The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

Listened to the Wrestle Me podcast on Mania 24 last night which made me want to watch Flair vs. Michaels again. Went on the Network for the first time in forever today and there's a 24 on Flair in the build up to that match. I thought it was an alright watch but not really anything I hadn't heard before.

Anyway, I fancy watching a Flair collection now but I hear collections have been taken down. Is there any other means of watching a collection? Like, someone posting links to key matches/promos etc?

And whilst I'm at it, has anyone seen the latest Broken Skull Session with him from a couple of months back and is it any good?

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

And whilst I'm at it, has anyone seen the latest Broken Skull Session with him from a couple of months back and is it any good?

Unfortunately its rambling and Flair rarely directly answers the questions put to him. 

• Paid Members

Superbrawl II!

What a superb event this was.

The opening match needed no introduction to me because it's one of my all-time favourites. Quite often when it was a Japanese vs American match in WCW, there would be visible communication problems but that was never the case with Jushin Thunder Liger and Brian Pillman. It's still, for me, the greatest PPV opener of all time and the crowd and Jesse Ventura made it all the better. It had absolutely everything that I look for in a wrestling match and it's always a pleasure to revisit it.

Bagwell and the Taylor Made Man had the 'follow THAT' match and while they were never going to match it, they still had a decent match. Taylor was having a pretty good run of matches at this time and I'm started to wonder if he was underrated. He couldn't hold his laughter at the crowd chanting "Rooster! Rooster!" at him. He lost but then battered Bagwell afterwards to a good reception.

Ron Simmons then beat Cactus Jack in a really enjoyable brawl. You could see Ron was enjoying not having to hold back in this one.

Van Hammer and the Z-Man then beat Richard Morton and Vinnie Vegas in a match that could only be described as bizarrely good. The babyfaces were both shit but they were also ridiculously over.

Barry and Dustin then beat Austin and Zbyszko in a fantastic tag match that had tons of feeling behind it. Zbyszko was so much fun to watch in his interactions around the ring and he was smooth in everything he did. I've really enjoyed this return he had.

Arn and Bobby beat the Steiners in another fantastic tag match, with the heels retaining after a blinded Scott suplexed Pee Wee Anderson. Eaton, unsurprisingly, took the smoothest looking Frankensteiner that Scott ever delivered. What a blessing he is.

Rick Rude beat Ricky Steamboat to retain the US title after Steamboat's ninja twatted him with a phone. I smell a rat! Open the windows. A slow-burner, this, as most of Rude's matches were but the end sprint was absolutely great. Superb match.

Sting then beat Lex Luger for the world title. Luger then saw his arse and stormed off to the WBF as Sting looked on after the match. I know this gets some stick but I actually think it's a great little match with plenty of impact and some quality stalling. Not a fan of the crossbody finish and it's not their best match but it's still more than decent stuff.

Does this have a shot at being the best WCW PPV of all time? I reckon so. Not a single dud, or even close to one.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Superbrawl II!

What a superb event this was.

The opening match needed no introduction to me because it's one of my all-time favourites. Quite often when it was a Japanese vs American match in WCW, there would be visible communication problems but that was never the case with Jushin Thunder Liger and Brian Pillman. It's still, for me, the greatest PPV opener of all time and the crowd and Jesse Ventura made it all the better. It had absolutely everything that I look for in a wrestling match and it's always a pleasure to revisit it.

Bagwell and the Taylor Made Man had the 'follow THAT' match and while they were never going to match it, they still had a decent match. Taylor was having a pretty good run of matches at this time and I'm started to wonder if he was underrated. He couldn't hold his laughter at the crowd chanting "Rooster! Rooster!" at him. He lost but then battered Bagwell afterwards to a good reception.

Ron Simmons then beat Cactus Jack in a really enjoyable brawl. You could see Ron was enjoying not having to hold back in this one.

Van Hammer and the Z-Man then beat Richard Morton and Vinnie Vegas in a match that could only be described as bizarrely good. The babyfaces were both shit but they were also ridiculously over.

Barry and Dustin then beat Austin and Zbyszko in a fantastic tag match that had tons of feeling behind it. Zbyszko was so much fun to watch in his interactions around the ring and he was smooth in everything he did. I've really enjoyed this return he had.

