ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, uklaw said:

And an untested show like this may be micromanaged within an inch of its life. 

It's not untested though, they had the NYE special 16 months ago. They commissioned a series based on the response to that show.

We pretty much know what the show will be like, perhaps with some adjustments following a review of the NYE show and feedback.

And how was that show not 'wrestling'?

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

It's not untested though, they had the NYE special 16 months ago. They commissioned a series based on the response to that show.

We pretty much know what the show will be like, perhaps with some adjustments following a review of the NYE show and feedback.

I hear what you’re saying and I meant it is ‘untested’ compared to the other shows/brands I put up. Perhaps I should have put the word ‘relatively’ as a prefix 😎

• Paid Members

I see. I'm sure it'll be micromanaged, but that might not necessarily be a bad thing. Ultimately given the platform they will try and go for their audience- so I expect it will be character heavy. That's not a bad thing to be honest. The wrestling will still be good, they certainly picked some brilliant workers last time around.

20 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

And how was that show not 'wrestling'?

That’s not exactly what I said. In my view, the special wasn’t strictly a wrestling show. Not in the way that a frequenter of this forum would view it. Not even with WWE, that fancies itself as a variety show a lot of the time. It was presented as a seasonal, colourful, character-based (dare I say slightly panto?) self-contained 2 hours that featured Wrestling. And a couple of instances of good wrestling. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the wrestling element is de-emphasised this go around. 

And yes, they had some very good workers last time around, but how many of them are available this time? If we start to get some hints of the roster and clues as to the format the show will take we might know if it will be at least watchable. If not, actually quite good.

1 hour ago, uklaw said:

On one hand, I’d say it’s good that there is a commissioned attempt to run a series after the uncertainty of the project when Jeff Jarrett reportedly botched the first attempt. If done right, it could give wrestlers a national platform and bring British Wrestling to terrestrial television.

But herein lies a potential problem- ITV have an entertainment template. An almost identikit approach. See the medium to big shows audience with zooming, sweeping and jump-cut camera work and manufactured experience dubbed with appalling music. Ant and Dec vehicles, X-Factor, Britain’s Got Talent, The Voice, their game shows, etc. 

And an untested show like this may be micromanaged within an inch of its life. 

Do I think we’ll get Celebrity Wrestling again? Probably not but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s even less of a ‘Wrestling’ show than the New Year’s Special.

I fucking love this post to within an inch of its life. It’s such a wrestling-fan post.

British wrestling, and wrestling in general, should be ecstatic and stiff and ecstatically stiff that ITV are even taking a punt, however half-arsed it might end up being. They should be even more excited if it turns out ITV care enough to attach their ‘template’ to it. 

Instead, you’re worried that ITV might ‘sully’ British wrestling with their house production style.

They’re the most successful private broadcaster in the country. Have a word.

I don’t know if I should be flattered or offended that I’ve been classed as a workrate junkie 😂  (if it was me)

To further forensically go over what I meant and what went through my mind when I wrote my previous posts would be as much (if not more of) a waste of everyone’s time reading it as it would be for me to write it, but suffice to say I’ll be watching and hope to enjoy it when it’s on 😊 loving nothing more than at least a 2nd series to come from it, all the while making household names of those wrestlers/stars involved (and I concede ITV probably know more than I do about that) and opening up the scene credibly to a wider audience.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Or perhaps WWE caught wind of this before it was announced, and the Royal Albert Hall show is in response?

I very strongly suspect this is the case. Actually, makes me wonder if WWE getting Jarrett back in the fold might have been related to this as well.

As for presentation, if anything, it should look more like a micro-managed prime time ITV variety show than the pilot did. Part of the problem with the pilot was how it couldn't make it's mind up whether it wanted to be a glossy ITV show, a "remember The Wrestling?" exercise in nostalgia, or playing at being WWE, with briefcase gimmick ladder matches, show opening promos, authority figures and Jim bloody Ross. It was definitely Wrestling, but it wasn't Wrestling with a clear grasp of what it wanted to be.

I'd assume they're going to be going for the Gladiators/ Ninja Warrior audience so that glossy, prime time look matches that target fanbase perfectly. I'd love to see something a bit dingy, a bit less produced too but it doesn't fit ITV's style and there's plenty of that type of wrestling out there. I'm looking forward to giving this a go, could be ideal tea time viewing with the kids.

• Paid Members

Anyone heard any gossip of anyone who might be involved, either in front of camera or behind the scenes? While I know this isn't a "conventional" wrestling show, it does feel very odd to see high profile shows taking place in a couple of weeks' time with nary a whisper of a name on the card.

ITV's press release doesn't mention anyone, and the only graphics featuring any wrestlers at all (i.e., on the BBC coverage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-43893207) are clearly taken from promo material for the pilot, not for the new series.

