World Of Sport Wrestling Pilot

Jon-Carr_92

I applied for and got priority tickets.

With the potential issues raised by confusing e mails I contacted the helpline today.

I was informed that all 500 people with priority tickets are guaranteed entrance.

We are asked to arrive and queue an hour before as the process of admitting people to the studio will take time.

Presumably this will include security checks and also checking the photo id which we have been asked to bring.

With the queries raised on UKFF I had considered not bothering to go, but I was reassured by the answers received.

Hope this helps others too.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Have yourself a mention of him from a 2008 article I did for Fight Network:

While British wrestling has traditionally been presented as a legitimate sporting contest between pure athletes, it’s always had its share of weird and wacky gimmicks and characters, from Quasimodo to Simmons the Butler. With today’s perception of wrestling as pure entertainment there are some truly bizarre characters on the British scene.

Voodoo debuted on the British equivalent of a county fair in an outdoor ring squeezed between a carousel and a Wild West lasso display. He’s a masked competitor carrying a skull who makes it well known that he knows voodoo, and warns younger fans that “it works on kids”. Said abilities allow him to force opponents to turn against one another, place opponents in a hold from several feet away, or even take control of a referee’s arm to block a pin count. Voodoo recently conversed with his skull during a match to receive advice, but his opponents secretly listened in, leaving him utterly baffled when they then anticipated his every move. Among his less savoury tactics are throwing maggots at opponents and apparently smearing human waste on his chest before performing a plancha, causing the crowd to chant “Holy poo!”

Carl Richards and Jamie Flint are an odd-couple tag team, with Richards in the grizzled veteran role and Flint an alleged 15-year-old schoolboy. The latter dresses in an oversized singlet (which he will “grow in to”) and attacks opponents with his National Record of Achievement, a government-issued heavy folder for storing exam certificates. Much to Richards’ frustration, Flint tends to get over-confident and make what the crowd refer to as schoolboy errors. The pair were at one point accompanied by a rogue Boy Scout (who now performs as a manager named Alan Alan Alan Tasker). The gimmick is particularly entertaining because Flint has consistently claimed to be 15 for almost three years, and recently sported a full-grown beard.

Mad Man Manson is a modern-day version of classic British ring comedians Catweazle and Les Kellett. He comes to the ring with hand-written comments all over his body (sometimes listing the planned match finish on his foot) and wears one traditional boot and one drawn on with a marker pen. Allegedly the only patient of the New Bedlam mental facility, his matches generally descend into visual comedy and few referees escape without suffering a nipple tweaking.

Darren Burridge is perhaps the best known of the many wrestlers performing as a chav, a much-maligned subculture of youths clad in Burberry-patterned caps, tracksuits and imitation gold, with a reputation for loutish behaviour. Burridge’s take involves being promoted as an Essex Boy (a cultural stereotype in itself), including a self-performed ring theme which takes off Blur’s ‘Girls & Boys’ and implies that young ladies should locate themselves on the rear seat of his car. As well as leading several mid-match dance contests with the likes of Christopher Daniels, Burridge is also known for a large bulge in his trunks which is explained once he reveals the furry dice wedged inside.

Speaking of undergarments, Tagori is a stereotypical masked Japanese character in the All Star group whose entire schtick involves having his tights pulled down to reveal a ladies’ thong and stockings. Traditionally a spot show gimmick, All Star once bizarrely booked him for repeat appearances at their regular Hanley venue, with the second ‘shock’ uncladding receiving a predictably apathetic response.

After being knocked out in a match, Real Quality Wrestling’s JP Monroe became convinced he was actually Tail End Charlie, a 1940s RAF pilot. When not hiding under the ring to evade German troops, he is often distracted during matches by the need to salute and, coming from a less progressive era, was utterly baffled by the presence of effeminate character Jules ‘Man’s Man’ Lambrini.

Shelf performed for the cult Triple X Wrestling group and was literally an inanimate metal shelf. This didn’t prevent him (or it) winning the promotions Ax title, contested under 24/7 falls count anywhere rules. The promotion also had a Smash title, which could only change hands by submission, and a Crush title, which could only be defended against newcomers. There were no title belts, but the holders were presented with an Ax, Smash or Gene Snitsky action figure respectively. Among TXW’s other stars were an all-female tag team known as the Legion of Womb, and That 70s Team, consisting of father Andy Shoes and Son CK Light. That the pair were clearly of a similar age was explained by the fact Shoes was a time traveller from the 1970s who risked subverting the time-space continuum to partner his son.

