The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

Oh yeah it was catchy enough. The refrain was pretty perfect but they couldn't have filled the gaps in between with somethign even mildly passable?

I actually like 'My World'. Easily Jarrett's best theme . . . of admittedly a shit bunch.

It was better than that instrumental knock-off of Cowboy by Kid Rock he used to have towards the end of WCW. Wasn't there a really dodgy slowed down version of My World he used to have as well later on?

The episode of ECW where we got "The debut...no the birth of The Raven"

Couple of noticeable points from that episode, 2 Cold Scorpio should never have been allowed near a microphone. How the fuck did Kevin Sullivan get a bird like Woman (Nancy)? And why the fuck was Hack Meyers so over with the ECW crowd? 

On the plus side, Malenko and Benoit looked like the vicious cunts they were portrayed as. Stevie Richards was entertaining again. Joey Styles was great on commentary.

• Awards Moderator

Tonight I'm going on a Goldberg binge. Just working my way through his PPV matches. So far I've watched three, and every one of them has had outside interference...

Edit: Streak broken, match 4 was totally clean.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Couple of noticeable points from that episode, 2 Cold Scorpio should never have been allowed near a microphone.

Im re-watching ECW from the point Douglas threw down the belt and it's heavy on Scorpio at the moment. I agree 100%, he's a terrible promo.

The Public Enemy vignettes are awful too. I cant figure out if they were meant to come off as serious gang members or if it was all tongue-in-cheek?

• Paid Members

I watched the DX parody of the Nation for the first time in years, maybe even since it aired or certainly since I first discovered the internet.

I absolutely loved it at the time. Looking back, it's nowhere near as good. HHH, like most DX things, drags it down with his naff lines. Road Dogg's head wobble, Pac blacking up and Jason Sensation's Owen save it as a segment.

The best thing about that segment is Road Dogg interjecting "you hear that? the brother smacks himself down!" then climbing the ropes and doing the head spin for no reason. Still creases me.

Apart from Sensation's impression of Owen I thought it was utter shite.  It was a bit like the DX 'invasion' of WCW it's been overhyped by WWE on numerous DVD releases.  I always thought The Rock's This Is Your Life segment wasn't half as good as many made it out to be either. Infact when I'm going through episodes of Raw '99 I usually just skip the whole segment.

Edited by The Clint

• Paid Members

didn't rewatch it, but i just listened to the Lapsed Fan (great podcast) review of Wrestlemania 4. I chose because like a lot of people that seemed to be their first VHS tape back in the day. I didn't re-watch the show before it but listening to them talk about the show brought back so many memories with the little backstage segments and things i forgot.

The one thing that stuck out for me though was the running joke of Bob Ueker looking for Vanna White. I'd forgotten all about it until they started talking about it, and the conclusion to the whole thing with a terrible punchline from Ueker which made absolutely no sense. I even remember as a 10 year old kid thinking that it was a shit joke, it had to have been a botched job from Ueker.

Great memories.

WrestleMania XIV is the antidote to the modern WrestleMania. There's zero classics and nothing overblown on it but everything is compact, colourful and bundles of fun. I really enjoyed watching it again. It doesn't matter that the best matches are just strong 'goods'. The atmosphere of the main events entrances alone makes that worth watching, it's such a big, chaotic feel. You really felt it in the building that it took a hell of a lot of aggro to get to this point and something could still go awfully wrong. Even the match graphic was exciting, and the crowd erupted when told it was for the championship instead of just groaning inwardly. 

It also got me to thinking of how awesome TV style angle advancement can be at a WrestleMania when watching Farooq not bother saving Rock. Another awesome little turn moment was Trish going heel. You never really get that at WrestleMania anymore, just the matches. 

WrestleMania XIV rules. 

Earlier I watched the live episode of WWF Mnia from the morning of Royal Rumble 94. Most of it is the usual recap filler but there's a couple of intriguing bits I've never seen before.

* Bret and Owen both drawing their RR numbers. Owen gets a shitty number and then starts to get arsey and Bret gets a decent number and comes over all smug.

* Vince, Savage and Pettengill all going up 10ft in the air on a forklift. ( When Macho makes his entrance he does a 'proper' entrance to his theme whilst the only people there are the ringcrew. Bizarre)