Unexpected times you got emotional while watching the telly

IANdrewDiceClay

The Modern Family episode where Mitch and Cam get married.  I normally laugh my arse off at this show and, although I love all the characters, none of them have ever elicited a proper emotional response other than laughter and joy.  However, what Jay does in this episode (won't spoilt it) reduced me to actual real tears.  Like Chest, I'm sure it was partly my hangover but I think it was also knowing that although I'd do the same, a lot of dads wouldn't.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Unexpected, guys.

That's subjective surely? As I explained in my post, I never expected someone elses wedding, let alone someone I have never met to. And as for Jurassic Bark you never see it coming.

The fact that just thinking about that episode makes me well up even now is not the point.

I once watched the full two series of The Cafe on Sky Box sets. (it's a sky 1 sitcom, with Ralf Little. bit crap tbh) and I welled up a little towards the back end of season two. (when the couple the show was built around eventually got together)

to be fair, I'd only just broke up with my long term girlfriend, was physically and mentally exhausted and I think I was drinking at the time so it was probably more down to that, but still.

• Moderators

Treach looked like a bloke in his early 30s on that show. Turns out he's 62. Good for him.

Fuck off! Legit? That would have made him about 45 in Oz, and he looked about mid 20s!

His imdb says 1970. I think someone's just having a laugh and editing his wiki page to say he was born in '54. I did laugh really hard when I googled him and saw he was 62, like when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out, and there was a bit about it in The Sun (at someone's house, I'm not a prick) and it said Harrison Ford was 82.

There was a documentary released a few years back, 'One Night In Turin', about England in the World Cup in 1990. Blubbed my way through most of that, through a mixture of nostalgia, memories of watching it with my granddad who'd passed away a few months before the documentary was released. A great documentary, loved it. I own it on DVD, and haven't been able to watch again.

The Fast Show was always full of pathos but when it's Teds wife's funeral and he collapses while walking off and Ralph catches and consoles him. Fucking hell. Shame it was retconned for the special and Kathy Burke played her.

• Paid Members

His imdb says 1970. I think someone's just having a laugh and editing his wiki page to say he was born in '54. I did laugh really hard when I googled him and saw he was 62, like when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out, and there was a bit about it in The Sun (at someone's house, I'm not a prick) and it said Harrison Ford was 82.

:laugh: Oh fucking hell! I watched the whole series and kept going "fair play to him, looks great for his age." Nobody has even bothered to edit that wikipedia in what seems like months then. As if nobody cares about Treach. Anymore.

Despite the fact I find it weird to get emotional over what are essentially cartoons, The Simpsons is bad (good?) for this. I had a week long comedown once where all I did in the evenings was watch tear-jerking Simpsons episodes and cry.

These bits always make me well up:

- The end of Mother Simpson with Homer looking at the stars as the credits roll

- "Do it for her"

- Bart paying for a photo of himself for Marge after he'd been previously caught shoplifting

- Bart and Lisa's ice hockey game where they skate off together after remembering how much they love each other

- Bart singing Happy Birthday to Lisa

Also, Lisa getting Bleeding Gums Murphy's music played on pirate radio in tribute to his passing.

Cut to various characters taking notice and tapping their feet, never knowing who he was but having their day brightened for just a minute or two by what he left behind.

Yeah but that sentiment is crushed because it's a Lisa centric episode and that Jazzman song is fucking cringeworthy. It may not even be from that episode but I don't care, that's how bad it is, it stinks up entire characters.

Archived