The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

WCW were a bunch of pussies really, weren't they. They couldn't get anybody to do anything because they were a bunch of pussies. Only one guy in the entire company had the vaunted "creative control", which was Hogan. That doomed them enough. But to create a culture where none of these guys were ever disciplined for saying no or ordered to do it is so damning of Bischoff, and the real reason why he couldn't be McMahon. As tough as Bischoff wanted to pretend to be or thought he was, he couldn't be the boss of anyone.

Bret should have marched right up to Hogan after Starrcade. There was no need for controversy, Sting wins, Hogan wants a rematch but Bret is targeting him too, and Sting goes about dismantling everybody in the NWO in matches, the likes of Hall and Nash. If Bret had gone the slow route, I don't know that the match would have meant any more than having him come right off the Screwjob and right against Hogan anyway, so why do it? The story is there is be told. Oh well.

The promos with Flair and Bret building to that match were a lot of fun.

Finished watching Slamboree '98. The main event was Sting/Giant vs Hall/Nash.

Sting is a WCW babyface teaming with an NWO heel against two NWO tweeners. Nash is about to powerbomb Giant when Dusty Rhodes gets on the apron to distract the ref. Hall turns on Nash by hitting him with the tag belt and Sting and The Giant win the tag titles. So now Hall and Nash are on opposite sides lol. Plus a WCW guy and an NWO guy are tag champs.

I mean, what a mess.

I have read that Hall's turn was a political power play by Hogan to split them up in storyline and so it helped his own power backstage.

More Hulk bullshit then.

But Benoit/Finlay was great and probably had the most crowd heat tbh. The Cruiserweight battle royale was super purely for Jericho's introductions and the Malenko reveal.

Savage/Bret was ok. Bret going after the bad knee was good but the brawling could have been better given it was essentially a hate match.

Again though, another stupid finish with Liz running into the ring and Hogan taking Savage out for Bret to win.

On 2017-6-2 at 0:36 PM, zep81 said:

So now Hall and Nash are on opposite sides lol. Plus a WCW guy and an NWO guy are tag champs.

I mean, what a mess.

I mean, what a standard pro wrestling angle that's been used by every promotion before and since.

5 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I mean, what a standard pro wrestling angle that's been used by every promotion before and since.

In this case though, it just seemed to be a swerve just for the sake of a swerve.

I watched the 60 man, 3 ring Battle Royale from World War 3 1995 last night, honestly one of the weirdest matches you will ever see. First of all there is the most EPIC entrance you will ever see as ALL 60 walk to the ring, it's so much fun watching the wrestlers squeezing their 3 seconds of camera time whilst others just walk straight to the ring (probably wondering what on earth are they doing in this match). Then the action begins and wow what a mess, it's so hard to keep track of anything, there's a reason Battle Royale's are traditionally kept short! Then the ending which really was just god awful, Macho Man won the WORLD TITLE because of a referee mistake. It wasn't a classic 'heel distracts the ref' or ref get knocked out mistake, it was played as the ref simply missed what happened.

Awful, truly awful but certainly worth a watch. I would love to know who came up with this idea.

Watched WCW Bash At The Beach 1998.

Opener was Saturn/Raven. 

Wasn't anything special TBH, bog standard ravens rules match but with less weapons used. Nick Patrick did take a needless ref bump and sold it in quite ridiculous fashion;

giphy.gif

Also, Saturn prepped Raven on some double tables, but Kanyon came in and moved Raven out the way, so Saturn still decided to go through them anyway

giphy.gif

OK.

Kidman/Juvi. 

MOTN. I know it hasn't exactly got much competition but this was excellent IMO. Fast paced, maybe a little spotty, but there's always going to be an element of that in these matches. A nice series of bridges and reversals in this too. Really good.

Stevie Ray/Chavo Guerrero Jr.

No idea why this was even needed. Chavo was facing Eddie next in a hair vs hair match anyway, so he stooged for a bit here, before turning a simple arm lock by Ray into a finishing submission move and giving up. Probably the best Stevie Ray match tho most would say :D

It segways into......

Hair vs hair: Eddie Guerrero/Chavo Guerrero Jr.

