World Of Sport Wrestling Pilot

Jon-Carr_92

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well got there at half 2 in the first come first served queue, so i was pretty near the front of that. So managed to get in around 615pm, they used like a raffle ticket system so basically like pink number 1 to 70 please go in.

I got in the arena area around 715pm to a rapturous sea of foam fingers and dj otzi hey baby getting crowd going.

Apart from the usual stalling for camera changes and ring fixing it all ran pretty smooth. There are some good matches on it and very much like grado is big daddy, mastiff is haystacks, el ligero is kendo nagasaki, viper is klondyke kate.

You couldnt shout the ONE FALL thing and loudest chanters got beer and haribo.

Would say it was worth the 3 hours but the queues knackered me up. Will it translate on tv my brother who was watching bits in the foyer area said it comes across well.

So fingers crossed.

• Paid Members

Alex Shane is amazingly bad as a commentator. Fucking dreadful. Rather hear the screams of my family being thrown out of window than this cunt. He dresses like he's going to a fancy dress party as a complete twat as well. I swear I watched one of those WCPW shows, and I said "I bet he says some Gorillaism about irresistible force meets immovable object" and he only went and said it. You couldnt make it up. Dave Bradshaw is even worse as well, which is incredible really.

Don't remind me about Dave Bradshaw. Why anyone thought he was good enough to host a show on national television is beyond me. He did that British Wrestling Round Up show and I think he was one of the caretaker hosts after Joel Ross got the boot. His inexperience just shone through and he has absolutely no personality or engagement about him. Though I will always be glad I didn't miss the episode of WrestleTalk where he got his ass handed to him on a silver platter by Raven on the topic of ECW.

• Paid Members

Yeah it was fun. An absolute mess if you didn't have a priority ticket though. As soon as we got inside it was clear those queing outside in the cold had no chance. I'd peg it at 300-400 seats max.

ij9nLiZ.jpg

CTOa01W.jpg

6DfJqDv.jpg

It airs New Year's Eve / New Year's Day - and was very much a TV production. If you've ever been to see a TV Game Show get recorded it was like that. It was in the same studio they tape Countdown in and had a hype man between segments telling people what to do. They also gave out foam fingers and already written signs, my favourite being "GO FOR THE WIN". It had a very ITV 6pm Gladiators feel about it.

JR & Alex Shane were there doing commentary, they had a Boxing Guy Phil Seymour as ring announcer. There were also backstage bits all night with actor Max Beesley Snr as "Mr Beesely" an authority figure running into trouble with the Mastiff/Moss/Sha heel stable. Here he is doing my mates straight to DVD film:

lnc4vuM.jpg

(As well as being the Dad if the other Max Beesley, He was the Colour Guy for Screensport Wrestling says Lister.)

They also ran lots of video of old WOS guys putting over Johnny Saint, Rocco, Big Daddy, Nagasaki etc. It was a bit weird because the old guard were talking in the videos as if the matches were real but we were live in studio with a host counting down wrestlers and manufacturing responses to segments.

Here's the run down. Spoiler Tagged for those arsed.

1. Dave Mastiff beat Grado in the opener for the "World Of Sport Title". Finish was interference from Mastiffs' goons Sha Samuels and Johnny Moss. This setup the show long storyline with Grado as clear top babyface wanting the belt. If you need a Big Daddy he's perfect for the role.

2. Kenny Williams beat Sam Bailey, CJ Banks and Danny Hope in a World Of Sport LADDER Match for some kind of briefcase. This is where it was apparent we weren't getting any Mountains matches. Some fun spots. Great dive from Bailey in here. Banks worked as the sole heel.

3. Coffey Bros over Rampage/Ashton Smith. Ashton and Rampage had the same gear & look like Dad & Lad. This was my biggest takeaway and it was great. Crowd were on them massively for that. Fun tag.

4. Viper beat Alexis Rose. Viper came out with a Snake.

5. El Ligero over Zack Gibson. Probably best match of the night. Both men got great reactions.

6. All night in the "Mr Beesely" segments he was hyping a never before seen, first time ever match he called a 'Battle Royal". It was an 8 Man over the top rope standard Battle Royal. Winner got a title shot against that cheating Dave Mastiff in the Main Event and it had the winners of the previous Male matches plus Samuels & Moss. Harry Smith was also a surprise late entrant billed as Davey Boy Smith Jnr aka the NEW British Bulldog. I knew I'd get my 90's dream of a British Bulldog on ITV one day. It just wasn't on Gladiators.

This was pretty weird as DBS Jr didn't come out until the last three were left to save Grado from a 2 on 1 and he was still eliminated by the heels. Grado won it and they did a big injury tease with him being attacked by Samuels/Moss afterward. Bulldog Jnr did then get to make the save.

7. Grado didn't back down though and beat Dave Mastiff in a short rematch to win the Title and send everyone home happy.

A surreal but fun evening.

Alex Shane sounded like he came in with snippets, but the vast majority was JR. I also couldn't hear him as clearly as JR. I can't recall the line, but one of the few parts I could hear him he said something that stood out as being cringeworthy.

The show was ok. Some good matches, but I felt the presentation was a step backwards. The lighting, set and cameras were all great but the show felt quite cheesy at times. It's hard to juggle getting the balance between catering towards old World of Sport fans and modern fans who aren't as invested in that.

Tagged for those arsed.

2. Kenny Williams beat Sam Bailey, CJ Banks and Danny Hope in a World Of Sport LADDER Match for some kind of briefcase.

The ladder match was for a place in the battle royal, of which the winner would face the champ. Seemed odd, but I guess they wanted a ladder match and needed it to be for something whilst keeping focus on the story of the show.

There were no rounds in any matches. Just a fun easy to digest show.

The backstage promos they were showing for Mastiff/Moss/Samuels looked incredible on the big screen and made the lads look like they deserve to be in the big leagues. The history of World Of Sport clips were also very classy and well produced. Some WOS veterans such as Rollerball Rocco were seen at ringside who were very friendly with fans in attendance which was great to see.

I'm just home from it. I left home about twelve, an hour into my drive remembered I'd left lunch cooking in oven so had to call landlord to go switch it off embarrassingly enough. Got into car park just before 4, went to nandos then joined priority queue about 430. Ny of the literature I got about it stressed how unlikely general access would be, anyone staying in hat queue only had themselves to blame.

Im not gonna go into spoilers, but it was the cheese amd family friendliness I expected. Was surprised how over a lot of the Scottish wrestlers like Kenny Williams, joe Coffey and viper were. It was very respectful in the videos to he old timers, without introducing them to the crowd from front row. I enjoyed it, fun as a one off, but I'd not make that trip again just to watch that

One thing they could have done with is a little ore match promo from each wrestler stating their intent and whether a good guy or bad. A few were getting quite mixed reactions from crowd and could have been a bit clearer

Archived