World Of Sport Wrestling Pilot

Jon-Carr_92

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just glanced at The Sun article. Perhaps it's as well I didn't get forensic on the piece:

"ITV is planning a two-hour special, which will take the same format as the show, which aired on BBC’s Granstand for 20 years"....

Couldn't have got that more wrong if they'd tried. Grandstand and World of Sport were in direct competition.

"Same format as...". Wrong. WoS consisted of pre-taped matches, generally 2 or 3, from actual live events (not put together for T.V), with no audience dress codes or 'behaviour monitors'. If it's referring to Mount Evans rules, then say so...but that'd actually require some knowledge of the subject matter.

Went off-air in '85...wrong.

Davey Boy Smith at 6' 2½"...wrong & so on.

More a case of stringing random words & phrases together than a piece of journalism.

It did go off air in 1985 , last show was September 28th with a taping done a month before from Rugby

Surely this goes the same way as the Gladiators revival, if it gets picked up? Society changes, times change, things move on. Picking up the WOS name and trying to plug into a linear framework of yestedecades surely won't work. I'm not even a negative person; just calling this one like I see it. A casual fan will only compare it to WWE, so the outcome isn't going to be good there. Albeit, LU has proved you can get results if you cater to an audience. But will anybody involved in this be capable? 

Who is involved with this? 

Does it? No idea. I was talking in terms of a fanbase.

I have heard the losses it made within it's first 2 seasons were similar 50% of TNA losses after 10 years. It films at a high price, apparently gives out very good contracts but have only started putting on live shows but they are free entry apparently. Not sure they have any merchandise and also not sure many people actually watch it. 

• Paid Members

Worth noting Joel Ross wasn't the host as stated earlier in the thread, it was a Comedian - Andy Collins. Believe he does X-Factor and other live audience shows for ITV.

Speaking to a couple of people involved they all seem confident there’ll be more shows and were impressed with the professional nature of it all but I’m not so sure. As a one-time special it might do OK as a standalone kitschy piece and they were very smart about including lots of nostalgic talking head pieces with the WOS legends – I think that’ll play well with all of our Dads – but they didn’t really take much advantage of it in the actual matches. I’m not sure going full on mountevans rules is a good idea in 2016, but even having one match resonant of that style, would have been good. obviously Jack Gallagher and likely ZSJ weren't available, but somebody like Tyler Bate would have been a good shout just to have a technical match on the show.

It’s funny, when trying to explain to my Dad where I’d been Tuesday night, I mentioned it was a World Of Sport taping “like the stuff with Kendo Nagaski” in the 80’s but with modern wrestlers. His immediate response was “But how can that modern lot do that, that wrestling was real”.

• Paid Members

Speaking to a couple of people involved they all seem confident there’ll be more shows and were impressed with the professional nature of it all but I’m not so sure. As a one-time special it might do OK as a standalone kitschy piece and they were very smart about including lots of nostalgic talking head pieces with the WOS legends – I think that’ll play well with all of our Dads – but they didn’t really take much advantage of it in the actual matches. I’m not sure going full on mountevans rules is a good idea in 2016, but even having one match resonant of that style, would have been good. obviously Jack Gallagher and likely ZSJ weren't available, but somebody like Tyler Bate would have been a good shout just to have a technical match on the show.

In fairness, the fact that it was clearly only decent as a bit of one-off nostalgia didn't stop the BBC running a full series of Still Open All Hours. Then renewing it for a second series and then doing the same with Porridge. If it's easy to make and people watch, they'll do it to death.

Archived