Unexpected times you got emotional while watching the telly

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Cool Runnings had me in fucking bits. You don't go into a Disney comedy about the Jamaican bobsleigh team expecting to have the cockles of your black soul warmed, but I'll never fall for it again.

Despite being a kids film (And one of my legit favourites,) There are way too many emotional moments in this this for a soft Shite like me to handle.

The last 10 minutes usually result in Niagra Falls (Frankie Baby). I'm maybe going over the top, but it really teaches kids some good lessons. Work hard, Chase your goals, be respectful of different cultures and treat others how you'd like to be treated.

Yul and Junior bond and become mates

The 2nd Sled event turnaround and record time

Tipping the sled and then carrying it over the line.

Juniors Dad turns face.

Yosef Grul turns face.

You done well, Jamaica. See you in 4 years Yeah?

Christ, I'm off again.

cool.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew I'd be sad when I watched Matt Smith Regenerate in Doctor Who, but I didn't expect to be blubbing like a baby.

I was so disappointed by that episode. I liked Matt Smith and expected to be saddened by his departure but I couldn't get on with the format of the episode and by the time it limped over the finish line I felt like maybe I'd lost any interest in Doctor Who. I hadn't but yeah, the only tears that episode bought me to were of boredom sadly.

• Paid Members

When Derice says 'We have to finish the race', and then we get the slow hand clap I'm going, but when he has the hug with Coach Blitzer, I'm normally in bits. 

It's no longer 'unexpected' now, but I discovered in my early 20s that any Disney sports based underdog story would have me in bits by the end of it, just tearing up with joy. It's almost like Disney have used music cues and familiar storytelling tropes to manipulate my emotions. 

There was an episode of Monk where he almost adopts a child whose parents had been killed but then realises that he has too many problems to give adequate care to a child on his own and has to give him up.

I cried . . . at an episode of Monk. 

The episode of fresh prince of bel-air where Will's dad comes back and then ends up leaving him hanging at the end of the episode, and then Will hugs Phil after saying "how come he don't love me man?"...... That's a deep moment.

The scene in hospital with Carlton and the gun in the episode after Will gets shot is a jerker too, especially after Will breaks down after taking the bullets out

One that always gets me, even though I'm nearly 32 is the episode of Saved By The Bell where Zack and Kelly break up at the costume ball when the truth comes out about Kelly and that creepy college guy managing the Max set to Slater and Jesse singing 'How Am I Supposed To Live Without You'

• Paid Members

The episode of fresh prince of bel-air where Will's dad comes back and then ends up leaving him hanging at the end of the episode, and then Will hugs Phil after saying "how come he don't love me man?"...... That's a deep moment.

That ending was mostly improvised, the hug from Uncle Phil was Avery Brookes hugging his friend rather than the characters hugging.

You can hear Hilary crying off camera during the silence.

• Paid Members

One that always gets me, even though I'm nearly 32 is the episode of Saved By The Bell where Zack and Kelly break up at the costume ball when the truth comes out about Kelly and that creepy college guy managing the Max set to Slater and Jesse singing 'How Am I Supposed To Live Without You'

To me Jessie only things one song in SBTB and that is of course I'm So Excited

• Paid Members

To me Jessie only things one song in SBTB and that is of course I'm So Excited

Mate...

• 1 year later...

When Sipowicz fell off the wagon at the end of one NYPD Blue episode after his son was murdered. 

When Sipowicz and Clark make up at the end of one NYPD Blue episode after Sipowicz has a vision with former partner Bobby Simone's ghost. It sounds corny and it should be, but Dennis Franz's acting is tremendous as always.

Will's "why don't he love me" scene in Fresh Prince made me cry like a baby.

Sean Penn confessing to rape and murder in Dead Man Walking.

Edward Norton's path to redemption meets an incredibly harrowing conclusion at the end of American History X, which was difficult to watch. Pity Norton's been pretty much blacklisted from getting major roles because of his reputation.

Christian Bale's "I know who you are" scene in The Machinist.

Kevin Dillon caving in a handicapped kid's face in Platoon while Charlie Sheen has a nervous breakdown.

The end of Sometimes They Come Back.

Sylvester Stallone's general performance in Cop Land.

• Paid Members

I'm terrible for this. I hardly every cry at anything in real life, but give me a TV scene with a bit of orchestral music behind it and chances are I'm welling up.

Most recent examples include the ending to Agents of Shield 100th episode (doubt anybody else watches it, but won't spoil just in case) and I even had a lump in my throat during the Womens Revolution video package on Raw...

Archived