The Observer's suggested that both WWE and WOS are trying to sign people "under the radar", to prevent them from working for the other. If that's the case, wrestlers could definitely benefit from playing the two off each other, and you'd think that a fair few would be reluctant to sign with WOS today if there's the possibility that WWE might come calling tomorrow - I know Viper is on record as saying she was really upset when the Mae Young Classic was announced and she initially thought her involvement with WOS would mean she wouldn't be able to take part.

I'm actually looking forward to it. I have always struggled to watch a 2hr plus tv show weekly, a nice 1 hour show will suit me easily and I think others will suit that too. If they use guys like Grado, El Ligero and Mastiff I think I will enjoy it. I don't mind a show that is focussed on character with some wrestling mixed in, it's what I got into when I was a kid. When I want to watch longer and more intrinsic matches I can put on New Japan.

I would think it will do some great stuff for some wrestlers. Promotions can use guys and put them on their posters saying they have been on ITV and are watched by numerous people.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Anyone heard any gossip of anyone who might be involved, either in front of camera or behind the scenes? While I know this isn't a "conventional" wrestling show, it does feel very odd to see high profile shows taking place in a couple of weeks' time with nary a whisper of a name on the card.

ITV's press release doesn't mention anyone, and the only graphics featuring any wrestlers at all (i.e., on the BBC coverage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-43893207) are clearly taken from promo material for the pilot, not for the new series.

The Observer's suggested that both WWE and WOS are trying to sign people "under the radar", to prevent them from working for the other. If that's the case, wrestlers could definitely benefit from playing the two off each other, and you'd think that a fair few would be reluctant to sign with WOS today if there's the possibility that WWE might come calling tomorrow - I know Viper is on record as saying she was really upset when the Mae Young Classic was announced and she initially thought her involvement with WOS would mean she wouldn't be able to take part.

Yeah I'd imagine that ITV have non-disclosure agreements coming out of their arseholes for this. When you think about it, they must be shit hot at enforcing these kind of contracts, otherwise you'd get more leaks when it comes to their Syco shows and whatnot. Also, this time around they are probably more cautious and mindful of WWE nabbing talent.

Going back to your comment re: being reluctant to sign for WOS if there's a possibility that WWE could come calling, I wonder how many of the WOS guys regretted signing with ITV knowing they could've been a part of the UK tourney (and potentially WWE long-term deal or NXT)- at the time when it looked like a WOS show was dead in the water.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Going back to your comment re: being reluctant to sign for WOS if there's a possibility that WWE could come calling, I wonder how many of the WOS guys regretted signing with ITV knowing they could've been a part of the UK tourney (and potentially WWE long-term deal or NXT)- at the time when it looked like a WOS show was dead in the water.

I'm sure plenty must have done - as I said earlier, I know Viper was really upset when the Mae Young Classic was announced as she figured she wouldn't be able to take part, so you have to assume plenty of the other talent that worked WOS were kicking themselves over potentially missing out on WWE opportunities.

Though it may work out better for them in the long run - if their initial WOS contracts expired, which seems to have been the case based on Viper working the MYC after all, you'd think people who worked on the pilot would be the first on WWE's radar when looking to cut WOS' momentum short.

It could work out great for wrestlers to be able to go to WWE and say, "well, I've had ITV making enquiries..." and vice-versa.

What I find interesting is WWE's approach, at least the public side of it. The reason they're worried by World of Sport to such an extent is because a primetime ITV timeslot is better than anything WWE have ever managed in the UK, and it would mean WOS would be more accessible to UK viewers than WWE, and potentially WOS wrestlers would look like bigger stars than WWE wrestlers purely by virtue of having the bigger platform. While it seems daft to suggest, if WOS managed to be a long-term success, there is the slim chance that it could dent WWE's popularity in this country.

Which is why it's interesting, to me at least, that rather than trying to create a big glitzy "entertainment" show to outdo ITV at their own game, and reaching for mass appeal, WWE are putting together a very indie-centric product, aimed squarely at the diehard wrestling fan market. It seems counterintuitive, but I'd assume they're more concerned about making deals with top talent, agents, other promotions and their crews, etc., so that World of Sport don't have access to them, rather than trying to challenge them at the end result stage. Does that make sense, or am I just rambling now?

Thinking on those politics more, WWE may be broadly responsible for World of Sport's comeback in the first place - a few years ago they were in talks with ITV about buying the World of Sport video library. And while the WOS project was on hold, WWE were actually talking with ITV about broadcasting their UK brand, under the name "King Of The Ring".

So it may be that another incentive for WWE to want to see this fail is to devalue the World of Sport brand in the eyes of ITV, so they'd be more open to selling the video library in future?

Archived