It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

27 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

It sounds awful, I know, but it seems like this could be a long week for the U.S. to leave without a tragedy on home soil. Things are ominous as fuck. 

Man.....When I was a kid I remember thinking how cool it would be to live in America , I wouldn’t move or live there for any money now.

The place is a mess .

Well played Putin , well played.

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Man.....When I was a kid I remember thinking how cool it would be to live in America , I wouldn’t move or live there for any money now.

The place is a mess .

Well played Putin , well played.

Yeah but also you didn't know shit as a child and Putin didn't give them no workers' rights, no healthcare and about 10 holiday days a year. Great place to visit but I wouldn't want to fucking live there unless I was minted and/or retired.

I don't want to get all 'NEW WORLD ORDER ACTUALLY RUNS THE WORLD!!!' but if he refuses to leave, couldn't the powers to be just say "Look mate, stop being a silly cunt, get your books from the loo and fuck off"

Imagine Trump being carried out of the White House ala Julian Assange a few years ago. That would be fucking wicked.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

At what point do some of the results start coming in then, Wednesday morning?

It varies by state. This article estimates when polls close in each one and when the US networks are expected to 'call' them (obviously add on 5 hours to their best guesses for GMT). The expected declaration of full results varies from minutes afterwards to weeks later. 

ITV are starting their coverage optimistically early at 11pm, with the Beeb following suit at 11:30. Anybody working on Wednesday is probably better off going to bed. If you only waited until votes on the east coast started to be counted in 2016, you'd probably have presumed Clinton was winning.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Imagine Trump being carried out of the White House ala Julian Assange a few years ago. That would be fucking wicked.

I pictured Low Ki at that show that time but that says a lot about me to be honest!

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I don't want to get all 'NEW WORLD ORDER ACTUALLY RUNS THE WORLD!!!' but if he refuses to leave, couldn't the powers to be just say "Look mate, stop being a silly cunt, get your books from the loo and fuck off"

If he officially loses the election, he ceases to be president at noon on inauguration day. At that point, White House security no longer work for him and will be expected to remove him if he refuses to leave peacefully.

It's the "officially loses the election" part that's causing concern, as he has acquired undue sway over how that result is determined. Biden needs to not only win but win by incontestable margins, to deny Trump any sniff of an opportunity to steer proceedings through his crooked system.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

I really do hope we don't see trump in for another term. He has been a absolute maniac these past 4 years and nearly caused world war 3 on a number of occasions with his disrespectful/goading ways towards north/South Korea. 

how does everyone else see it going tomorrow?

I'm cautiously optimistic. For a long time I thought it would be 50/50 and Trump's re-election wouldn't have surprised me. But with the way things have been going lately, I have hope. It's just a shame it may have taken hundreds of thousands of dead Americans to secure an already well earned defeat.

• Paid Members

I'm optimistic, but it's going to be the first time I haven't stayed up to watch election coverage at all, let alone pulling an all-nighter. Partly because I just can't face it, partly because there's nothing to particularly get excited about - I'm not enthused about Biden, so I won't get any particular rush out of seeing votes coming in for him.

Assuming no electoral college fuckery, I can't really conceive of a way in which Trump wins. He scraped it in 2016, and that was against a toxic candidate, arguably the only one he could have actually beaten. Despite the best efforts of his hardcore base and the international troll farms, the "Hunter Biden's Laptop" stuff just isn't landing the same way that "Hillary Clinton's Emails" did, the "Biden is senile" stuff isn't getting as much coverage as all of Clinton's imagined illnesses. There's a real sense of them trying to repeat their success, but just failing to get lightning to strike twice.

What it all seems to add up to is that people aren't going to vote for him as a vote against Biden - anyone buying into Biden as a dangerous far-left commie is voting Trump regardless - and I can't conceive of him having won over more supporters than he's lost in the last four years. The people who bit their tongue to vote for him last time likely won't again, the people who bought into him as a change candidate won't vote for him again, and there will be people who maybe weren't offended by anything he did during the election but were by something since. 

The danger is that the only Trump supporters left are the far-right, the QAnon cultists, and those who have had so much of their personality tied up in being a Trump supporter that they've potentially lost friends and family, and define themselves by their MAGA hats and Owning The Libs. They're a lost cause, too far gone to win over, but what happens to them if he loses? All the QAnon lot who have convinced themselves that every Trump fuck-up is actually a 4D chess move against the enemies arraigned against him are either going to have to try and spin him losing the election as somehow being a bigger victory than if he had won, or they're going to have to come to terms with the fact that the Satanic paedophile Democrat Deep State establishment beat their boy - and then what? If they honestly believe all the bullshit, how are they going to react to those people being, in their eyes, unequivocally in charge?

And what happens to Trump? Even if he's dragged kicking and screaming out of the White House, there seems to be a significant school of thought that he'll end up put on trial for his various crimes, as if the likes of Donald Trump ever face justice, and is if the American political establishment will permit something as embarrassing as putting the former president in the dock. What's more likely is that he either launches his own media empire that makes Fox News look fair and impartial, or he basically goes into permanent campaign mode and continues holding increasingly unhinged rallies up and down the country. Meanwhile, his lawyers will try and contest the result on every grounds possible, and that will drag on for months, if not years. Maybe he'll even try and run again next time.

And, in spite of all of that, if he lives long enough, he'll end up rehabilitated in the public eye, with appearances on chat shows and glowing think-pieces looking back on the Trump era. 

Its odd as if it was anyone other than Trump, most people would just assume Biden has this in the bag. It ALL points to it, especially given the polling has factored in even more getting it wrong after 2016. If Biden does win, we'll look back and say it was actually a straightforward election where Biden was never in danger. The Trump factor is basically the only thing convincing people he's winning.

Anyway I'm not staying up tonight. I usually set my alarm for 3 am on US election night as you usually get a feel of who is winning, but this year I think unless Biden is declared in Texas/Florida we'll wait till about Thursday for a clearer picture. That's of course if Trump hasn't blown up Ohio or something.

24 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

And, in spite of all of that, if he lives long enough, he'll end up rehabilitated in the public eye, with appearances on chat shows and glowing think-pieces looking back on the Trump era. 

"Say what you will about Trump, but he was right about illegal aliens, wasn't he? Ha ha, only kidding, Quarg - back to you in the studio."

• Moderators

If anyone wants to GET HYPE, here's a really long piece in the New Yorker about the chances of him going to jail if he loses. This is the worst timeline, so that won't happen, but for now we have that horrible hope, so it's a nice thought. Some great stuff in there about how terrified he is of losing, like this bit from his niece.

She described the “narcissistic injury” that Trump will suffer if he is rejected at the polls. Within the Trump family, she said, “losing was a death sentence—literally and figuratively.” Her father, Fred Trump, Jr., the President’s older brother, “was essentially destroyed” by her grandfather’s judgment that Fred was not “a winner.” (Fred died in 1981, of complications from alcoholism.)

Yeah the polling in 2016 was actually more bang on with the margin of error than people go on about. Nationally she was always winning bigger, but state wise it was very close. He had in the end around a 30 per cent chance of winning which isn't bad in a two horse race.