The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Awards Moderator

Been doing my usual January thing of watching old Royal Rumbles. Done 1993, 2003, 2004, 2013 and 2016 so far and had a couple of thoughts:

- I'd never thought about the resemblance between Roman Reigns and Rosey until watching the 2003 Rumble and, big weight difference aside, you can definitely tell they're brothers. They never mention him when they talk about Roman's ten dozen wrestling relatives, though, which is a shame. Bring him back as Rosey Reigns and have a tag team, I say.

- People often point to Summerslam 2003 and say that's the only time (until 2016) when WWE booked Goldberg 'properly'. But go back and watch him in the 2004 Rumble - go now, stick the Network on and watch from his entrance until Lesnar comes in and attacks him and Tazz goes into SMACKDOWNGUYS mode. He gets a big pop, he comes in and just murderises everyone until Brock interferes. The Spear to Nunzio's the most memorable part but he just dominates everyone in there and it's fantastic. You also get the (as far as I know) only interaction to date between Goldberg and Cena which lasts about half a second. If they do something similar with him this year they should be on to a winner. 

- Big Show also puts in a proper shift in the 2004 Rumble, he's very good in the closing stretches.

- Roman Reigns being taken to the back in the 2016 Rumble seemed really odd at the time, but I wonder if they weren't trying to replicate the effect they got when they did it with Stone Cold at Canadian Stampede in 1997. He wanders to the back for part of the match but then comes back out to a huge reaction, maybe they were just hoping for the same with Reigns.

- They need to retcon the footage of 2016 to use the camera angles they put on the website the following week that show AJ Styles' debut properly instead of a Roman close-up.

Funnily enough, I watched the 2004 one last week, the first time I'd seen it in forever, and was actually quite disappointed with how it didnt live up to my memory of it - seemed the crowd was pretty dead the whole way through. Conversely, 2005 is way more fun than I remembered with the flurry of great talent in the first half, Raw and Smackdown standoff, Hassan coming out and being such a vile heel that everybody unites and fucks him off, Paul London's great elimination, Vince blowing his quads, and the accidentally hot finish with Batista and Cena having to do it twice.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

with the Benoit one I was a bit disappointed on reviewing that they really nailed that Benoit underdog ironman story into you to the extent nothing else was really believable - that's my hind sight take anyway, maybe someone who was an older fan when viewing can correct me perhhaps. It's like okay to have a Rumble winner you want a decent story but apart from Goldberg (and the Lesnar elimination was far from unpredictable) was there anyone with a swimming chance of getting that Rumble? Not the way they told it, that's probably why it was dead for large portions

though needless to say, that was comparatively as subtle as a gentle whisper in wind compared to bloody 2006. The 06 Rumble might eeeven (meaning I've not looked into the full card, and not put a huge amount of thought into this opinion) be my least favourite WWE PPV in the 21st century, of the ones I've seen which is most of them.. none of the Great American Bash's or Taboo Tuesday shiters or even December To Dismember put me in as bad a mood as that show can

Edited by sj5522

I watched the 2007 one for the first time tonight.

It starts off quite well with Flair, Finlay, Edge, Kane, Booker and Orton catching the eye but soon gets dragged down by loads of dead wood and they're just waiting to get HBK in there.

It's ditto until Khali comes in and you can sense the fear of dread in the Texas crowd that it looks like Khali is going to win the thing and it's almost a relief pop when Taker comes out.

I really like the difference with the final four in that it's almost like two mini-matches for the final stretch, Rated RKO v Taker/HBK and then Taker v HBK.

Been watching some random Network stuff tonight. Bring It To The Table (?) - the new show that I really don't get, they're going for a shoot thing picking on internet fans but just come off looking a bit out of touch with JBL and Heyman in character both ranting and raving.

Legends with JBL with Alundra/Madusa was different. Interested in her thoughts on the Trish/Lita era, mainly she didn't really rate Trish as a wrestler and felt she was just in the right place at the right time. Also that Madusa was homeless before her WWF run, with Vince paying off an outstanding tax bill for her when she signed and Vince's regret at letting her go and that it was explained as a cost-cutting measure.