Arn and Bobby beat the Steiners in another fantastic tag match, with the heels retaining after a blinded Scott suplexed Pee Wee Anderson. Eaton, unsurprisingly, took the smoothest looking Frankensteiner that Scott ever delivered. What a blessing he is.

Rick Rude beat Ricky Steamboat to retain the US title after Steamboat's ninja twatted him with a phone. I smell a rat! Open the windows. A slow-burner, this, as most of Rude's matches were but the end sprint was absolutely great. Superb match.

Sting then beat Lex Luger for the world title. Luger then saw his arse and stormed off to the WBF as Sting looked on after the match. I know this gets some stick but I actually think it's a great little match with plenty of impact and some quality stalling. Not a fan of the crossbody finish and it's not their best match but it's still more than decent stuff.

Does this have a shot at being the best WCW PPV of all time? I reckon so. Not a single dud, or even close to one.

Next in my viewing order for early 90's WCW so this is good to hear. I have to say some what guilty I've never seen Pillman vs Liger so that match in particular I'm salivating over.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Remember Foley talking about this one in his book and saying that Simmons hit him so hard with a move early in the match that Foley spent the rest of it coughing and choking on his own blood and was in horrendous pain throughout. Poor sod.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Superbrawl II!

It's surely only this or Great American Bash 1996 in the argument if we're talking official WCW era only. Spring Stampede 1994 is good and Spring Stampede 1999 is also all sorts of fun but I think the latter is just way above anything else of the time rather than truly brilliant. 

I've been watching a lot of recent WCW's shows from 1996, Nitro's and the PPV shows, it's been really enjoyable. most of it I don't remember from the past, I will do proper write up off it later today.

Something happened at Clash of the Champions 32 show between Bobby Heenan and Flyin Brian Pillman. Heenan being his usual heel self was praising Pillman for what he was doing in the ring, Pillman got knocked out the ring, went behind Heenan, took his jacket off is back and Heenan yelled out with mic on still "What the F are you doing?" he seemed very annoyed by it, he walked away to leave, then came back, apologized for his actions and commentated back on the match between Pillman and Guerrero. It seemed to came out of nowhere as if it wasn't a work or planned, anyone remember it?

The write ups on here are fantastic, credit to all of you who have taken the time to write and help us all remember show's we have watched, or shows we want to check out now from what you have said.

5 hours ago, Gooner said:

Something happened at Clash of the Champions 32 show between Bobby Heenan and Flyin Brian Pillman. Heenan being his usual heel self was praising Pillman for what he was doing in the ring, Pillman got knocked out the ring, went behind Heenan, took his jacket off is back and Heenan yelled out with mic on still "What the F are you doing?" he seemed very annoyed by it, he walked away to leave, then came back, apologized for his actions and commentated back on the match between Pillman and Guerrero. It seemed to came out of nowhere as if it wasn't a work or planned, anyone remember it?

Bobby had recent neck or back surgery I think and from what I’ve read previous wasn’t expecting anyone to grab him at all and may have even thought it was a fan that grabbed him 

Edited by Rapey Eyes
Fucking autocorrect

9 hours ago, Gooner said:

I've been watching a lot of recent WCW's shows from 1996, Nitro's and the PPV shows, it's been really enjoyable. most of it I don't remember from the past, I will do proper write up off it later today.

The write ups on here are fantastic, credit to all of you who have taken the time to write and help us all remember show's we have watched, or shows we want to check out now from what you have said.

It wasn't planned. Heenan had the bad neck, and Pillman was being so weird and whacky in real life in the month prior getting his Loose Cannon character off the ground, that Heenan didn't know what he was doing, whether he was trying to rip his jacket off or pull him in the way of Eddie and risk his health and got nervous. Funnily, Heenan got a bit of flack from WCW who thought the TBS higher ups would be mad, but as it turned out they didn't care that much or really even notice. It was one of very few things at that period of Pillman that happened on a fluke and wasn't meticulously planned out.

There's a book on Pillman that I hear is pretty decent, check it out. >_>

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

The other thing to add to that is Heenan would have been looking at his monitor, so not expecting anyone to come behind him that wasn't on camera - he might not have immediately even realised it was Pillman. 

• Paid Members

From Superbrawl II....to WrestleWar '92.

The first six matches on this just have me wondering if the same company was responsible for the previous PPV.

