Unexpected times you got emotional while watching the telly

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I recall watching a show called Couples Therapy where Treach from Naughty by Nature reunited with the Dad that abandoned him as a child, and I bawled my eyes out. Even through the tears, I remember saying to myself "why's his Dad calling him Treach?" Like he only knows the gimmick, not the Man. Anyway, highly moving, through. I never get sucked into the emotion of reality show bullshit. I usually watch it in the hope of finding people more miserable than I am. But that was a nice moment.

Anyone else had one of these unexpected bouts of emotion out of the blue?

EDIT: Also, I know they saw "black dont crack" and everything, but Treach looked like a bloke in his early 30s on that show. Turns out he's 62. Good for him.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I laughed uproariously when Mike Baldwin died when I was watching Corrie which I didn't expect. Mainly due to Cock Roache's "OH NO!" which completely ruined the scene. Laughter is an emotion.

Sad scene ruined at 2:39 by Barlow.

Actually Peggy leaving the Queen Vic hit me more than it should, especially as I can't be doing with Barbara Windsor. I think its just Julia's Theme in general when it plays. When I die of a massive heart attack in the rain outside the bookies in Ruabon one early afternoon at the age of 42 I want it to play.

• Moderators

Treach looked like a bloke in his early 30s on that show. Turns out he's 62. Good for him.

Fuck off! Legit? That would have made him about 45 in Oz, and he looked about mid 20s!

• Paid Members

Intro to "Quantum" Leap always done it for me. One where the woman is talking about him "finding his way home".

Whole of "Highway to Heaven" with the sadly departed Michael Landon did it as well. Bit where he hops into some guys car with a big smile in the intro even though Landon is fucking dying from Cancer for most of it makes me tear up. Stories of him getting disabled kids to act in the show and write some of the stuff for the show makes me even more emotional. Seemed a proper gent.

• Moderators

I remember a couple years back I was hungover and watching a Friends rerun whilst eating my bacon sandwich. As most people will know, Being hungover short your brain a bit and can sometimes make you a bit emotional. I started welling up at some stupid bullshit where Monica and Chandler were preparing for their wedding.

I mean, this was about a couple weeks before my own wedding, but still... It's the kind of shit I'd be rolling my eyes at normally, and cursing the telly that this kind of mawkish nonsense had no place in a comedy show.

Then I realised the absurdity of the situation and started laughing.

• Paid Members

Kate and Will's wedding. I have never been a massive fan of The Royals (Princess Di RIP), and I could not understand why everyone was getting so excited about it. I was home, alone, as my wife of about a year, was out working and I had it on in the back ground. Then, she stepped out in the dress and I was transfixed. I watched the rest of it in tears in my eyes.

Then I noticed Pippa's arse. But soon got back to the wedding. I think it was due to my own being not far after, but that affected me.

For real sadness though I offer just two words

Jurassic Bark

Despite the fact I find it weird to get emotional over what are essentially cartoons, The Simpsons is bad (good?) for this. I had a week long comedown once where all I did in the evenings was watch tear-jerking Simpsons episodes and cry.

These bits always make me well up:

- The end of Mother Simpson with Homer looking at the stars as the credits roll

- "Do it for her"

- Bart paying for a photo of himself for Marge after he'd been previously caught shoplifting 

- Bart and Lisa's ice hockey game where they skate off together after remembering how much they love each other

- Bart singing Happy Birthday to Lisa

Jurassic Bark

That was going to be my entry to the thread. Damn that episode! For the record I also erase the retcon in one of the made for dvd movies from my mind because that ruined one of the greatest TV moments ever...

• Paid Members

- The end of Mother Simpson with Homer looking at the stars as the credits roll

Tbf, that was quite a sad moment. I felt down watching it.

For some reason, the final scene and final few words exchanged between Raylan and Boyd in Justified made me emotional and I don't know why.

The first time I saw Jurassic Bark it was unexpected, for Futurama to throw something like that in there caught me off guard. I think it caught the team out too because after that when they tried to recreate strong emotions it never quite hit the mark again.

Archived