The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

Plus, the show didn't last seventeen million hours, like this year's Wrestlemania did, which is a huge positive. I recently heard a rumour that this year's show might still be going on. Very believable.

Utter bullshit. It finished at least fifteen minutes ago.

'Mania 30 is excellent from start to finish, even considering the actual match quality of the streak ending. I was at the previous year's show in New York, but when watching this one on a big screen telly in a Sheffield pub, I remember feeling a real sense of sadness and regret at not making it to New Orleans. The opening segment alone made it worth watching.

I've been watching Summerslam 2003's Elimination Chamber match ahead of our Kevin Nash show this Sunday. I know a lot is made about Goldberg in the match, but Nash's part in it all is hilarious. He comes in fourth, sticks around for about two minutes, gets pinned by Jericho after a superkick from his mate Michaels and instantly gets his heat back by powerbombing everyone in sight. Seven or eight minutes, tops. Big Sexy knows how to earn his money.

• Paid Members

I'd forgotten how amazing the reaction to the streak ending was, particularly the gasp when the 21-1 record is displayed on the big screen.

Was the match any good, on the second viewing?

I remember me and the lads I watched it with on the night really struggling not to lose interest as they plodded along and started messing about on our phones during it, but I have never re-watched their match since.

It was as plodding and average as you remember it.

It's funny, I remember being exactly the same as you when I watched it live, bored, messing around on my phone, not really paying much attention to what was a crap match with an obvious finish...and then suddenly the ref counted three and it blew my fucking mind.

In some ways, I'm almost glad it happened like that. It made it even more shocking. It feels like they're going through the motions on purpose. They lull you into not giving a shit, then in the space of one second you're suddenly quantum leaped out of your bollocks and you have no idea what's happening.

Obviously they'd never plan on having a bad match, and they went on to have some crackers the following year, but it genuinely adds to the drama the way it all happened. It might be my favourite finish ever. I can never just watch it once. If I watch it once I've got to rewind it at least a dozen times to watch everyone in the crowd.

However, I still don't believe Meltzer's theory that the ref didn't know and called it as a shoot. Fuck off, Dave. As if.

Just watched a Jan 1990 WWF house show, was great viewing. Hogan v Perfect, Powers of Pain v Rockers, Hitman v Akeem, Anvil v Genius (was a bit shit), plus a couple of others. The baddies won every match!!! How pissed of would you be. Hogan lost by DQ, Hitman pinned, Jake by DQ, Rockers pinned. Even Paul Roma lost to Al Perez.

I'd forgotten how amazing the reaction to the streak ending was, particularly the gasp when the 21-1 record is displayed on the big screen.

Was the match any good, on the second viewing?

I remember me and the lads I watched it with on the night really struggling not to lose interest as they plodded along and started messing about on our phones during it, but I have never re-watched their match since.

It was as plodding and average as you remember it.

It's funny, I remember being exactly the same as you when I watched it live, bored, messing around on my phone, not really paying much attention to what was a crap match with an obvious finish...and then suddenly the ref counted three and it blew my fucking mind.

In some ways, I'm almost glad it happened like that. It made it even more shocking. It feels like they're going through the motions on purpose. They lull you into not giving a shit, then in the space of one second you're suddenly quantum leaped out of your bollocks and you have no idea what's happening.

Obviously they'd never plan on having a bad match, and they went on to have some crackers the following year, but it genuinely adds to the drama the way it all happened. It might be my favourite finish ever. I can never just watch it once. If I watch it once I've got to rewind it at least a dozen times to watch everyone in the crowd.

However, I still don't believe Meltzer's theory that the ref didn't know and called it as a shoot. Fuck off, Dave. As if.

Taker gets dropped on his head quite early in the match and is knocked loopey, you've got to think that it would have been s hell of alot better otherwise. Watching it back, we should have seen the streak ending coming from miles away as JBL keeps banging on about "streaks/records are meant to be broken" all the way through the dam thing.

I still vividly remember my reaction to it when watching for the first time. Absolute genuine shock, I was certain that Taker would've going into the Hallof Fame one day with the streak intact being the character's legacy

Just watched a Jan 1990 WWF house show, was great viewing. Hogan v Perfect, Powers of Pain v Rockers, Hitman v Akeem, Anvil v Genius (was a bit shit), plus a couple of others. The baddies won every match!!! How pissed of would you be. Hogan lost by DQ, Hitman pinned, Jake by DQ, Rockers pinned. Even Paul Roma lost to Al Perez.

Take it, it was this Rockers/POP match cos it's legit fucking great. Jannetty takes a great high bump in this one too. It's one of the best WWF tags from that era tbh. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Looking to watch some more Arn Anderson stuff, is there anything on the network from when he was belting?

I'd go with Anderson and Larry Zbyszko vs Ricky Steamboat and Dustin Rhodes at Clash of the Champions 17 from November 91. Everyone is awesome in that match.

You fell for a trick question - you silly mark!

Arn Anderson was always belting. There is no "non belting period" to watch. Just type "Arn Anderson" into the search function and providing he's not in there with utter shit, it'll be a great match!

Take it, it was this Rockers/POP match cos it's legit fucking great. Jannetty takes a great high bump in this one too. It's one of the best WWF tags from that era tbh. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Thats the one, for whatever reason i had it in my head that it was Micheals who always got the battering and Jannety who came in a house on fire. But yeh, this is a fucking great match.

Perfect bumps like mad for Hogan as well. They should have done a 6 man with these down the road. The POP must have split not long after this, thats why the result was a suprise.

Edited by Porkchopcash

Looking to watch some more Arn Anderson stuff, is there anything on the network from when he was belting?

I'd go with Anderson and Larry Zbyszko vs Ricky Steamboat and Dustin Rhodes at Clash of the Champions 17 from November 91. Everyone is awesome in that match.

Arn Anderson was always belting. There is no "non belting period" to watch. Just type "Arn Anderson" into the search function and providing he's not in there with utter shit, it'll be a great match!

A very good point, silly mark I indeed am. Arn was always one of my favourites actually from when I first saw him, back on ITV in about 1990.

Not sure I should admit to this in fact, but I hoped as a child that I might one day have as awesomely hairy a chest as his!

Thats the one, for whatever reason i had it in my head that it was Micheals who always got the battering and Jannety who came in a house on fire. But yeh, this is a fucking great match.

Perfect bumps like mad for Hogan as well. They should have done a 6 man with these down the road. The POP must have split not long after this, thats why the result was a suprise.

There's a Rockers/Duggan vs POP/Fuji six man from Feb '90 that is also very fun and that featured HBK getting the shit kicked out of him and taking that fly high bump.

Cheers, ive been randomly watching house shows fron 85 onwards. Love the lights out so you cant see the crowd. When the odd match would be shown on late night ITV or Primetime i always used to think they looked old fashioned. Theres a Hitman V Dibiase from around that time which is a cracker. May be 91 as he had Sherri in the corner. Love the Boston Garden and the Canadian ones with the walks or ramps to the ring.

• Awards Moderator

He's a fantastic talent and always watchable, but did he ever have a great match in WWF?

I'll just about allow the Survivor Series 1988 tag match although to be fair there were approximately 73 decent workers in that match.

Any others?