ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Paid Members
On 9/8/2018 at 7:10 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

They showed a replay of Grado's bump rather than Kirby's enziuiri,but we get the full CSI treatment of multiple angles for Grado's corner cannonball?.

This is what got me. I've not watched an episode since the second one, and caught this on TV in my hotel room on Saturday just as the Grado/Martin Kirby match was starting, then caught the bits I'd missed on +1. If anything, it was worse than the earlier shows. But there was nothing more egregious on the whole show than that fucking replay. Replaying the comedy bump rather than the impact, seconds after the move happened? Who made that decision, and how did it get signed off by so many people that it made the final edit? There were also a ludicrous number of cuts and different camera angles during Grado's entrance - the result of that being that it never once feels like you're seeing the show from a specified position, so you're not getting a "fan's eye view", and that robs you of an emotional connection.

It seems to me that whoever's in charge of the wrestling side of things is too far in the wrestling bubble and not giving enough thought to how to book for a non-wrestling audience, whereas - as is evident both from watching the show, and stories I've heard from people who worked crew on it - the TV guys don't know wrestling at all, and are taking a "we do TV, we know better" approach to editing it. I watched a bit of an episode of Ninja Warrior UK for the first time on Saturday as well, and it's edited almost exactly the same way.

The Grado/Martin Kirby match was a perfectly fine holiday camp comedy match, but this wasn't a holiday camp show. Live, it probably would have been quite entertaining, but on TV it felt incredibly hokey and panto. I'm far from a "comedy wrestling kills the business" guy, but if I were watching this in the pub with non-wrestling fan friends, I'd have been embarrassed putting up with the requisite "this is the shit you like?" conversation that would surely follow.

Crater's booked logically enough as a big guy, though I question the logic of him being in four way matches rather than handicap matches - aside from that they spent a little while getting him out of the way for the other lads to hit flashier moves. It would have been better served to have this as a shorter handicap match, then use a wholly different match to give the crowd their helping of high spots and so on. I complained after the first show that one of the finishes actively shat on the referee's credibility, and this did the same - they made Lynskey look an absolute tool by calling a finish and then not being sure who won, and then immediately scrapped any idea that the decision even mattered by going into an extended Crater beatdown.

Incidentally, Crater popped up on 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown recently, unmasked, and has a far better look without the mask than with it.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On 9/8/2018 at 11:55 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

Because it’s the season finale in 2 weeks.

Theres only 10 episodes that are airing, don’t think anyone would care or even remember if they wait until the new season to finish the feud. 

No-one is suggesting they wait until the next season, or even the next episode, but nothing is given any time to set in which means nothing has any impact. Just having the opening segment with the challenge and the match later in the show would have made it feel; important other than utterly throwaway. The angle, the match and the outcome are all totally fine, but the pacing of it is way off. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, mim731 said:

No-one is suggesting they wait until the next season, or even the next episode, but nothing is given any time to set in which means nothing has any impact. Just having the opening segment with the challenge and the match later in the show would have made it feel; important other than utterly throwaway. The angle, the match and the outcome are all totally fine, but the pacing of it is way off. 

I'd say they often make the opposite mistake with pacing too, and give things away too quickly - the first show having a promo to set up a number one contenders match, then the match, then the title match later in the same show, was too much too quickly. 

They're "NEXT WEEK" trailer always annoys me too - it's invariably people who did nothing on this week's show, so if we assume I'm a new viewer, it's doing nothing for me. They've just spent an hour introducing me to new characters, I'm trying to figure out who they all are, and then the end of the show tells us "NEXT WEEK, forget all those scrubs, you can see some other wrestlers you don't know yet".

There's nothing on show one to set up show two, no continuity - nothing happens at the end of the show to make you think, "I have to tune in next week to see how this pans out". 

In the Crater match, Alex Shane did a decent job of getting the audience up to speed on the story - everyone else in the match had issues with Crater, they'd crossed paths before, Crater's never been beaten or knocked off his feet. That's all great. But I couldn't help thinking, this is TV, why aren't we getting a recap, a highlight package, why are we getting told all this rather than shown it? On Ninja Warrior UK, every contestant gets a graphic with their name, and a few seconds of "this is who they are and what they do, this is how they did in the previous round", practically every X-Factor contestant gets a backstory video package, yet in wrestling - where characters are specifically constructed to be sold to the audience, so in theory it should be 100 times easier to put something together to explain who they are, we get nothing.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

On Ninja Warrior UK, every contestant gets a graphic with their name, and a few seconds of "this is who they are and what they do, this is how they did in the previous round", practically every X-Factor contestant gets a backstory video package, yet in wrestling - where characters are specifically constructed to be sold to the audience, so in theory it should be 100 times easier to put something together to explain who they are, we get nothing.

100 % agree on this. Just some continuity as why we should care about these characters. A 15 second second elevator pitch style summation of of who they are is all you need, but it would add so much! 

I genuinely do hope they get a second season, because you can absolutely see there is potential for this to be really good provided they learn from the mistakes made so far, although sadly I'm not sure they'll get the opportunity.  

• Paid Members

That they're doing a live tour makes me think there's internal interest in another series, though it may be that it's just money for old rope. 

The problem of the whole show having been pre-taped is that they've not been able to learn from their mistakes. Hopefully a second season could smooth out some of the issues.

5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That they're doing a live tour makes me think there's internal interest in another series, though it may be that it's just money for old rope. 

The problem of the whole show having been pre-taped is that they've not been able to learn from their mistakes. Hopefully a second season could smooth out some of the issues.

I don't think it means interest for a 2nd season. They can sell a tour because 3-400,000 viewers is enough to sell tickets to 9 small shows. If 1 in 40 watchers buys a ticket then they will have a decent turn out for their tour, which I imagine will not be high budget.

I'd hope they learn from their mistakes, but in reality I am not sure they would even if they got a 2nd series, which sadly I doubt they will.

• Paid Members

I wonder if it's either:

a) making whatever hay you can while it isn't pissing down too badly by promoting a live tour whilst they're still on air, with the knowledge they probably won't be again, or

b) a last-ditch attempt to show ITV there is interest out there by selling tickets to live shows, and if we get a second series we'll do x, y & z differently and make a mega success of it.

Could well be a little of both. I'm working off the assumption that ITV don't have any direct involvement in this, but that Alex/Doug/whoever have the rights to use the name/logo to promote live events.

I think the time slot to an earlier time is a wise move

youve got to imagine at least a portion of the audience are fans and families who may attend live shows on a weekend, they won’t watch this live as they would be out. Not a huge number but still missing a lot of people who may not watch at 5pm if travelling to an event,:

also stuck sort of between matches in terms of football lodged between the lunchtime kickoff and 3pm kick off 

it could do better at that time.

41 minutes ago, PBWFan said:

I think the time slot to an earlier time is a wise move

youve got to imagine at least a portion of the audience are fans and families who may attend live shows on a weekend, they won’t watch this live as they would be out. Not a huge number but still missing a lot of people who may not watch at 5pm if travelling to an event,:

also stuck sort of between matches in terms of football lodged between the lunchtime kickoff and 3pm kick off 

it could do better at that time.

I remember back in the early 90s, WCW used to be on around 2pm on a Saturday on itv in my region. This lasted up until the nitro era.

Archived