ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

10 hours ago, zahidf said:

Seems to be working fine for them. They get a pipeline to talent for NXT, they get content for the network and i assume the tapings pay for themselves. 

so yes!

Do they need the content? It could be easier just to take a few of them into NXT so is it needed as a development. After contracts are the tapings paying for everything. Not saying it will not be around but I think they may scrap it after a while or make it less regular.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
41 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

It could be easier just to take a few of them into NXT so is it needed as a development.

It makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Yes, they could just stick a few of them into NXT and I imagine at least a couple of the top guys, Dunne for example, will become NXT regulars before long. But with the amount of British talent they have signed over the past couple of years they clearly understand that it is a hotbed brimming with talent right now.

They can't cram all of the potential British talent into NXT, but at the same time they don't want to miss out and see them signed by ROH, New Japan, TNA, ITV or anyone else (which before wasn't a problem, you didn't have many Brits being signed elsewhere so they could pick the talent as & when they wanted them). This way they are earmarking the talent, allowing them to still work most of their indies whilst giving them a downside (plus certain appearance etc bonuses), making the Network more valuable by adding even more exclusive content, having readily available local talent for WWE live shows in the UK and also taking a slice of the competitive UK market. At this moment, it's a no-brainer.

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, but wouldn't it make sense for WWEUK to reach out to ITV and try to offer them the content?

ITV get their wrestling show and WWE get their place as the UK's market leader.

As far as I can understand, ITV simply want someone to provide them with the content. 

Sky deal may stand in way slightly but I do not see how as the flagship stuff remains on sky while the localised content is shown on terrestrial channel.

• Paid Members

I'd imagine it would be a Sky issue - don't know the ins and outs of it, but would ITV want a WWE show on their channel plugging WWE content airing on Sky channels? And would WWE want the deal if they were restricted from plugging, or even mentioning, their other programming?

I would assume WWE content would come at a hell of a lot more of a cost than anyone else they could be dealing with, too, without much more of an upside.

Plus, for ITV it's surely about getting use of the World of Sport brand more than just having a wrestling show, any wrestling show.

• Paid Members

I’ve wondered that about Sky and ITV myself, but I’m not sure it works – ITV are only after 10 weeks of programming and you’d think WWE would want more than that to get a proper territory going – maybe they don’t see it as worth upsetting their relationship with Sky.

I do think they should get this on TV, on the it’s “cheap content for the Network” front, they’re constantly asked on Investor calls about their Network spending and how it effects those profits – granted it was live, but they’ve said the UK tourney (and running an extra PPV) was a big part of why their Network expenses were so high in the first quarter of this year, so it’s not a given this type of thing is financially the obvious thing to do.

• Paid Members

I hope the WWE never get anywhere near ITV to be honest. My viewpoint is that goliath has more than enough of a share of the worldwide wrestling market as it yes, let alone a position on network television in the UK.

12 hours ago, PBWFan said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, but wouldn't it make sense for WWEUK to reach out to ITV and try to offer them the content?

Not without massive changes. WWE's UK stuff is squarely aimed at hardcore fans of wrestling, and that is nowhere near what ITV wants on prime time telly.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

I would assume so. Viper popping up in the Mae Young Classic makes it seem pretty clear that the contracts from the pilot for the first lot of tapings have expired, and it certainly looks like ITV haven't got any interest in it.

• Paid Members

I don't think the contracts have expired but essentially it seems anyone who asks out, gets out as they have no legal leg to stand on. 

WWE UK is still a big question mark too, Meltzer still reporting it starts before the end of the year but even he isn't convinced. 

We had a massive TV boom period promised and we've wound up with PCW on the telly. 

3 minutes ago, Benno said:

I don't think the contracts have expired but essentially it seems anyone who asks out, gets out as they have no legal leg to stand on. 

WWE UK is still a big question mark too, Meltzer still reporting it starts before the end of the year but even he isn't convinced. 

We had a massive TV boom period promised and we've wound up with PCW on the telly. 

It will probably take Pcw 2 years to deliver the tapes to the station 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Benno said:

It might not die entirely, but I think it's fair to say that the ITV thing not taking off has either put it on the back burner, or led to WWE taking more time to get their ducks in order before launching it.

If WWE UK is to be a weekly show (which they said it would be) of 1hr duration you'd have to assume that they'd tape AT LEAST every 8 weeks, but likely more regularly. Notwithstanding finding/booking suitable venues, they're going to need to put someone in place to be in charge of the tapings themselves - for the Norwich 'special', I know for sure that Triple H, William Regal & Scott Armstrong came over, because I saw them either with my own eyes or in photographs. Tweets suggested Steve Corino & Matt Bloom were present too. You'd think there's no way they're sending a crew like that over every other month, let alone more regularly.

You'd assume the PROGRESS guys are in the box seat to be 'put in charge', but you'd also speculate as to whether that would mean winding down PROGRESS operations to allow...

They also imported the referees, camera (and presumably at least some production) guys & a backstage interviewer, all of whom are essential to how WWE will want their programming to look/feel, so if you're not going to ship those people over every time, there's recruitment/training to be done.

I had been seeing stuff about Jarrett quoted in conference calls saying he was optimistic about it going ahead. Just begs the question if it's still a go. Sha Samuels talks about it in this interview about his side which raises some possibilities. Whole article is worth a read. Really terrific.

https://snapmarenecks.com/2017/08/24/a-pint-and-an-interview-with-sha-samuels/

Archived