ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Paid Members

I think the companies who side with WWE are going to have issues and the companies that don’t, particularly those like Rev Pro and OTT, won’t find WWE playing so nice if they do stay on the outside. The WWE’s VOD rules are already a political mindfield, that kind of stuff is only going to get worse, especially with ITV coming up with rules of their own. They're only saying TV now but who knows. Can't see them wanting their champion getting beat by a WWE guy for example.

For the companies on the good side of WWE, the positives, particularly WWE exposure via WWE UK and even the Axxess exposure, is heavily outweighing any negatives right now, but there’s obviously going to be problems. Both Progress and ICW are marketed in different ways as counter culture alternatives, so it’s a question how they keep their identity as they allow WWE to have more and more of an influence over them. We’re already seeing it with Will Ospreay leaving Progress, likely because he’s New Japan, and the probable exit of the ITV talent. Even small things, like Progress changing all their theme music, likely in part getting ready to go on WWE Network is a change to what works so well in their presentation.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...ok. what the hell. this is both awesome and really weird.

i am not british,but i have been reading/watching a TON of british wrestling lately(The Wrestling Book,When wrestling was golden documentary,the best of itv wrestling,the ITV one off return,etc)and i really like that old style,so i am legit quite happy that it is returning and being funded by a major television station. this is pretty much the british equivalent of WCW suddenly returning from its grave,and it already has a fan base. however,WHY IMPACT??!! i dont get i!! why attach it to a brand who is pretty much dead,with no big names left??!! they would have been much better if they simply brought all new talent and management :(

still,i am really excited for this and would certainly watch it. just hope they return the"rounds"and the"public warning"rules,as they really made british wrestling distinct from american wrestling back in the day :)

still,i am really excited for this and would certainly watch it. just hope they return the"rounds"and the"public warning"rules,as they really made british wrestling distinct from american wrestling back in the day :)

I see the new WOS as a gateway to the british scene. Get them watching on Saturday and a percentage of people will want something more satisfying , such as Progress or ICW . So it should try and be attractive to the most people it can.For ITV to be happy it needs to have good ratings.

It's true that whenever the WOS wrestling is rerun its meant to get to get good ratings . I can't help feeling that it should have a few traditional touchs, such as a remix of the original WOS theme -( OK I know the wrestling on World of Sport didn't have theme music., but you know what I mean ). Have a heritage title using Mountevens rules, let veterans come to the ring with the modern wrestlers , that sort of thing .

According to PWInsider, JR has signed a deal with WWE so he won't be commentating this series.

The report suggests part of WWE's motivation for offering this contract is to stop him working WOS Wrestling. This is because his NJPW on AXS TV work isn't affected by the contact.

On 3/31/2017 at 5:23 AM, CliveG said:

I see the new WOS as a gateway to the british scene. Get them watching on Saturday and a percentage of people will want something more satisfying , such as Progress or ICW . So it should try and be attractive to the most people it can.For ITV to be happy it needs to have good ratings.

It's true that whenever the WOS wrestling is rerun its meant to get to get good ratings . I can't help feeling that it should have a few traditional touchs, such as a remix of the original WOS theme -( OK I know the wrestling on World of Sport didn't have theme music., but you know what I mean ). Have a heritage title using Mountevens rules, let veterans come to the ring with the modern wrestlers , that sort of thing .

with all due respect i would have to highly disagree. WOS WAS professional wrestling in britain for a full Third of a century.it got ratings of 6 and 7 million regularly back when britain was less than 40Million.using it as "a gateway to something more satisfying"is in my opinion an awful awful idea. it should return to its former glory and be to the UK what NJPW is to japan:Their Own Big Company that beats WWE by far in the home country. To do that it NEEDS to not fall into the TNA Mistake of being WWE Lite. it must be different,and its heritage allows it to be. remove the constricting stuff like the "wrestlers wrestle their own weight only,and all weights have their championships"rules,but keep the things that stickout to any fan worldwide as unique:The Rounds system and the Public Warning System(in addition to the referee being nearly sacred and his word followed). that will give it its own identity,attract old fans,and make overseas fans interested."WWE Lite"wont. there is a reason why CMLL is the oldest still running wrestling promotion in the world:It Kept its own identity no matter what.

• Paid Members
On 4/1/2017 at 4:35 PM, uklaw said:

According to PWInsider, JR has signed a deal with WWE so he won't be commentating this series.

The report suggests part of WWE's motivation for offering this contract is to stop him working WOS Wrestling. This is because his NJPW on AXS TV work isn't affected by the contact.

Its quite apparent to everyone now how desperate the WWE is to kill any semblance of competition, even in foreign countries. Bad news for the whole industry tbh.

Its a bit sad how so many people are happy to sit back and accept it for what it is though.

33 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Its quite apparent to everyone now how desperate the WWE is to kill any semblance of competition, even in foreign countries. Bad news for the whole industry tbh.

Its a bit sad how so many people are happy to sit back and accept it for what it is though.

I'd say as long as they can keep ITV sweet, and get past 10 episodes (even if it moves to ITV2-4) WOS/Anthem/Impact need not worry about too much else.

They are sure to gain wrestlers and are certain to lose some to WWE as time goes on. Work on staying on the air, being an interesting show and expanding the brand as they want and certainly here, they would be able to ward off anyone who may be looking to cut their legs off.

I guess the news opens up the question of who could join Alex Shane on commentary. 

As opposed to what? Starting a riot? Boycotting Wrestlemania? 

It's no big loss for this project, the commentary was pants on this. JR seemed bored. If WWE nick off with Grado which I can't see happening, then they will be a bit fucked. 

Get a decent young British PBP in and fuck off Alex Shane for a good colour commentator too. I quite like Andy Boy Simmonz in RevPro 

• Paid Members

Its going to be Jeremy Borash on commentary I presume as he's just liked a tweet from someone saying they are happy Borash is involved, which is good because Borash is a very big World of Sport fan. (Mark Rocco especially).

Archived