The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

Wrestling related of course. :)

I'll start.

IJW'd ... some 'classic' WoS shows which mainly featured Big Daddy.  I'm of an age where I thought, "this will be great nostalgia!" but alas I'm utterly pissed off.  One, I've used a chunk of 'download allowance' & two, big Shirl was fucking wank (as Daddy).  I've seen footage of his Battling Guardsman gimmick, & to be fair he was reasonable then ... 

Call me a sucker for nostalgia, but Christ on a bike Daddy was the drizzling shits.  I didn't know it at the time, of course, but I'm gutted I have this now on disk. :/

Your turn.

• Paid Members

Halloween Havoc 1990. The set is simplistic but beautiful, and it makes everyone look like stars. Stan Hansen is quality and Jim Ross and Paul Heyman are a familiar sound for the 2001 in me.

Moved onto Starrcade 1990 but it's all 2 minute tag tournament shit.

Early 1990s WCW has a horrible habit of shite tag tournaments but give me it over 1994-1995 Hogan era or 1998 onwards.

• Paid Members

Slowly working my way through 1996 WCW on the WWE Network.

Just reached mid September when the nWo had recruited 'Sting'. Fantastically entertaining and DDP was over much more than I remembered at the time.

I've been flicking through the first couple of months of the nWo too. It really was tremendous at first. I've just got to The Giant turning and it's the start of the decline. Horrible choice along with Dibiase and it'll only get worse.

Tried to watch the Nitro after Spring Stampede 2000 last night. It's horrible. Such a desperate feel, hideous production and Vince Russo being the biggest turn off and complete non-star who anyone (himself) ever gave TV time too. Focusing on the WWF when they were hundreds of leagues below was super lame too.

Watched In Your House 2. I remember it not being on SKY when it originally aired and remember getting IYH 1,2,3 for Christmas that year. With the exception of the Shawn Michaels and Double J (Ha-Ha) the event itself, has not aged not particularly well.

I'm slowly working through WWE PPV's from 1995, )in between watching Raw and Smackdowns from 2001). As a whole the PPV's have not been as a bad as I remembered them to be.

• Paid Members

Watched In Your House 2. I remember it not being on SKY when it originally aired and remember getting IYH 1,2,3 for Christmas that year.

The first In Your House event on Sky was Revenge of the Taker in April '97. It was shit that Sky didn't have the rights to IYH for the first 2 years.

I recall that most of the PPV used to be shown on WWF Mania/Action Zone

• Awards Moderator

I've just watched Donald Trump's WWE Hall Of Fame induction. It's surreal. Vince actually says in his introduction "when you think about it, second only to me, Donald might well be a great President of the United States" and the crowd boo it, thankfully. Vince then asks if he'd be a better President and gets a "YES" chant.

The crowd boos the fuck out of Trump the entire time he's out there except when he namedrops people like Andre the Giant. Pitcos needs to gather Dem Wans together and send them out to Trump rallies because if they ever had a use, saving us from President Trump is it. Even Trump challenging Vince to a fight gets booed. Weirdly he's using cue cards ... It's bloody odd to watch knowing what we know now.

A month or so's worth of WWF from late 92, a really busy spell too. Jimmy Hart stabs the Nasties in the back to sort Money Inc out, Jannetty returns with a Becky Lynch-esque Irish Jig and runs off Michaels, and Bret Hart is the most fightingist WWF Champion of all time having seen off Skinner, Shango and Virgil all on telly in a short span. Kamala is going to be resting in peace too, appropriate as those coffin-building segments are absolute fucking death.

I'm really fond of this period actually, because I was just so into Bret's first run as World Champion and Shawn's first run as IC Champ. Say what you want about WWE spinning certain times in their history, but I genuinely believe at the time Vince legitimately did want to take a chance with these guys before Hogan flickered his eyelashes at him around Mania. The *big* stories and heartbeat of the company centre around those two, and once they both had belts it was absolutely the Survivor Series main event on telly despite heavy big star involvement in the tag match and the late Perfect face turn. Very enjoyable product for me, laden of course with lashings of nostalgia.

Damnit. My saturday night just got ruined by a 1992 talkshow about an alleged´WWF peadophile scandal´.......

I was watching a a small interview with Dave Meltzer on YouTube and after that, it automatically skipped to the next one: a talkshow with Meltzer, Vince McMahon, Billy Graham, Bruno Sammartino and some people claiming they were fired because they did not want to sleep with Pat Patterson. Sammartino even blatantly claimed the `ring boys` were handpicked by Patterson for certain reasons. And his claims were backed up by Billy Graham. WTF

Next to the Chris Benoit murders, this has to be the weirdest WWE scandals of all time and of their biggest covers ups because I never knew it was such a big story back in the day. I knew of the steroid scandal, but this was all new to me.

Very bizar story.  Patterson was ofcourse never convicted and still works there today.

FFS. Night ruined.

Edited by LWOLeN

For our podcast tomorrow we've watched Bad Blood from 2003. I won't say too much, but fucking hell, 2003 WWE really was bizarre sometimes. This show was Raw exclusive so I thought 'maybe SmackDown was doing better', googled it and the following SD pay per view features Vince McMahon vs. Zach Gowen.

So there's that.

Edited by Daaaaaad!