The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

The problem with the 2004 Rumble is that they'd been telegraphing the result since about Survivor Series when Heyman told Benoit in a backstage segment that he'd "never manage to grab the brass ring." If I remember I was watching it with some mates and my first reaction was "That's Benoit winning the belt at Mania then." I just finished watching Wrestle Kingdom 11 and it was cracking. I'm contemplating hopping on the Network to watch some "vintage" Angle. as well.

just rewatched the first draft in 2002. it's not news but Rocky was special wasn't he. gets one half of the crowd to go "YOU ARE!" and the other to go "AN ASSHOLE!" at Vince and it's fantastic. fans persist every time Vince comes back out to make another pick

Edited by sj5522

Bob Backlund's heel turn on an episode of Superstars. Not sure if it's on the Network or not. Fucking genuinely terrifying stuff. But so well done - clock his eyes change. Cracking match too

Edited by sj5522

WAW TV Ep. 20

Nicely packaged, engaging.  It's the first time I've given WAW TV a view, so I'm not used to the commentary team, but there's spirit in the 3-part dialogue.

Team EWW were horrible bastards to Team WAW; brought a smile to my face.

Erin Angel impressed, as she always does.

I'll be watching more!

Last week I began watching Rumbles in preparation for this year's. Mostly tried to catch ones I've never seen all the way through before. Watched the undercards too cos fuck it, life's too long.

Royal Rumble '91
The Rockers kick ass in the opening match against The Orient Express. You can tell how influential they've been as all the stuff they are doing still works to this day.

The angle with Warrior and Sherri is funny in an odd way. Haven't watched that much Warrior so him just screaming NOOOOOOOO down at Sherri who's on her knees suggestively was quite striking to say the least.
The title switch to Slaughter wasn't as shit as I expected it to be, but still fairly shit.

Koko B. Ware gets the go away heat of the night with a snoozer against The Mountie. Mountie wins obviously in a dull affair but Koko tries and fails to get the crowd to clap in support of him..but he does it like 4 or 5 times, including 3 at the very start of the match. Piss off.

DiBiase & Virgil v The Rhodes' is a great little match, with an excellent angle of course. Virgil's moment in the sun, baby! #FuckMoney

The Rumble match itself is decent. File under: worth watching. Loses significant points having a Nasty Boy in the final 3

Royal Rumble '02
Regal steals the IC title from Edge with the brass knux.
Flair beats Vince in a bloody street fight.
Jericho retains the Undisputed Championship in a decent match with The Rock
Rumble was decent fun. Taker basically clears out the first ten entries, he definitely cleared the ring and awaited the next entry more than once, which is bordering on overkill but just fed nicely into that great angle with Maven. That shock pop kicked arse and the beatdown is brutal. Then a bit slow until Austin and HHH show up but is all fun from there. Final 4 of Perfect, Austin, Angle & HHH is fine. All leading to a Mania main event no one cared about/everybody in the arena was too exhausted to make any noise for, but still a decent event.

now watching '95, but IRS just came out so I paused it to write this and order a pizza.
Edited by sj5522

With the news of the HOF induction, I'm starting to go a little Kurt Angle/HOF crazy. Last night, I watched:

-Steve Austin & Eddie Guerrero HOF inductions (as fellow Attitude Era/Ruthless Aggression era wrestlers)

-Kurt Angle's Sportcenter interview this week with Coach

- Due to Kurt's comments about his favourite WWE match on Sportscenter, I watched Angle vs. Taker from No Way Out 2006. I've seen it before, and it gets lauded often as a great match, but fuck me! Angle is vicious, and there's great psychology going instead of just finisher spam. The way Angle worked Taker's leg had me wincing. Brilliant.

Going to seek out more Kurt Angle footage from here. HG's thread should help me with that.

• Paid Members

Watched a few random bits recently. Couple that stand out.

Steve McMichael vs. Brian Adams - Roadwild 1998. You've got to watch this match. There is a sequence in the middle that is the best & worst thing you'll ever see in a professional professional wrestling ring. Adams irish whips Mongo into the ropes. Mongo comes back to duck under a clothesline. Doesn't duck, so he puts his arms up to block but Adams, ever the pro, misses him so Mongo just runs passed him with his arms up. Then Mongo bounces off the ropes and goes to do something lik a football tackle but Adams turns his back so Mongo is just left standing there. Then Mongo grabs Adams in a headlock, stands for a couple of seconds wondering what the hell he's going to do and then and just drops to the ground for what is either the worst DDT you've ever seen or the strangest headlock takedown. Adams sells it like a DDT and while he's on the floor, McMichael drops an elbow on his head. Adams bails to presumably tell Vincent at ringside "this guy is even worse than me".

Watched the Ric Flair return - September 14th 1998. Never gets old. Arn Anderson is the most under-rated promo in wrestling history. Greenville fucking LOVES Ric Flair. The Horsemen ride again, even with Mongo. How this shitarse of a company fails to follow this with anything meaningful explains why they'd go on to have a lean year in 1999 and a disastrous 2000.