ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Paid Members

Is there any reason why WWE would not end up on terrestrial tv in the UK in the future? I'm thinking, that while it seems ITV is set on having a wrestling product on it's channels, would it not work out financially viable to go for the UK rights to WWE when Sky's current contract is up?

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

WWE have apparently been buttering up ITV, amongst other places, as a potential home for it's UK brand for a while now. May be another reason WWE want the World of Sport brand to fail, while running their own UK shows and supporting various UK-based indies, if they can go to ITV and say, "look, there's clearly a demand for wrestling, but you need someone who knows how to do it", to try and weasel their way on to terrestrial telly.

If that works, I can only see it being for their UK brand, though. I can't see ITV being able to outbid Sky on the main TV rights, and Sky won't be happy about sharing the rights to the "proper" WWE.

If how WWE are politicking around World of Sport is any indication as to how the proposed global developmental expansion is going to go, things could get very interesting if they start trying to muscle into any territories in Japan or Mexico, or anywhere else with established promotions and "territories".

• Paid Members

Japan, they might have a shot, although it's a well-established industry with its own household names and tradition, not to mention the market there is saturated, but I really don't see WWE getting anywhere really in Mexico - it's such a vivid and symbolic part of Mexican culture, I just can't imagine many Mexicans would take to an American product, especially with the historical dislike of the US, and even more especially with the behaviour of the current US administration and the rhetoric of the political Hulk Hogan in the White House right now.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Japan, they might have a shot, although it's a well-established industry with its own household names and tradition, not to mention the market there is saturated, but I really don't see WWE getting anywhere really in Mexico - it's such a vivid and symbolic part of Mexican culture, I just can't imagine many Mexicans would take to an American product, especially with the historical dislike of the US, and even more especially with the behaviour of the current US administration and the rhetoric of the political Hulk Hogan in the White House right now.

It depends how they play it.

Triple H's big talking point at the Business Partner Summit was the global development system;

TripleHGlobalLocalization2.0.png

It definitely feels like the UK brand, and to a much lesser extent the NXT North American Title, are their first steps in that direction. He calls it "Global Localization";

“... going into individual markets around the world, we will create scaled versions of the template we’ve created: organizing tryouts, recruiting talent, establishing Performance Centers and building, on the ground, NXT-style brands. You can already see this template starting to take shape in the UK. We have the talent, we have a UK Championship, and now, we’re ready to give those fans more.

[The June UK shows in London] will kick off the next step in the evolution of our European brand. But we’re not stopping there. We’re taking action in regions all over the world. [The Greatest Royal Rumble and the 10 year agreement with the Saudi General Sports Authority] includes localized tryouts, training, a possible on the ground Performance Center and even a Middle Eastern brand. Imagine, imagine that engagement - when a kid of Riyadh or Dubai or Jakarta can grow up as a WWE fan, be recruited by us, be trained by the WWE, become a champion in their home country, go on to compete globally in NXT, debut on Raw or SmackDown and one day, step out into a sold out stadium, on The Grandest Stage of Them All, at WrestleMania. Imagine what that could create in that market. Imagine what that can create in places where the demand for WWE is the greatest, but the supply is limited only by geography.

We envision NXT style promotions, not just for fans in Europe, or the Middle East, but also India, South America, and more. It’s the same grassroots territory feeder system that existed before - except now, not on a national level but on a global level. And all under the WWE banner.”

WWE don't have the infrastructure to be micromanaging separate promotions, separate Performance Centres, separating touring crews in countries all over the world. But they can delegate, and find people in those areas already on good terms with them.

I've heard it rumoured that the reason they brought Johnny Moss to the Performance Center is to prep him to eventually become head trainer for a UK offshoot. They'll be working with the likes of PROGRESS in the UK on the logistics of putting on shows, booking venues etc., so there'll still be a "local flavour".

Moving into Japan, Mexico, or anywhere where wrestling has a pre-existing cultural baggage, I'm sure they'll be working alongside promoters and people close to the scene already, and giving a WWE-ised version of what the people expect, rather than just throwing the cultural expectations out of the window and giving them Roman Reigns matches.

I suppose it's going to be a test of the strength of the WWE brand - for good and for ill - if it's able to draw as a "WWE" show without name WWE talent attached, but also if "WWE" could potentially be off-putting to markets that haven't already bought into it, even if they go to the effort of tailoring the product to local tastes. Interesting times!

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It depends how they play it.

Triple H's big talking point at the Business Partner Summit was the global development system;

TripleHGlobalLocalization2.0.png

It definitely feels like the UK brand, and to a much lesser extent the NXT North American Title, are their first steps in that direction. He calls it "Global Localization"

*puts on post-graduate snob glasses*

Originally called "Sonyism". Sony came up with the concept in the 70s and 80s, although they first called it "glocalisation". Adapted from "Toyotism" (yes, it was a thing) where companies used universal templates, but delegated in their countries of manufacture, so as to ensure affordability in their respective markets. Sony adapted that model by extending the variability to their regional systems, i.e. universal templates with changeable parts to take into account local culture, local politics, local logistics, and local environmental sensibilities.

• Paid Members

So did anyone else actually try for tickets to this?

Got allocated 4 for the Thursday night, but rejected for the Friday. My mate tried for the 2 Saturday shows and got nada.

Might be a laugh, for free...

12 hours ago, Statto said:

So did anyone else actually try for tickets to this?

Got allocated 4 for the Thursday night, but rejected for the Friday. My mate tried for the 2 Saturday shows and got nada.

Might be a laugh, for free...

If that is the case then I am guessing they have been popular. I believe if you had tickets for the next WAW Epic studios show you were guaranteed a ticket.

On 26/04/2018 at 3:36 PM, Cod Eye said:

Is there any reason why WWE would not end up on terrestrial tv in the UK in the future? I'm thinking, that while it seems ITV is set on having a wrestling product on it's channels, would it not work out financially viable to go for the UK rights to WWE when Sky's current contract is up?

I think the shambles of wcw on itv then channel 5 in the 90s and Heat and Royal Rumble on Channel 4 in the early 00's is enough for wwe to not consider prime time on terrestrial tv.

On 26/04/2018 at 12:29 PM, westlondonmist said:

Promotions can use guys and put them on their posters saying they have been on ITV and are watched by numerous people.

"AS SEEN BY NUMEROUS PEOPLE"

55 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

"AS SEEN BY NUMEROUS PEOPLE"

Fair point, has too much of an Alex Shane Fwa ring to it. 

On a serious note I saw that Ricky Knight had said he spoke to ITV and all seems okay. I think we may well see Roy and Zak on it as stag and possibly Saraya in the women's division. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

On a serious note I saw that Ricky Knight had said he spoke to ITV and all seems okay. I think we may well see Roy and Zak on it as stag and possibly Saraya in the women's division. 

Hmmm that would be interesting, given the WWE-backed Knight family movie coming out. 

Archived