can certainly bring an amount of joy to some people.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

They’re down to 10 men, they still need to win a playoff (Probably against USA) if they beat Australia today.

USA are in the driving seat to qualify automatically. Need to win away against bottom side T&T. More likely Panama or Honduras.

Anyone noticed the spread of teams in the World U17 Cup that's just started. UEFA only have 5 places in the 24. Oceania have 2. So bloody New Caledonia have qualified. I reckon if the World Cup wasn't expanding to 200 teams, they'd be looking for an even spread to appease the smaller confeds.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I reckon if the World Cup wasn't expanding to 200 teams, they'd be looking for an even spread to appease the smaller confeds.

I can see the logic in that, from the perspective of helping improve the teams from other confeds- making the World Cup more inclusive. In fairness, I think FIFA have done a pretty good job opening up the competition to the rest of the world and helping raise the standards outside of Europe/South America over the years, that's one thing you can say about them (although it may have taken dirty money for them to do it). You look at other 'empire sports' and there's still an element of exclusivity.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

USA are in the driving seat to qualify automatically. Need to win away against bottom side T&T. More likely Panama or Honduras.

Anyone noticed the spread of teams in the World U17 Cup that's just started. UEFA only have 5 places in the 24. Oceania have 2. So bloody New Caledonia have qualified. I reckon if the World Cup wasn't expanding to 200 teams, they'd be looking for an even spread to appease the smaller confeds.

I think at age group levels a more even spread is laudable and important. Allowing countries like New Caledonia and India an opportunity to improve their skills and develop young talent against opposition they would normally never get games against is incredibly important.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think at age group levels a more even spread is laudable and important. Allowing countries like New Caledonia and India an opportunity to improve their skills and develop young talent against opposition they would normally never get games against is incredibly important.

Not against the principle. There's a lot to admire but a second team from Oceania as an automatic qualifier is just denying someone else an opportunity. They're not going to improve from a tournament like this when they're well below the standard of New Zealand in the first place.

• Paid Members

Really thought we hadn't a hope after that rendition of the Welsh national anthem. I'm sure every Welsh man and woman and every neutral had goosebumps watching that. Had Ireland gone out, I'd have had Wales as my team all day long after that. Incredible.

I watched the final twenty minutes in various, involuntary advanced yoga like positions, as Wales laid siege to the Irish goal. 

Was actually thinking of our Rick (as well as Butch) here in the pub last night and wanted to ask him what Hull fans in general make of Meyler? I wasn't his biggest fan for a bit, but fuck me if he hasn't stepped up and went above and beyond of what's been asked of him in the Ireland setup for the past few games.

James McClean is a wonderful animal too. I can completely see why people hate him, and I think a move to Celtic would seriously benefit him as it's seemingly the only place (besides playing for Ireland) where even his home fans won't boo him. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Is Meyler the one who's become a YouTuber in his spare time?

Yeah, he's a FIFA obsessive.

I've always liked Meyler but he's divided opinion, because he's not the tidiest of footballers. Now we've sold EVERYONE and he's the only player left - plus the team around him is poor - he's become very popular all of a sudden. He's a huge-hearted player but not careful with the ball. He knows the game though and he's a great character. Thought it was great that he was entrusted with the armband.

Archived