On ECW's 50 OMG Moments now. I can deal with ECW from the 90s in bitesize chunks, so this ideal.

I watched the 2007 one for the first time tonight.

It starts off quite well with Flair, Finlay, Edge, Kane, Booker and Orton catching the eye but soon gets dragged down by loads of dead wood and they're just waiting to get HBK in there.

It's ditto until Khali comes in and you can sense the fear of dread in the Texas crowd that it looks like Khali is going to win the thing and it's almost a relief pop when Taker comes out.

I really like the difference with the final four in that it's almost like two mini-matches for the final stretch, Rated RKO v Taker/HBK and then Taker v HBK.

Been watching some random Network stuff tonight. Bring It To The Table (?) - the new show that I really don't get, they're going for a shoot thing picking on internet fans but just come off looking a bit out of touch with JBL and Heyman in character both ranting and raving.

Legends with JBL with Alundra/Madusa was different. Interested in her thoughts on the Trish/Lita era, mainly she didn't really rate Trish as a wrestler and felt she was just in the right place at the right time. Also that Madusa was homeless before her WWF run, with Vince paying off an outstanding tax bill for her when she signed and Vince's regret at letting her go and that it was explained as a cost-cutting measure.

On ECW's 50 OMG Moments now. I can deal with ECW from the 90s in bitesize chunks, so this ideal.

• Paid Members

Fuck me, has there been a year in the WWF where there were as many comings and goings as 1993? Have watched the full year of Raws on the network now (didn't take that long, being 40 minutes apiece). But December's roster is almost unrecognisable from that in January.

Wasn't long until the likes of Hacksaw, Tito Santana, DiBiase, Papa Shango, Koko B Ware, Flair, Perfect, Typhoon, Kamala, Beverley Bros, Beefcake, Bossman, Max Moon, Nasty Boys, Virgil, Repo Man, Skinner etc were all gone.

While you had the Quebecers, Adam Bomb, the Gunns, Men on a Mission, the Smokey Mountain crew, Well Dunn, 1-2-3 Kid, Diesel etc all coming in.

Even of those still there, Luger for example, went through a dramatic gimmick change, same with Crush. Bobby Heenan was a massive loss to the commentary team (but Rob Bartlett wasn't)

Obviously it was a time of massive downsizing for the company and it didn't take long until Raw stopped being live every week. But wow, the change from early to late 93 is massive.

Edited by garynysmon

Dynamite Kid Vs Tiger Mask from the early 80's ... for probably the 7th or 8th time ...

Fucking hell, the character of Dynamite Kid was evil as fuck in Japan; the fact he was so over has me slack-jawed. :)  Great, great, great, superb, fantastic ... truly legendary.

I watched some of that, it's based on an ESPN show called 'Pardon the Interruption' where they are given like 30 seconds to discuss a topic. I think WWE/ESPN work together in some capacity (they have wrestlers/divas sometimes on a show with Coach on), so I guess they gave them the OK. I'd prefer they bring back the Legends of Wrestling roundtable format, which I think are one of the best original shows they've made. I also like Table for 3, the recent one with Hacksaw, Sarge & Nikolai is a bit hit & miss though. Best one IMO is the Giants one with Show/Kane/Henry. On paper, it's one you'd think "Nah" but avoiding spoilers it's a fun episode. 

Edited by Really Big Shoe

Ric Flair (w/Woman) vs. Lex Luger (World Heavyweight Title)

Of course this was meant to be Flair/Sting, but Sting injured his knee at COTC and Luger was quickly turned babyface and put with Ric for this.

Oh and it's Ric's birthday

B-s7d7RUcAEQNY2.jpg

Luger is first up with a pre match promo. Says he ready and what's good for him is very bad for Flair. Flair meanwhile is with Woman by his side for his promo. Says that when you have been champion of the world 6 times, you fear no man.

Yup, we're ready.

The man that everybody wants there and back is STING, and he comes out on his crutches

esXaJCH.jpg

Damn straight mate.

