ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

2 hours ago, fozzyrock1986 said:

I remember back in the early 90s, WCW used to be on around 2pm on a Saturday on itv in my region. This lasted up until the nitro era.

All of the above could be right. ITV could be testing the waters to see if the last couple of shows do better in the early afternoon. Then more suitable slot + live tour could mean there is a market for a 2nd series somewhere....

But, what is most likely is that ITV have, in effect, given up on the show are giving the series the courtesy of ending while giving the early evening slot over to something likely to attract an audience.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though I've only seen bits and most of that was utter shite, yesterday's episode seemed something of an improvement. Probably pure chance. It deserves to fail for being contrived and pretentious, in the sense that it's not a continuation or re-birth of anything. If you weren't around when the original ITV wrestling aired (and not just the arse-end) you can't have any genuine sense of what it was like or how it was woven into the mainstream, back then. Taking place in actual halls, with dedicated fans, unconstrained by TV execs and their sensibilities or vision of how it should look, with belts that had history behind them & actually meant something. Even the name of the promotion is dogdirt. Alluding to something from decades past that was a general sports show. It just happened to provide a platform for pre-existing, genuine wrestling promotions.

All they seemed to have achieved with this holiday camp vibe, is to confirm the stereotypes of wrestling / British wrestling. So, thanks for that...and what the fuck does Alex Shane think he's doing with his hand gestures at the top of the show. What a prick.

1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

It seems that for 15 years there’s been a minor obsession with getting wrestling on terrestrial TV, with the argument against from TV people being it won’t be successful. Who’s have thought they’d be 100% right?

I don't think it's 100% right. I think that with the flaws ironed out it may have been ok. It's not what a lot of wrestling fans wanted, myself included, and clearly it's not something the general public cared for.

I think wrestling fans are having a hard time accepting that wrestling isn't mainstream.  It isn't anywhere close to being.  Sure, it's getting good attendances at some live events, but it's also getting shite attendances in the overwhelming majority of shows.  Sure, you can say there is a difference between this promotion and World Shithouse Wrestling, but do you think the mainstream give a shit about which alphabet soup "Company" is putting on the show, or if Alex Shane is like some reconstructed porcine silicon hybrid pulling the strings from the shadows? Just because Download or Bloodstock events are selling out, it doesn't make metal attractive to mainstream audiences.

As people have said, TV isn't the "Ultimate goal" any more.  If you're good enough at your game, you don't need TV.  If UK wrestling never appears on TV for another 15 years, I wouldn't give a tuppenny fuck.  It won't hurt the UK scene one bit.  It's niche as fuck and may it stay that way.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

If it was booked and presented correctly, this could have been a success. It was not booked or presented correctly.

I'm not entirely sure it could have been. Sure, this could have been done MUCH better, but I don't think wrestling will ever do well on terrestrial TV these days. Whether it's WWE style, Progress style, classic WOS style or a better worked camp-show style that this WOS put out- it's not mainstream entertainment.

Archived