Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

Did Gable get a bit of a pop purely because he dropped two people directly on their heads or is he generally getting decent reactions now?

On the Bryan thing, im fairly certain this is just leading to nothing, purely playing on the idea that hes possibly been cleared when really they have no intention of him getting int he ring.

• Paid Members

I’ll never forget how insanely over Jordan and Gable were on that NXT tour of the UK a few years ago. In Blackpool, they literally couldn’t start their match for how crazy the crowd were chanting for them. You wouldn’t think they were the same guys these days.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/email-increases-speculation-wwe-moving-dual-brand-ppvs-251656

There
has been speculation over the past few days that WWE will move back to 12 dual brand PPV's a year. Potential financial benefits for WWE are thought to be that it would help the struggling ticket sales, as well as a reduction in production costs, which are somewhere around $1,000,000 per PPV.

• Paid Members

Interesting. If true, they've probably realised that there is a ceiling to their subscription numbers. It's a pity if they do like, because the Network, in it's current form is proper underpriced and a steal for wrestling fans. Vince proper lost it by giving it all away for only £9.99 a month.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Apparently actual PPV was also up this year by 15%. Years after they started giving the shows away for $9.99. Which means even now, that the bad PPV numbers at the start of the decade really wasn't PPV dying, but more that either the model was changing or that the product WWE were providing wasn't convincing customer's to part with their cash.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Apparently actual PPV was also up this year by 15%. Years after they started giving the shows away for $9.99. Which means even now, that the bad PPV numbers at the start of the decade really wasn't PPV dying, but more that either the model was changing or that the product WWE were providing wasn't convincing customer's to part with their cash.

That's probably more to do with the fact that they have slightly upped the number of PPVs they have, isn't it? Not by much mind you, but a couple of extra PPVs a year, even with a shite buyrate, will likely see an overall increase.

I think you only need to look at what the potential card for Fastlane is going to be (see my comments in the Smackdown thread) and realise individual PPVs - at least on the Smackdown side - are not particularly attractive. I don't think I've watched a full Smackdown PPV since the new brand split, only the odd big match. I have watched a few RAW shows, however. They now need to get a balance right of having a stacked card, giving opportunities for workers across both brands AND trying to avoid overexposure. Going to be a tricky balancing act.

That F4W article doesn't explicitly say that this would mean a move back to a Pay-Per-View model for individual events. I think they may have been using the term 'PPV' colloquially to just mean 'big monthly show'. I expect they'll still all be on the network at no extra charge.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

That's probably more to do with the fact that they have slightly upped the number of PPVs they have, isn't it? Not by much mind you, but a couple of extra PPVs a year, even with a shite buyrate, will likely see an overall increase.

I think you only need to look at what the potential card for Fastlane is going to be (see my comments in the Smackdown thread) and realise individual PPVs - at least on the Smackdown side - are not particularly attractive. I don't think I've watched a full Smackdown PPV since the new brand split, only the odd big match. I have watched a few RAW shows, however. They now need to get a balance right of having a stacked card, giving opportunities for workers across both brands AND trying to avoid overexposure. Going to be a tricky balancing act.

You're probably right, that likely is a large part of it come to think of it. 

A very difficult balancing act it certainly is. There are good and bad points to combined PPV's, it's tough to know what the best solution would be. Whether this is good news or bad news for the viewer will be difficult to gauge, until WWE change it and we see what way the chips fall. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

That's probably more to do with the fact that they have slightly upped the number of PPVs they have, isn't it? 

Aye that was my initial thought. Rather than an individual event breakdown, are the numbers possibly broken for over the year, and with more events, more viewers/revenue.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, The King of Old School said:

I hope that doesn't mean that all shows will be now 4 hours long plus a 2 hour pre show.

The latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter claims that all pay-per-views will be 4-hours long now. This is being done to ensure that all top stars from both brands will be featured on the show. The new four-hour format does not include the pre-shows, which will now feature at least two matches.

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping: