The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

Just watched Perfect v Hitma KOTR 93. A lot better than their SS 91 match. Perfect teasing a heel turn.

A simple thing at the start of the match, The Hitman has his fingers tapes and subtly holds thems as to show they are hurting, as Razor had stamped on them in the first match. The commentaters point this out. Wouldnt happen today. Great match though.

• Awards Moderator

Going on a Survivor Series binge today.

Started with the opener from 1994, where Diesel is an utter badass that they can't fuck up when he gets the title, surely not.

Next was 2005, skipping past the angle from  Raw where MNM abducted Trish Stratus and held her hostage in a basement tied to a chair with tape over her mouth until Melina got a Women's Title shot, which I had totally forgotten, to watch Kurt Angle vs. John Cena, where I had forgotten that there was a thing where Eric Bischoff had them bleep out every use of the word "suck" in the "You suck" singalong in Kurt's music. It's strange that it's a match where Cena's opponent gets the "you suck" treatment in his entrance. Good match.

After that, 1997, and the Nation vs. Shamrock, LOD and Ahmed. Ahmed looks superhuman here. Rock and Shamrock always worked well together, but it's odd seeing the People's Elbow get zero reaction.

Onto 1992, and Flair/Razor vs. Savage/Perfect, followed by Undertaker vs. Batista in the Cell from 2007. That was a bloody great match, and exactly what a Hell in a Cell match should be like. Having watched the three from this year's effort not that long ago, there's no comparison.

1993 up next, and the … er … the Four Doinks match. I may have made a mistake with that one. Bushwhacker Doinks?! Doinks on a Mission?! Nah, of course it's not a mistake! 

Lesnar vs Big Show from 2002 gives me additional hope for the Goldberg match despite the fact that awful tie-dye-shirt-Hogan-impersonating bloke from Full Sail is in the front row. That reaction when he hits the F5, and for the Heyman turn!

Big Show again for 2011, and a Menry match which is decent but hijacked by twats in the crowd chanting for Daniel Bryan. No such chants for Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold from 1996, which is a thing of beauty. What a match! Although admittedly the crowd's torn between chanting for Bret and chanting for Austin.

All the way back to 1988 for the match with Andre in it. Then forward 20 years to the opener from 2008. I kind of miss Rey Mysterio, but what a waste of Shawn Michaels putting him in that match.

Since Diesel was good in 94, and Bret was good in 96, I thought I'd finish by watching them against each other in 95, with that iconic first break of the Spanish announce table. A Survivor Series sandwich with Kevin Nash as the bread. Now that's a Saturday.

• Paid Members

WrestleMania XIV is the antidote to the modern WrestleMania. There's zero classics and nothing overblown on it but everything is compact, colourful and bundles of fun. I really enjoyed watching it again. It doesn't matter that the best matches are just strong 'goods'. The atmosphere of the main events entrances alone makes that worth watching, it's such a big, chaotic feel. You really felt it in the building that it took a hell of a lot of aggro to get to this point and something could still go awfully wrong. Even the match graphic was exciting, and the crowd erupted when told it was for the championship instead of just groaning inwardly. 

It also got me to thinking of how awesome TV style angle advancement can be at a WrestleMania when watching Farooq not bother saving Rock. Another awesome little turn moment was Trish going heel. You never really get that at WrestleMania anymore, just the matches. 

WrestleMania XIV rules. 

I've always been a fan of WM14. I think Kane/Undertaker is a genuine overlooked classic. It feels like a huge match even watching it back. Everything works and the show has a great pace and flow to it.

• Paid Members

I've always been a fan of WM14. I think Kane/Undertaker is a genuine overlooked classic. It feels like a huge match even watching it back. Everything works and the show has a great pace and flow to it.

Kane vs. Undertaker from WrestleMania XIV is one of my favourite matches.

I'm sure some of that and the Taker/Mankind match got cut from the Sky broadcast when it was shown. But top match.

Not sure about Bret/Austin, but Taker/Mankind was cut down to what can't have been more than 5 minutes

Yeah we never got Survivor Series '96 and Royal Rumble '97 live.  This was a weird couple of months for WWE on Sky. Even Raw was 2 weeks behind the US for a few weeks.