Luger is next out, followed by the world champion, the man, Ric Flair, accompanied by Woman

b6b95e89d149871106770dbd918a2247.jpg

YEAH THIS IS BIG AND HERE WE GO

Hot crowd for this as you'd expect. They square off and start jawing at each other to get them going. They start off with some head and arm locks then Luger just says fuck this, and pushes Flair to the floor with great effect. Funk on commentary already putting the match over as it's going to be one of the greats.

Luger again uses his power advantage and Flair isn't happy about this and gets flustered. I sense that is indeed how the match will play out. Luger continues with the power game and Flair bails to get a rest-bite.

This happens again and this time, Flair is like 'Fuck this shit, i'm outta here', and starts to walk the isle, before Lex runs over 'Nope', picks him up, and  carries him back to the ring. I just fucking love Luger's power game and how he uses it against Flair.

It's all Lex so far. Ric tries a cheap shot, but Luger is having none of it, and Gorilla presses Ric again to show his current dominance. Flair chops him, but again Lex is like 'Nope', which Ric does a great 'Oh for fuck sake' reaction to and once again, Lex gives him another Gorilla Press Slam and puts on a bear hug/pin attempt, which was good, then Ric does the old thumb in the eye trick, but Luger gets him into the corner for the old ten punches and Flair does his apron face flop. It's still all Luger, here.

But he hip tosses Flair, then goes for a big ariel splash, but Flair moves and it send Lex flying to the outside. This could be a turning point for Ric.

Indeed it is, as he begins to take over and sends Luger into the guardrail. He gets him back in the ring, gives him a big chop, then just dumps him back to the outside. Ric then cleverly asks Woman to get on the apron, to distract the ref no doubt, so he can get to Luger and bounce his head of the guardrail again.

I heard Flair say "Get off you ass and do something". Who was that to?   :D

Ric in full control at the moment. He keeps letting Lex get back up to the apron, then he keeps dumping him back off it again. Back in the ring and Flair continues to take over with knees to the face. Lex kicks out emphatically at the  count of 2 and tries to mount a comeback, but he misses a corner spot and is sent running, shoulder first, into the corner, allowing Flair to take over again and work on the arm, using the rope as leverage. Naughty.

Flair tells the crowd to "Shut up, as they are giving him some stick. He then uses the ropes again, and again berates the crowd

"Sit down fat boy and keep your mouth shut" :D

Luger looks like he's coming back but Flair pokes him in the eye again and Woman gets involved and pokes him in the eye too for good measure. This continues as Flair swats him down again onto the ropes, and Woman starts pulling at Lex's hair.

It's still all Flair and he works on the arm of Luger and continues to cheat by using the ropes on a pin attempt. Lex then snaps as he grabs Flair and throws him into the corner, and he does his backflip onto the outside. Lex isn't selling shit now and goes after Ric, who is begging Luger to leave off.

Luger gets Ric in a sleeper. Flair counters this by back body dropping Lex and they are both down on the mat, fucked i'd imagine the pace they have kept up. 

Ric gets on the apron to try and suplex Luger to the outside, but he reverses in and gives Ric a big suplex back into the ring. He then goes after the leg by ramming it into the post. He tries to put on the figure four, which looked somewhat sloppy, but Flair wriggles out of it.

Flair knocks Luger down, tries again but Luger reverses it into a big power slam for a 2.9 count. Luger is having none of Flair's chops and Flair bails and they take it once again to the outside. Ric with another fucking thumb in the eye of Lex. i'm surprised he can see at this point.

Back in the ring and Luger gets another nearfall before Ric give him an atomic drop and Lex's leg is hurting. this allows Ric to take over again and gets a nearfall. Lovely  double arm suplex by Flair follows this into another nearfall. He jumps on Luger to apply a sleeper hold.

Luger tries to fight back and knocks Flair on his ass for another nearfall before Luger misses an elbow and they're both down. Ric gets up and starts working over Luger's knee. 

FIGURE FOUR LOCKED IN Using the ropes again, Ric. 

Crowd go nuts as STING comes hobbling out to ringside and starts shouting encouragement towards Luger. I fucking LOVE, LOVE this bit

giphy.gif

Sting is basically telling Lex to get back in the game. Luger uses this to no sell Flair's shit and runs after him, gets him in the ring, and gives him a Gorilla Press Slam.