I enjoyed their match at GAB and thought this was another good outing. Paced slow at the start with more Chavo stooging and comedy, but when it got going it was quite intense. Chavo loses and shaves his own head again, freaking Eddy out

Disco Inferno/Konnan.

Konnan is the only one of the Wolpac to have a match at this PPV. Tells it all.

Shit.

Giant/Kevin Greene.

Nothing much of course but Greene tried to at least make something out of it. Pretty much a total squash by Giant though.

Cruiserweight Title: Chris Jericho/Rey Mysterio Jr.

Rey's big return after a 6 month layoff. He came back extra tanned and extra buffed up. He did look quite rusty here though which resulted in some noticable botches. Quick match too, probably to help Rey settle back in slowly. Malenko distracts Jericho and Rey rolls him up to take the title.

TV Title: Bret Hart/Booker T.

Bret going after the US Title. Little to zero build up for this match either btw. I'm pretty sure this wasn't even mentioned on the Nitro go home shoe and it wasn't on Thunder, either. Bret did intefere in a couple of Booker matches though, because he was trying to convince Benoit to join the NWO, so that's probably why this match was somehow put together.

Pretty meh TBH. Booker has had excellent matches with Benoit and Finlay in ther last month, but this was a step down, and i'm saying that when it's Bret Hart he's facing. Some of his offense was fine in execution of course, but it was just so uninteresting. It plods along at the start, threatens to turn into something when they go to the outside, but then Bret flips and attacks Booker with the chair, so he obviously gets DQ'd.

Bret continues to attack the leg of Booker after the match for extra heat. Booker was legit injured so I'm sure that came into how poor the match was too.

This is where Bret Hart is at this stage in WCW. Sigh.

Rodman/Hogan vs Malone/DDP.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo, this is it. The massive hyped up extravaganza between two basketball players masquerading as wrestlers. This went on FOR-FUCKING-EVER. I mean FOR-FUCKING-EVER. Crowd let out a loud 'This is boring' chant at one point. This got about 30 damn minutes.

THIS MATCH WENT ON FOR-FUCKING-EVER. Fuck it needed some time took of it.

Half of that was probably stalling and dicking around for no real reason. There was just nothing of note happening at all. Well, apart from this;

giphy.gif

LOL

Rodman looks out of it at times, too. Just slumped and couldn't give a shit. Starting the match with Rodman and Malone when that's the pairing everyone wants to see was odd too. Surely you start with DDP/Hulk, then switch to the celebs to get the crowd going.

DUD. DUD. DUD. DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO WATCH THIS SHIT. I say that in a match that has DDP in it too.

Still this PPV got a record buyrate i think, so it worked to that degre

3 hours ago, zep81 said:

Also, Saturn prepped Raven on some double tables, but Kanyon came in and moved Raven out the way, so Saturn still decided to go through them anyway

giphy.gif

OK.

You've seen Saturn's eyes, right? He was watching the ref while this happened.

Watching the main event of Backlash 2000 for the millionth time (it gives me happy feels), and a measure of how good and how confident the WWF was on PPV at that time is through JR taking a shot at a boxing 'atrocity' that apparantely disappointed paying punters. 

I can't see how they'll ever be able to be in a position to say something like that again.  

15 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Watching the main event of Backlash 2000 for the millionth time (it gives me happy feels), and a measure of how good and how confident the WWF was on PPV at that time is through JR taking a shot at a boxing 'atrocity' that apparantely disappointed paying punters. 

I can't see how they'll ever be able to be in a position to say something like that again.  

My guess would be Lennox Lewis vs Michael Grant which was the night before. I wouldn't call it an atrocity as I'm a Lewis fan but Grant was overhyped and destroyed in short order.

The boxing PPV did 340'000 buys and Backlash 675'000. So can see why they were cocky at that time.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

17 hours ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

Just watched the latest Table For 3, as much as I love Ric Flair, he does go on. You could see Bruno was getting a tad fed up of it. Wonder how long the original unedited version was?!  

I know for the Cornette one they recorded at least 90 minutes of footage he said I think. They should really be longer for sure.