It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

It was nice to see journalists standing their ground instead of letting his spin go unopposed.

NBC reporter Peter Alexander: "You said today that you had the biggest electoral margin since Ronald Reagan – 304, 306 electoral votes. In fact, President Obama got 365 in 2008."

Trump: "Well, I'm talking about Republicans."

Alexander: "President Obama 333, George H.W. Bush 426 when he won. So why should Americans trust..."

Trump: "I was given that information, I was just given it. We had a very big margin."

Alexander: "I guess the question is: Why should Americans trust you when you accuse the information they receive as being fake, when you're providing information that is not accurate?"

Trump: "Well, I was given that information. I was, actually, I've seen that information around. But it was a very substantial victory. Do you agree with that?"

Alexander: "You're the president."

• Awards Moderator

Ive seen the theory that he's getting bored with the actual governing and just wants to campaign like he enjoyed doing, hence the short notice conference, this rally they're doing in Florida, and the constant Hillary references. I don't think he wants to realise he's got to do the job now, I think he'd have chosen to keep the election season going another year if he could.

The more I see of that conference the less I can believe it actually happened. The guy they got on Newsnight to talk about it last night was unbelievable in his responses. Ditto the guy on the Today Programme this morning, though to be fair in the latter's case they just laughed at him when he tried to say Trump was the result of how the BBC were too nice to Tony Blair or some rubbish.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Wasn't that more of a withering acceptance of "You're the president, if you say so"?

I don't think so. More like "You're the president. You of all people should be checking your facts before speaking."

Edited by Uncle Zeb

One of Trumps advisers, Kellyanne Conway, (the one who made up the bowling green massacre via her "alternate facts"), has been banned from a US TV show for basically talking shite every time she's on.

Also just seen some of that news night stuff, how are some of these people in the places they are? In this case, how have these certain people risen to the point where they represent the President of The United States? Its baffling. They must know that by appearing on national television and stating that 99% of all media is lying, they look like fruit loops? Half they time they are being asked fairly straight forward questions, and then kick off about it. Either that or out right say something is wrong, when it isn't, despite what facts there may be.

• Paid Members

I feel like there's a lot of blood in the water in terms of Republicans who rode into power on the back of Trump, and in a sense can't believe their luck that he's in such a state so quickly. This is probably why Mike Pence seems to be coasting above all of this, looking like the wrong man, whilst people like Flynn and obvs Trump himself are getting both barrels in terms of leaks and mockery. Pence is a horrible arsehole with a full slate of terrible opinions and ideas, but that's the Republican party. I get a lot of that feeling from conservatives that I follow on Twitter who are still hanging on to the "Never Trump" movement — Liz Mair, Ana Navarro, and Rick Wilson being the three most prolific and never Trumpy — they mainly leave Pence out of discussion, as they want him to be untarnished and able to take over when Trump ends his run on top.

• Paid Members

Can you imagine if Teresa May had a news conference and casually mentioned that she's the longest serving Prime Minister since Thatcher? And then when she got called on it, just went "I was given that information, I was just given it. "

I genuinely can't tell what's worse: if Trump thinks it's fine to flat out lie on something that's not even slightly subjective, or if he actually has no idea what's happened in elections, believes anything he's told, and arselickers are lying to him to flatter his ego.

• Paid Members

Anybody see that thing in the Independent today where a presidential historian's apparently says he reckons Trump's only got a few weeks left before he gets impeached over something? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/historian-says-donald-trumps-presidency-likely-to-be-second-shortest-in-history-a7583181.html