ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

The two three hour shows Thursday and Friday don't look enough to film ten episodes, especially given how stage managed the first taping was. I have provisionally booked a hotel for the Thursday Friday

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're going for 1 hour episodes, they'll film backstage stuff alongside it to fit a few more matches in. Could get plenty of stuff in. But don't think 2 tapings is enough for 10 episodes.

Five episodes per night doesn't seem so ridiculous. WWF would regularly tape a whole month or more of Raw/Superstars/Challenge in a night in the early/mid 90s. If they tape interviews and segments to edit in seperately and just tape the matches / in ring stuff at the show itself, they probably only need 30 mins per episode of arena footage to fill what will be a show of about 45 minutes with adverts.

In a weird thing, PCW have moved their Saturday show to the afternoon to not clash with ITV, but ITV have only announced tapings on the Thursday and Friday thus far.

I had assumed it was maybe to persuade the out of towners to stay and watch before heading home on the Saturday.

PCW have also got a "secret show" at the PCW Academy 11pm Friday night.

Two three hour shows would be about right for 10 shows.

Each show will be between 42 and 45 mins.

By the time you have thrown in a previously on, some interviews, trailers and back stage bits the amount of in ring you need drops considerably.

I seem to be the only person whose interest in the ITV/WOS project has actually diminished greatly with Jarrett's involvement...

Not entirely, but I'm prepared to see how that pans out. If he keeps well in the background, no problem. After Vince, I'd have to concede that he's probably had more relative success than most, though obviously there's a cavernous gulf. Any sign of a King of the Mountain Title or even one fake guitar & you'll see me scampering for the hills. Whislt I don't have a problem with inter-promotional stuff, angles etc or partnering with other companies for this or that, I do object to him leeching & trying to bask in the reflected glory, particularly where his input adds little or nothing. WrestleKingdom being an example. Generally sick of American wrestlers claiming they know all about the legendary World of Sport. With the exception of guys who worked during that era and would've probably at least been aware of it (Jarrett would possibly fall into that category) and a few genuine students of the game, that's horseshit. British wrestling barely got a mention, until the youtube clips started appearing, mostly 20 years and more later.

The "World of Sport" name still bothers me. As a kid, not once did I ever ask if I could watch World of Sport wrestling. Nor have I had any casual conversation with any random since, where that name has cropped up. The 2 things weren't synonymous for reasons I've explained before. On a number of levels, ITV Wrestling makes far more sense. Not least that ITV was and is the channel on which wrestling aired, both historically and this time around. They've previously released VHS / DVDs under ITV Wrestling. Moreover if the pilot show is anything to judge by, the current product bares no resemblance to 'World of Sport' in; format, production, rules, style or likely fan-base. Shoving Mark Rocco or Marty Jones in front of a camera for 2 minutes doesn't authenticate it in anyway. Always nice to see them, but the link is so tenuous. Reference and revere it by all means, but putting this product over as a continuation of tradition or whatever is really a falsehood. 28 years took care of that.

Original "World of Sport" photo gallery here, should anyone want to take a gander :

https://puroresuview.blogspot.co.uk/p/british-wrestling-dvds-gallery_22.html

(just scroll down a little way).

• Paid Members

In a weird thing, PCW have moved their Saturday show to the afternoon to not clash with ITV, but ITV have only announced tapings on the Thursday and Friday thus far.

ZLrHk34.jpg

What the hell are they doing bringing in Joel Gertner. Fucking hell.  :laugh:  :laugh:

It's been their style for years, they are big on the old Attitude Era guys/generally the sort their audience grew up watching. A lot of the guys they've brought in fall in that department. Granted, there's not a lot of ECW guys still going and the ones still alive are getting on now, but is he really a justifiable one to put front & centre?

Happy to admit I was wrong about WOS getting another set of tapings off the back of the show at New Year. I'm still not totally convinced that it will be the TV revival of British Wrestling that people are hoping for, but it's got at least one series which is more than a lot manage, so best of luck to them

If they're going for 1 hour episodes, they'll film backstage stuff alongside it to fit a few more matches in. Could get plenty of stuff in. But don't think 2 tapings is enough for 10 episodes.

Five episodes per night doesn't seem so ridiculous. WWF would regularly tape a whole month or more of Raw/Superstars/Challenge in a night in the early/mid 90s. If they tape interviews and segments to edit in seperately and just tape the matches / in ring stuff at the show itself, they probably only need 30 mins per episode of arena footage to fill what will be a show of about 45 minutes with adverts.

Most of the matches they taped back then were 2-3  minute squashes. It's easy to film a months worth of TV when the entrances take longer than the match. 

There's no way they're filming 10 episodes in 2 nights, even if its 1 hour shows. I only watched it on the night, but I seem to remember the pilot was fairly in-ring heavy compared to what I expected, plus any backstage segments still need to be filmed in front of the audience for reaction/continuity. Anyone that went to the old TNA tapings can vouch how much of a slog it is at a TV taping for multiple episodes.

Archived