It starts off with The Freebirds vs The Taylor Made Man.... and Greg Valentine. I know somebody's going to come along now and point out all these great matches the Hammer had but honestly, he bored the crap out of me when I was younger and today is no different. This match goes on for fucking ages before The Freebirds win the US tag titles, which were still a thing apparently.

Johnny B. Badd then had another bore-fest, this time with Tracy Smothers. At least Jesse Ventura fuming about The Kiss That Don't Miss made it listenable.

Scotty Flamingo then beat Marcus Alexander Bagwell in a semi-decent match, certainly the best out of the first half-dozen in this. Raven just didn't work as a light-heavy at all but they scrapped together something here.

Ron Simmons beat Mr. Hughes in a dull bore. Did Hughes glue those glasses on? He must have done.

Super Invader beat Todd Champion. Nobody cared.

Big Josh beat Richard Morton. Ditto. Ventura's comments on Josh's personal hygiene were hilarious. Morton involved in another botched finish. His singles run was the fucking shits.

Then along came Brian Pillman to rescue this whole thing, in a superb match with The Z-Man. The crowd were brilliant for this, made the atmosphere electric. These two had great chemistry.

The Steiners beat Fujinami and Iizuka in a classic that must still hurt to this day. Iizuka got kneed in the face by Rick early, spent the rest of the match trying to reconnect his nose, and still hit all his spots. It was messy and un-coordinated at times but both teams were so good that they still put on a belter. Superb.

And the WarGames to end! An absolute bloodfest and absolutely fantastic. The MVP here was Dustin Rhodes, who was just fucking brilliant in this - then again, everyone else was really good too. Austin bled almost to death and was bumping like a lunatic even 20 minutes in. Probably the first match in 30 years to end on a bloody armbar, but quibble aside this was every bit as good as is reported.

Saved by the final three matches, but saved superbly, it has to be said.

Watched some of the Best of Backlash compliation on the Network earlier, starts off with the Austin/Rock match from the first Backlash in 99 then for some reason skips over 2000 and 2001 into the Edge/Angle match from 02, Rock/Goldberg from 03 and the still brilliant Orton/Foley match from 04. The last match I had on, well the intros for at least, was the Edge/Cena/Michaels/Orton match from 07. They've also re-locked the Backlash events that were free to watch on the Free tier now which is annoying

• Paid Members

Clash of the Champions 19

Oh great. Another all tag match show. AWESOME. So it's a tournament for the NWA tag titles and it's got an international flavour for some reason.

The first match is alright though. Steamboat and Koloff beat the Malenko brothers (representing Hungary ffs), briefly raising hope that this might not be a total waste of my time.

Rick Rude and Steve Austin then beat Bagwell and Zenk in a pretty good match too, with the heels completely dominating and slapping Bagwell around. Probably why I liked it.

Terry Gordy and Steve Williams! They're going up against a pair of Aussies called the O'Deas. One of them looks about 76 years old. The Aussies get absolutely mullered in about two minutes. Bloody great.

The Steiners were supposed to wrestle "the Puerto Ricans" but apparently Gordy and Williams run them over so they can face the Steiners. The latter then cut a promo where Doc says that everyone from Michigan is queer. Eric Bischoff looks absolutely livid.

Barry and Dustin then beat Arn and Bobby in, obviously, a superb tag match that didn't go long enough for me. Not the best match all four had but they couldn't ever go below excellent.

The Freebirds had a match against the Silver Kings. Now, at the start, this was going better than expected and the crowd were really buying the Mexicans flying about. The last few minutes though go completely to shit and nobody knows what the hell's happening.

The second best match of the night was Jushin Liger and Brian Pillman versus Beef Wellington and Chris [REDACTED]. This was absolutely great and the crowd really got into it. The Canadians lost but won a lot of friends that night! Oh dear.

WCW then put a couple of jobbers in masks and pretended they were from Dominican Republic to get battered by Akira Nogami and Hiroshi Hase. I don't know who Nogami is but Hase's good.

Gordy, Williams and the Steiners then fucking murdered each other for a bit after spending the first five minutes doing freestyle mat wrestling that nobody cared about. As soon as they started battering each other, the crowd bloody lost it. The Steiners lost! Match of the night.

This was actually far better than I expected because my expectations were rock bottom.