ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

I feel if they really want it to be a standout British product then they really do need to have a fully British commentary team or at the very least the lead voice needs to be. Having an American will definitely give it quite a hokey feel. I could see people like my Dad complaining about that fact

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, they are probably not aiming the product at your old man. An all british product wouldnt last. It will need some overseas performers to make it more interesting. Brits generally sound shite at promos as well, they need a smooth sound yank to anchor the product imo.

• Paid Members

Grado and Sha Samuels, two of the main stars for this, are far from shite when it comes to promos. I don't know enough about the others to comment but these two have charisma coming out of their arse.

Though I don't agree with the overall point regarding the need for a North American voice, I did note a distinction between being rubbish and sounding rubbish. 

I suggest that is because a fair few of us (me included) have consumed American wrestling as a majority source of wrestling entertainment (as that's what ITV and Sky gave us in the late 80's onwards) especially at the most formative, impressionable stages of growing up. Therefore, legitimate and 'proper' sounding commentary, promos, etc would sound North American.

And expanding on that point, the aforementioned primary consumption has possibly informed the style of commentary, promo and 'wrestling' therefore when adopted in another accent, with accompanying speak pattern, it may sound artificial.

When British wrestlers, in this instance, speak closer to themselves, as they would if giving a speech to colleagues or talking to mates, as Grado and Sha Samuels largely do (citing the two wrestlers mentioned) more of a natural connection is made with the intended audience. Their charisma helps them a great deal as well.

Just my two pence worth and just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

To be fair, they are probably not aiming the product at your old man. An all british product wouldnt last. It will need some overseas performers to make it more interesting. Brits generally sound shite at promos as well, they need a smooth sound yank to anchor the product imo.

True but he is an example of an average Brit mindset. I did mean to mention that Americans on the show wrestling is a good thing if not overdone, one or two could be beneficial

• Paid Members
On 4/5/2017 at 10:06 AM, Porkchopcash said:

Not saying their content is shite but alot of it sounds shite. Kids will think this as well, as uk law said, everyone is so used to american sounding accents, a lot of uk wrestlers promo's come of as poor sounding panto.

Oh no they don't

Looked at ticket prices. They have charged far too much, especially at short notice. They should have gone with £15-25. £16.50-£49.50 including booking is far far too much. If they want people to pay it they will have to announce some matches and some bigger names than Magnus. They need to get Eddy Edwards, Davey Richards and more. Also how much are tickets usually in Preston? I bet they only hit the £50 mark if you get something special.

If this was in London I would probably have gone for a mid price seat but I don't think people will travel to this show, especially as it is Thursday and Friday. Would not be surprised if it ends up papered. 

• Paid Members

PCW 6th anniversary in Preston in August is only £30 front row (there's a VIP version at £50 with t-shirt and meet n greet). 

When they ran the Guild Hall it was a free Tribute to the Troops show though wasn't it?

7 minutes ago, gadge said:

PCW 6th anniversary in Preston in August is only £30 front row (there's a VIP version at £50 with t-shirt and meet n greet). 

When they ran the Guild Hall it was a free Tribute to the Troops show though wasn't it?

If that is the case then why would locals go for WOS? To fill the front row they could easily have given t shirts included as they cost nothing to make.

21 minutes ago, simonworden said:

This is the first WOS tapings though. They must be thinking because of the demand last time.e they can charge that amount. Whether it works or not, I don't know but I can see their logic

Demand was for a free show and for the first ever taping. Some didn't like the show. To be honest I think they can charge increased prices for a tour once the series has been on but not before. I want this to do well but an empty venue can make a show look poor.

Is anyone on here going?

Archived