World Of Sport Wrestling Pilot

Jon-Carr_92

• Paid Members

I'm sure once it's aired combined with timeshifted viewings, recorsinga, catchup etc there may well be a decent number. I guess it'll depend on how well it features in the "This Festive period on ITV" trailers. I'm sure they'd find somewhere for it on the schedule. Stick it on against Final Score or whatever.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If you were the guy sat on the side of the hard camera, with a red tshirt and glasses at the end of the 2nd row from the front........you are a dickhead and so are your dickhead mates.

Constantly trying to get himself over, overly cheering all the heels and booing all the faces. Kept playing up to his mates next to him and arguing with kids in front of him. Abusing the warm up guy, constantly shouting "1 fall" when specifically asked not to. Starting obscure indie chants and generally acting the fool. An absolute clown and in my eyes the worst kind of "fan".

If you are reading this, I hate you.

Sounds like Leicester Lantern at a 1PW show in 2006. I was sitting in front of him and his annoying mates.

If you were the guy sat on the side of the hard camera, with a red tshirt and glasses at the end of the 2nd row from the front........you are a dickhead and so are your dickhead mates.

Constantly trying to get himself over, overly cheering all the heels and booing all the faces. Kept playing up to his mates next to him and arguing with kids in front of him. Abusing the warm up guy, constantly shouting "1 fall" when specifically asked not to. Starting obscure indie chants and generally acting the fool. An absolute clown and in my eyes the worst kind of "fan".

Sounds like Leicester Lantern at a 1PW show in 2006. I was sitting in front of him and his annoying mates.

Was that the show they started chanting their UKFF usernames in the hope they'd be recognised?

The ITV presentation of this show is going to sink it. Grado's act seems ironic, self aware, even edgy when he's being showcased on a Vice documentary. On a Saturday afternoon ITV show that's all going to be lost, and he's going to seem like a fat clown. It's like the difference in presentation between NXT and the main roster. Most wrestlers with any kind of gimmick are going to suffer.

I did think Grado's appeal was lost in it. He still came across well to me, but I know him through other shows. For someone seeing him for the first time, they're not gonna get that. Unless I missed a video hyping him where he talks.

Moss and Samuels were good as Mastiff's henchmen. I've known of Moss but never really seen him before but he came across really well here and would be great to turn against Mastiff down the line if needs be.

• Paid Members

Was that the show they started chanting their UKFF usernames in the hope they'd be recognised?

Nope. Think Herbie's thinking of someone else there. Lantern & friends were pretty much the absolute opposite of what's being described here.

• Paid Members

The ITV presentation of this show is going to sink it. Grado's act seems ironic, self aware, even edgy when he's being showcased on a Vice documentary. On a Saturday afternoon ITV show that's all going to be lost, and he's going to seem like a fat clown.

Depends on who you think the show will be aimed at. As with anything ITV puts out, they'll be going for the masses so I think the All-Star 'yay boo' style is what we're likely to see, from the sounds of things (following the tapings) this seems to be the case. I had a feeling they might, it suits the network with their family orientation.

Let's get all hooked up in fantasy world for a moment here. Let's say this is a monumental success and ITV commission a series, which is also successful and we get a new great age of British wrestling. You could see other major networks wanting a piece of the action, for example Channel 4 could pick up Progress. I think that would be a perfect fit. Aimed at young adults, edgier storylines and more-defined characters. Ok realistically it's not going to happen, but that'd be the dream- BritWres all over the big channels.

• Paid Members

That's how I knew who he was. One of his mates nearly jizzed his pants when Lance Storm bridged out of Doug Williams' German suplex. He made groaning noises, blinked really fast, and dribbled a little.

Let's get all hooked up in fantasy world for a moment here. Let's say this is a monumental success and ITV commission a series, which is also successful and we get a new great age of British wrestling. You could see other major networks wanting a piece of the action, for example Channel 4 could pick up Progress. I think that would be a perfect fit. Aimed at young adults, edgier storylines and more-defined characters. Ok realistically it's not going to happen, but that'd be the dream- BritWres all over the big channels.

Been thinking the same. Of course, it would need to be proven to be a success further than just a single episode, so it's still a big *if*. But it's not like the major networks have an abundance of other material at their disposal, they all seem to be airing more and more repeats and quiz shows every year. Imagine a proper two or three channel war between British promotions. There's a 95% chance that it's never happening but I'll be fucked if stranger things haven't happened recently.

Ninja Warrior UK is surely the template they'll be following in terms of TV presentation and audience involvement. Soulless chants of "Beat The Wall" replaced with an equally stage managed chorus of "Go For The Win."

Just glanced at The Sun article. Perhaps it's as well I didn't get forensic on the piece:

"ITV is planning a two-hour special, which will take the same format as the show, which aired on BBC’s Granstand for 20 years"....

Couldn't have got that more wrong if they'd tried. Grandstand and World of Sport were in direct competition.

"Same format as...". Wrong. WoS consisted of pre-taped matches, generally 2 or 3, from actual live events (not put together for T.V), with no audience dress codes or 'behaviour monitors'. If it's referring to Mount Evans rules, then say so...but that'd actually require some knowledge of the subject matter.

Went off-air in '85...wrong.

Davey Boy Smith at 6' 2½"...wrong & so on.

More a case of stringing random words & phrases together than a piece of journalism.

Archived