ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It doesn't matter whether it's his own gimmick or not: the African Savage is incredibly reductive, if not outright racist, and it's been 40 years since it was a common sight on British TV. Wrestling has a tenuous grip on the mainstream attention as it is without courting needless controversy like this.

And I say this as a fan of promotions that book Kongo Kong, but those promotions are in the US (which is less culturally-sensitive than it should be) and aimed at adults.

• Paid Members

Spud's involved in this as he'll be at the tapings.

ITV are not going to give a shit about the fan who watches Puro everyday or even the hardcore wrestling fan who expects high work rate. Its not aimed at you.

Kongo Kong is a big man who can fly. In ITV's mind.... "Result".

• Paid Members

I doubt ITV care whether they have "a big man who can fly", because I doubt ITV have given much, if any, thought to the wrestling content of the show - hence why they're farming it out to the Impact mob in the first place. They just want cheap Saturday TV fodder, and are trading off a known brand name.

They won't care how talented Kongo Kong is, or whether he came up with the gimmick all on his own, when, after his first TV appearance (if he makes it that far), they get flooded with complaints that they've put a black fella on TV at tea-time dressed like a racist caricature "savage" from an old Tintin comic and given him a name that implies he's an ape.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I doubt ITV care whether they have "a big man who can fly", because I doubt ITV have given much, if any, thought to the wrestling content of the show - hence why they're farming it out to the Impact mob in the first place. They just want cheap Saturday TV fodder, and are trading off a known brand name.

They won't care how talented Kongo Kong is, or whether he came up with the gimmick all on his own, when, after his first TV appearance (if he makes it that far), they get flooded with complaints that they've put a black fella on TV at tea-time dressed like a racist caricature "savage" from an old Tintin comic and given him a name that implies he's an ape.

If they do complain they can always argue that this was a gimmick and wanted to do it rather it being a character pushed on him. 

To be honest I've never seen Kongo Kong perform, so if he is the kind of character being described here then I'll be less supportive of his inclusion on the show.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

If they do complain they can always argue that this was a gimmick and wanted to do it rather it being a character pushed on him. 

Which might work if he were appearing in Butlins for All Star, but he's not, he's appearing on national TV for ITV. If the Mail splashes a picture of someone off the wrestling dressed up like a cartoon cannibal across the front page, do you think ITV are going to issue a response detailing the nature of pro-wrestling gimmicks, or explain that it's fine because said cartoon cannibal has been doing it for ages elsewhere, or do you think they're going to say "Oops, best get rid of that one" and never show him on TV again?

Honestly, I'd be surprised if he makes it to TV in the first place.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

To be honest I've never seen Kongo Kong perform, so if he is the kind of character being described here then I'll be less supportive of his inclusion on the show.

Yeah same here. Didn't even twig from the name.

Is the gimmick really that bad? Where is it on the 1980/90s WWF scale- Roddy Piper at Mania 6 or Saba Simba?

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

If the Mail splashes a picture of someone off the wrestling dressed up like a cartoon cannibal across the front page

...the headline will include the words "Allahu Akbar".

• Paid Members

As long as it is Kongo Kong v Kongo Kev in a Winner Gets To Keep The Name Kongo on a pole match I have no problem with it. Only problem is, it's TNA booking. So while they are fighting to climb the pole, Dirty Oil sneaks out and blasts them both with a chair, climbs the pole and retrieves the name Kongo. From now on he demands to be called Kongo Oil. Kong and Kev meanwhile are left Kongoless in Preston decide to form a team called Kev Kong Kartel, and they are managed by Ron and Don Harris. 

Archived