ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, JNLister said:

I believe PROGRESS sometimes announces continental Europe wrestler weights in kilos.

Yeah, Jim will do the whole intro in their native language if he can.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/17/2018 at 2:07 PM, scratchdj said:

Small thing, but weren't the wrestlers on the old WoS announced in stones and pounds?

The new version announces all wrestlers in pounds only. As I say, this is a small thing but quite revealing of the many problems WoS has over its identity. Nobody on the streets of the UK could tell you how many pounds they weigh - instead telling you they weigh "12-and-a-half stone".

Weights in pounds is an American thing, and it just leaves WoS with an even further whiff of 'cheap American knock off'. If WoS is being sold as British wrestling, don't make it so American. This also goes for starting shows with a promo, having a heel authority figure etc. It's like too many wrestling promotions feel that if they don't do it the WWE way, they aren't a proper wrestling show and fans won't recognise it as such.

It was hokey, but I quite liked it when FWA had yellow and red cards. It was quite British and felt different.

Kent Walton mentioned weights but they were just figures off the top of his head, it was always you look like a middleweight therefore you are. There was the odd occasion when someone 'failed to make the weight' for a title match but again that was just a work 

• Paid Members

We're up to the penultimate episode. Curtain jerking with the Women's title match could be  a good shout. Nice  solid opener. Seventeen different camera angles for KLR's entrance, two of which weren't even shots of her. That move when Viper was on her knees at the start looked like Viper was delivering it,not receiving it. Viper's million dollar dream is obviously a rest hold as it hasn't actually won a match for her,but it's still called Viper's Vice. More long shots and cuts to the crowd as Alex Shane and/orBennet say "look at that". Not many names of moves being called, just plenty of "look at that" Good match, but it's hard to establish Viper as a monster when KLR gave her a finish like that with little difficulty, especially when the "powerhouse" Aisha was struggling to lift her last week. 

Bennett's new match concept  sounds like something Russo would  have come up with for TNA. Part Rumble, part elimination tag match,part battle royal? Alex Shane says it's either going to be "Highly inventive, or a very confusing affair." Way to put it over. Why don't they have a set time between entrances? I guess so they can get the next guys in quickly while Crater's blown up. Partner Vs Partner to nobody's surprise. Why didn't Bennett force Gunn & Stevie to wrestle each other longer before bringing in new contenders? This feels like a match that needs time, and if they've got to blaze through it in 12 minutes for TV time constraints then it's not going to be pretty, but it involving the whole roster I'm guessing  this'll be the rest of the episode. I'm guessing it'll be BT Gunn & Stevie Boy Vs Sabian & Rees for the belts next week after that exchange as there was a good sequence to build some heat between the teams..

We seem to get back to a face and heel coming out now to keep the teams and narrative vaguely consistent. I see they have an over the Top rope move. Alex Shane forgot to call  Robbie X's finisher as his finisher. Nathan Cruz strolls into the building and match with no opposition from anybody. Nice chicken-shit heel work from him.

Why does Crater have  his mask on again after he lost the mask vs mask match last week?

"Everybody on the WOS men's roster entered" Except from Martin Kirby,Will Ospreay, Joe Hendry, Doug Williams, probably more, but Nathan Cruz and Moose are here. Nice remnder that there's a wrestling show on another channel as well. He turns up for a few minutes looking like a bigger star than almost everybody else on the roster while the commentators talk about Impact Wrestling. Has the owl got a hand in WOS?

Why are people breaking up falls when the match is going to be every man for himself once it's down to 8 participants?

The battle royal was alright. Sysum is over like Rover. That was a legit pop for him, and I get why: He's built like a star, he's athletic, he's not a bad promo He's a good choice to build the show around. I'm sure that title match next week has potential to be a good one. I didn't like how they'd just done a stretcher job for a Crater splash 10 minutes earlier, but Justin manages to take one which would arguably do more damage,but is fine within minutes and wins the match. It felt like the "Justin Sysum project" and it didn't need to.

Grado & Harry challenge for the tag titles next week rather than them following up on the little angle they set up earlier in the show .Grado nor HArry really need a belt to be over

The usual pointless edits, cuts to the crowd and long camera shots etc lead me to think the show may need a later time slot if the people at ITV think it's too violent for teatime or afternoon viewing, Inconsistent booking of the roster is frustrating as well. Crater gets pinned clean by three guys, then loses a singles match and his mask clean, but is back wearing the mask and being booked like an unbeatable beast the following week. Viper has only won one match all series, but is still booked as some kind of unstoppable monster. They've taken the "wins and losses don't matter" thing to heart there.

I  hope the tour does well because they have good guys on the roster is decent. Hopefully they'll have Harry & Ospreay on hand for the shows, otherwise that may disappoint some of the paying fans. I don't know whether this gets a second season or just looped in perpetuity on ITV4 from here, though.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, meexcellent said:

Not seen this weeks show but was at the taping.

The Beat the Buzzer match lasted about 45 minutes on its own, which would be a whole show with adverts. Lots must have been cut out.

The arbitrary times between buzzes kind of ruined it for me. If there'd been more structure to the tag portion iit would have worked better, but  I guess they had the arbitrary thing in there for the Val/Bennett interaction, plus if there'd been a time limit in place it would have been harder to enforce on commercial TV. Better editing and camera work would have helped as well, like it would have all series.

• Paid Members

So, it’s over.

Given the duration it went, can’t help but think they could have done Rampage/Sysum as a 2-out-of-3 falls match, which would have been something a bit different to what they’ve done before, open up some angles for storytelling (Sysum falling behind early due to cheating for example) and been a bit of a throwback to the “2 falls, 2 submissions or 1 KO” era.

• Paid Members

200,000 people tuned in for the finale. I mean, that's just beyond your wildest nightmare levels of failure. You would think putting Bugs Bunny on at that time would have done better than that. I see people blaming the scheduling, but they were only moving it to save it from it being even worse. Jeff and the boys would have slaughtered it at 5pm.

I don't watch current era wrestling, have no interest in it, but had dinner on Sunday with my OAP parents when the repeat of the last episode was on. Just listening to the match with Harry Smith and Grado in was like having someone shout at you nonstop for an hour. No ebb or flow, just go-go-go all the time. No soaking in the moment when they won the tag team championships. As soon as the bell rang the ring announcer was spitting it out as quickly as possible, no chance to stop and breathe at all.

• Paid Members

The last episode felt better.Still the same problems with the presentation though.Taking longer over the matches and having the video packages about how we'd ended up there to finally tell the viewers what the story was.

Unfortunately you could tell from a mile off how those two matches were going to go. Still, at least there's Grado and Sysum to be sending the fans home happy on the tour. LEt's see whether they get a second series, and whether they have a look at what people watching the show thought. Those viewing figures are pretty grim,though.

• 2 months later...

Archived