World Of Sport Wrestling Pilot

Jon-Carr_92

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Steve Lynskey's said he's refereeing.

go on then, I'll bite.... is he delivering the ring as well?

No. Wrestling Rings UK are building the ring for the show: https://www.facebook.com/wrestlingringsuk/photos/a.870032969703723.1073741832.858412914199062/1325601120813570/?type=3&theater

As somebody who is well known in the workplace as a huge wrestling fan I actually hope this gets buried away on itv4, I'm sorry but Grado is going to make a mockery of the whole thing, there's comedy wrestling then there is just plain embarrassing. And is Rose v Viper really the best match to showcase British Womens Wrestling?

And JR, now the man is currently popping up a lot in the 'Favorites which you soured on' thread and each to their own and all that but we can all collectively agree as wrestling fans that JR is a instantly recognizable voice but to the non fan? JR is going to sound like everything that is wrong with 'American Wrestling' to those who miss the World of Sport days. 

I have a feeling this will push British wrestling back a decade

The only person I can see coming out of this well is Mastiff because he looks like the evolution Giant Haystacks (big gigantic guy that can work but actually also looks like an athlete)

As somebody who is well known in the workplace as a huge wrestling fan I actually hope this gets buried away on itv4, I'm sorry but Grado is going to make a mockery of the whole thing, there's comedy wrestling then there is just plain embarrassing. And is Rose v Viper really the best match to showcase British Womens Wrestling?

And JR, now the man is currently popping up a lot in the 'Favorites which you soured on' thread and each to their own and all that but we can all collectively agree as wrestling fans that JR is a instantly recognizable voice but to the non fan? JR is going to sound like everything that is wrong with 'American Wrestling' to those who miss the World of Sport days. 

I have a feeling this will push British wrestling back a decade

The only person I can see coming out of this well is Mastiff because he looks like the evolution Giant Haystacks (big gigantic guy that can work but actually also looks like an athlete)

Viper has been touring Japan regularly the last year or so, Grado has the most charisma of any wrestler in the uk. He will be perfect for this as can appeal across all age groups,and easily be put on talk shows and the radio circuit beforehand to publicize. Can't get such negativity before anything has happened. Mastif looks like an athlete? Last I seen him in person was in January, and his builds second team rugby player, hardly an athletes look expected by casual fans in wrestling.

Re the timings, lady I spoke to said taping was aimed to be 7-1030, but to expect to be there until at least 11

People need to take this for what it is. It's a throwback to World Of Sport with a modern day twist. They're being very specific right now that this is a one off special. Of course they will test waters as with anything.

When you look at their roster, it would appear (as an avid WOS fan myself) that they have researched characters from the original ITV run and tried to find those on the scene now who draw parallels to them.

For example Viper = Klondyke Kate, Grado = Big Daddy, Kenny Williams = Danny Collins...that sort of thing.

• Paid Members

When you look at their roster, it would appear (as an avid WOS fan myself) that they have researched characters from the original ITV run and tried to find those on the scene now who draw parallels to them.

For example Viper = Klondyke Kate, Grado = Big Daddy, Kenny Williams = Danny Collins...that sort of thing.

That's a hell of a stretch. They've gone for solid workers that actually have some character. I don't think they've sat down and gone "right we need the modern Mick McManus"

It's not really that much of a stretch. The key word you used there is character, which is more or less what the original WOS is based on.

It's essentially a reboot of what was once a very popular British TV show. So why wouldn't they draw on influences from the original run?

Archived