World Of Sport Wrestling Pilot

Jon-Carr_92

• Paid Members

Why would there necessarily be a battle? What would they be battling over and how? If the British scene is thriving, and there is an abundance of talent to go around, then they can both benefit. One is on free TV, the other on a subscription channel. I don't see how this announcement would have a negative effect on WOS's prospects for that reason.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how WOS could be affected when it is currently a one off show.

It also shouldn't cause issues for any other company in British wrestling, unless WWE starts signing talent to exclusive contracts.

Considering this show is at best, a pilot which, obviously will get commissioned for a full series if it does well enough. I don't see what they'd be scared about. If anything, I think it's a way to shut UK fans up re: the lack of a PPV. WrestleMania I don't think is realistic because they'd probably do more harm than good because they'd probably have to can a whole European Tour which always sells out consistently well regardless how well they're doing to justify it. Plus it's very hard to secure a stadium over here. A lot of them have enough on their plates with gigs and some actually limit how many non sporting events they can have in a given year. For example. The Garth Brooks controversy over his 5 planned Croke Park gigs when they used their 3 allocated gigs on One Direction. As capable as Wembley is for boxing having hosted Froch v Groves II and will have Joshua v Klitshko there next April. I also don't think they'd be able to license it for more than 90,000 because Froch v Groves was only good for 80,000. I honestly don't think it's realistic it'll ever happen. Plus they'd have to bid for it. Didn't Boris Johnson mention it recently even though it was pointless considering he'd already opted not to stay on as London Mayor?

• Paid Members

Is there an abundance of talent? I'd rather one decent showcase than the pool being split in two.

I'd say so, considering the talent announced by both are very good and there are tonnes of other names thrown around on here that aren't signed by either.

Seeing as you hate WWE's ridiculously big market share of wrestling, why would you want one showcase rather than the pool split in two? Sounds a bit contradictory to me.

I don't see how WOS could be affected when it is currently a one off show.

It also shouldn't cause issues for any other company in British wrestling, unless WWE starts signing talent to exclusive contracts.

A) ITV is trying to sign UK wrestlers to contracts RIGHT NOW. This is for more tapings. Things don't just happen the minute something is publicly announced. Tons goes on in the background before then. The general feeling (and was reported in this week's Wrestling Observer) is that ITV is getting ready to tape up to 13 weeks of tv in early February. The NYE show is technically 'a one off' but most within both the tv industry and the Brit Wres community are expecting a series to be greenlit. Why do you think WWE is doing what they're doing right now and at this specific time too?

B) It is precisely because of the reason of exclusivity that other companies are concerned. There is a fear WWE will not allow certain wrestlers to work for what they view as competitors. There are already issues - Wolfgang (ICW Champion) will miss the Jan 15th ICW tv taping. PROGRESS Champions Pete Dunne, Trent Seven and Tyler Bate will all miss the PROGRESS Birmingham show on Jan 15.

I bet people will be annoyed Dunne won't be at that show. PROGRESS' first show in Birmingham, the champs hometown.

Alongside Trent Seven, and Tyler Bate. That's nearly their entire upper echelon of top heels out for their debut in a new city, which is a blow for them.

I could see WWE allowing them to use Tommy End or Gallagher for a show, to be honest, as a goodwill gesture. They have a good relationship with PROGRESS, no? Allowing them to host some CWC Qualifiers, and Regal showing up there a few months back - certainly wouldn't be an impossible scenario in my eyes.

• Paid Members

ICW's TV is being taped at the same time as the WWE show, so they have to go without their World Champ and number one contender for that. Progress are indeed debuting in Birmingham that weekend too and are going to be without their Midlands based World Champion and Tag Champs. They've had to strip the the Tag Champs today.

The other thread is probably the better one for this kind of none-ITV discussion though, a lot of the points being raised in this thread now have been discussed lots there already.

https://ukff.com/topic/137817-todays-observer-wwe-vs-itv-possibility-of-uk-only-network-show/

Archived