It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

House Speaker is the term I should have used instead of House Majority Leader for Pelosi. Going to bed angry with myself for that.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

3 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

If Trump loses then he ceases to be president on inauguration day, no matter what. If Biden dies in the interim then I think the job passes to the VP (Kamala Harris) and then, if necessary, to the House Majority Leader, which is currently Nancy Pelosi of the Democrats (who also takes over if no winner has been declared by that date).

Hope I've got that right, but it's definitely not just a case of offing the president-elect and staying in power. Not yet, anyway.

If Biden dies before he's inaugurated, are all the delegates pledged to him then expected to vote for Harris in the Electoral College? I think, as you say, the Presidency would go to the Speaker instead, or else the House of Representatives would decide who wins. 

Wouldn't worry about your mistake with terminology either. The US Speaker of the House is very different role from the UK Commons Speaker, and the position is even less neutral than the name implies over there. Pelosi is in effect the leader of the Democrats in Congress, not just somebody to chair the debates. 

I’m no Ian Hislop but what are the chances of Biden winning, stepping down immediately/dying and Kamala Harris ripping off a mask Scooby Doo style to reveal that she is actually Vince McMahon. Pretending to be a black lady called Kamala has Vince written all over it plus there’s the revenge for ‘Mania.

19 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

If Biden dies before he's inaugurated, are all the delegates pledged to him then expected to vote for Harris in the Electoral College? I think, as you say, the Presidency would go to the Speaker instead, or else the House of Representatives would decide who wins.

Each candidate's VP pick is named on the ticket, so it's not like people have voted for Biden without knowing that Harris is plan B should the worst happen. Therefore I think it would be unfair and unreasonable if she were bypassed, but I'm not 100% certain she wouldn't be.

Meanwhile as we sit here hypothesising, Trump's having a normal one:

But surely that would never ha...

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

If Biden wins and dies...

...before the Electoral College vote (14 December) then the electoral college delegates would be told by the Democrat party to vote for Harris, and for a picked replacement as VP. There'd be a glitch as some state laws say the delegate has to vote for the candidate named on the ballot paper, but the Supreme Court has already said that's not enforceable if that candidate has died.

...after the Electoral College votes are cast but before they are formally counted by Congress (January 6) then Congress still has to count them up and declare Biden the winner. However, he wouldn't be able to take up his position on Inauguration Day and it would go to Harris. The same applies if he dies between Congress counting the votes and the inauguration. (In this scenario the vice presidency would be vacant and President Harris would pick somebody to fill it.)

1 hour ago, ElCece said:

Why all this chat about Biden dying. Have I missed something. 

My thoughts exactly, he looks in reasonably good nick, I'd be more likely to put money on Trump going, especially if he loses, pretty much guaranteed an aneurysm 

6 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

I mean, If Biden wins, i hope he steps down so Harris can become prez. Two old white men who don't speak for the new generations? They need to go.

I don't think he needs to step down. He knows he's not the future of America, but he's probably a necessary interim step towards it while the country's sitting on such a powder keg.

I have as much animosity towards Trump as anybody, but it annoys me when the people/news channels supporting Biden turn things like that "Biden will be shot" statement in to huge deals where everybody can see it was just a bad choice of words.

"Biden will be shot" most likely just meant Biden will be knackered.

"Proud boys stand down and stand by" most likely just meant he wants them to not do anything.

"We have more cases because we have more testing" most likely refers to the fact that countries who don't test as much will probably have more undiagnosed cases than America does.

He says so much stupid and false shit every single day that there is plenty for the people who oppose him to highlight and critisize.

Picking up on stuff like those examples above just dilute that and doesn't do anybody any favours.  

20 minutes ago, dopper said:

"Proud boys stand down and stand by" most likely just meant he wants them to not do anything.

I agree that he was probably trying to say what he was being prompted to (whether it's what he wants is another matter), however the named group took his words as an order to stand by for action and have been selling merchandise with this supposed endorsement, which he's done precious little to discourage and set straight.