Sam (no surname) is South Wales Championship Wrestling’s resident jobber. In true 1980s TV taping style, he has no entrance music, walks to the ring with the referee, and is not announced until his opponent has entered the ring. In 1-2-3 Kid/Mikey Whipwreck, he is now on a winning streak thanks to repeated outside interference by fellow babyfaces.

There are several ethnic based character around the country, including Prince Mohamed Ameen (an alleged Arab Prince), Russian Radek Anenco, and Omer Ibrahim, a Turk-Cypriot who claims to have won his nation’s championship in a 137-man tournament and reassures fans “Don’t panic, I’m Islamic!”

There is also Twissie Romanoff, another alleged Russian who to date has performed mainly in the Futureshock Wrestling promotion as part of the ‘100% Proof’ team with Jimmy O’Shea. The pair are united by their love of drinking, in particular the locally-brewed Boddington’s beer. (Both men once eliminated themselves from a battle royale after a rival grappler took the microphone and made a false announcement that the bar was about to close.)

Romanoff has now become a regular in the nearby GPW group where he leads the Eastern Bloc faction, which incorporates fellow Futureshock wrestlers Chris Egan and Jack Domino (now rebranded as Jackov Dominesky). The group play off recent concerns over Eastern European immigration to the UK, claiming they are here “to take your jobs, your women and your wrestling championships.”

I'd forgotten about Jamie Flynt until just now! I miss the days where FutureShock gimmicks were decided in the car ride to the venue, and were just completely bonkers.  Sam Slam is a very different person, Jamie was definitely never able to do a Shooting Star Press, or develop abs.

IIRC Sam Slam was a WAW guy best known for being so ridiculously strong that when the ring broke at King of Indies, he lifted it up by himself and held it while it was repaired.

Was that the King of Europe Cup in Liverpool after Hero/Castagnoli broke the ring? I have vague memories of a big lad doing such thing

With the potential issues raised by confusing e mails I contacted the helpline today.

I was informed that all 500 people with priority tickets are guaranteed entrance.

We are asked to arrive and queue an hour before as the process of admitting people to the studio will take time.

Presumably this will include security checks and also checking the photo id which we have been asked to bring.

With the queries raised on UKFF I had considered not bothering to go, but I was reassured by the answers received.

Photo ID? Is that only asked for the Priority tickets?

That's the one. King of Europe. Don't know how I could possibly have mixed it up with King of Indies.

Christ almighty, I don't think I've watched that since I first got the DVD. If I remember correctly Jody Fleisch buffered his face up quietly doing a shooting star to the outside and got face-to-face with the poorly position wooden steps leading from the stage.

Whatever happened to Sam Slam? I remember at the time he was being touted as a potential breakout talent

• Paid Members

Whatever happened to Sam Slam? I remember at the time he was being touted as a potential breakout talent

Married, became a dad, got out of the wrestling business it seems. Not necessarily in that order.

AFAIK he is the "SN" behind this online bookseller:

http://biblio.co.uk/bookstore/snaylerbooks-bury-st-edmunds

That's the one. King of Europe. Don't know how I could possibly have mixed it up with King of Indies.

Christ almighty, I don't think I've watched that since I first got the DVD. If I remember correctly Jody Fleisch buffered his face up quietly doing a shooting star to the outside and got face-to-face with the poorly position wooden steps leading from the stage.

Yup, smashed his face on the steps and busted his jaw. 

I was up in the balcony with my mate and even we could see his face was swollen from the landing.

I also remember Trent Acid being stupidly reckless with Pac on several occasions during their match too.

Yup, smashed his face on the steps and busted his jaw. 

I was up in the balcony with my mate and even we could see his face was swollen from the landing.

I also remember Trent Acid being stupidly reckless with Pac on several occasions during their match too.

Think they showed that one on WrestleTalk once as part of their Botch Box segment.

Photo ID? Is that only asked for the Priority tickets?

I don't know whether it applies to first come first served as well. Its just what was stated in the e mail I received.

Archived