CROWD GOING BANANAS as Luger is powering up and starts to finally take his frustrations out on Ric with some big clotheslines and a big vertical suplex for a nearfall. Another big powerslam and Luger signals it's time for THE RACK.

But Luger tries to grab Woman, who slaps Luger, who has his back to Flair, who flies into him with a big knee, knocking the ref down in the process.

REF BUMP

Luger continues to wail on Flair and gives him a super-plex off the top rope. Oh fuck here comes Arn and Ole. Lex swats them out the ring, no nonsense style. Luger has Flair in the TORTURE RACK, but the ref is still down. 

Arn grabs Sting as Ole hits with his crutches. This prompts Luger to run out and clobber Ole and Arn. Fuck yeah. Whilst he's doing that, the ref is counting him out, 7,8,9..........10.

Oh fuck. The Horsemen then pound on Luger as a helpless Sting is forced to watch on. The Steiners come running out and the Horsemen bail. Where the fuck were you 2 minutes ago, Rick/Scott????

Anybody ask me why Ric Flair was great, i'll point them to this, because this is one hell of a fucking match. Pace never lets up, and as good as Luger is here, and he is trust me, Ric is just supreme and i'm not saying he carries Lex, but he puts on one hell of a performance to help him through this. It was the perfect balance of Luger the powerhouse, versus Ric, the wily, experienced general, who will wrestle and cheat his way through anything.

FUCK THIS WAS GREAT. LEGIT GREAT.

Edited by zep81

Sherri at the Rumble '91 ... sexy.  Just got sexier.  That woman was ... sex. E.

Then, now, forever.

And I'd have let her diddle me an' all.

She was as sexy as hell.

Sherri. *sigh*

Edited by mikehoncho

• Paid Members

Dynamite Kid Vs Tiger Mask from the early 80's ... for probably the 7th or 8th time ...

Fucking hell, the character of Dynamite Kid was evil as fuck in Japan; the fact he was so over has me slack-jawed. :) Great, great, great, superb, fantastic ... truly legendary.

When you read about this rivalry. It comes across as one of the greatest ever. However I've never been able to find video of these matches that isn't grainy and of poor audio quality. This spoils the experience for me. Is there a particular video source that I should be looking to get a hold of? Is there one that has an English commentary? Edited by BigJag

Fucking hell, the character of Dynamite Kid was evil as fuck in Japan; the fact he was so over has me slack-jawed. :) Great, great, great, superb, fantastic ... truly legendary.

When you read about this rivalry. It comes across as one of the greatest ever. However I've never been able to find video of these matches that isn't grainy and of poor audio quality. This spoils the experience for me. Is there a particular video source that I should be looking to get a hold of? Is there one that has an English commentary?

The quality of the 5 matches I have is VERY good; can't think where I had 'em from though.  Never been able to find Engrish commentary for 'em but they're great with the native audio. :)

When you read about this rivalry. It comes across as one of the greatest ever. However I've never been able to find video of these matches that isn't grainy and of poor audio quality. This spoils the experience for me. Is there a particular video source that I should be looking to get a hold of? Is there one that has an English commentary?

There's a mint 2-disc DVD set that pretty much covers the feud. Nothing on tube sites likely to equal it. Japanese commentary, naturally:

(17.08.79, Calgary): Dynamite Kid v Tatsumi Fujinami - j.i.p

(05.02.80): Dynamite Kid v Tatsumi Fujinami

(23.04.81): Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask

(01.01.82): Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask

(28.01.82): Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask

(23.07.82): Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask

(31.07.82): Dynamite Kid / Bret Hart / Greg Valentine v Tiger Mask / Tatsumi Fujinami / Kengo Kimura

(05.08.82): Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask

(30.08.82): Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask

(21.04.83): Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask

(July ‘83; Calgary): Dynamite Kid v The Cobra - j.i.p

(03.02.84): Dynamite Kid v Davey Boy Smith

(07.20.84): Dynamite Kid v The Cobra

(27.11.85): Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask II

I enjoyed his late 80s / early 90s All Japan run too. Nothing near in terms of match quality. He just looked a very pissed off, bad man by that point.