The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon

SummerSlam 1995

I.C Title Ladder Match

This was one of the first matches from a PPV that I had ever watched (on tape after the fact). I saw this match before I had ever watched their 'Mania X bout. So, naturally, I have more affinity to this one, which in my little head, was the first one. 

I loved it at the time and for years afterwards I would watch it regularly. When I decided to stick it on today it was probably about ten years from I'd seen it last and though I knew it would still be very good, I wasn't sure how much of it would be my rose tinted memories of the match, and I was prepared to feel a little deflated afterwards. 

I felt no such deflation. The match is every bit as good as I remember it being, and in my book it's still better than their first. They struck a great balance between telling a story and including, for the time, really innovative spots alongside that story. Such a fun match, with some great bumps, selling and teases throughout. The two had brilliant chemistry together that's for sure. 

I'm contemplating picking one match from each SummerSlam and trying to watch them over the course of the month, though I imagine I'll watch about three and end up in September having forgotten all about it. 

• Paid Members

That was a really good match. Wasn't there something in a shoot interview that they had nothing planned for that match and Triple H laid the whole thing out for them the night before in a hotel room or something like that? 

I never had Sky at the time, how was it explained on TV the switch from the original Shawn vs Sid match to Shawn vs Razor ladder match part 2? Of course, what we got was way better but they'd been building to Shawn vs Sid since the night after WrestleMania. 

Re: that ladder match. It was very good and that. But I seem to be in the minority in thinking the original at 'Mania 10 was better. For me it was just tidier and more slicker high spots. Also, some seem to prefer Bret vs Bulldog's rematch (at an IYH I think) to the original. I've seen them both recently, and still much prefer the original. Full of drama and suspense.

I wouldn't say it's that unpopular opinion, I agree. They're both grand but that botched finish for Summerslam spoiled it a bit. Those early ladders looked bloody dangerous things

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, WeeAl said:

I'm contemplating picking one match from each SummerSlam and trying to watch them over the course of the month, though I imagine I'll watch about three and end up in September having forgotten all about it. 

Check out my 'Summerslam match a day' thread from a couple of years ago, people had loads of good recommendations for which matches to watch if you wanted to do this!

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Check out my 'Summerslam match a day' thread from a couple of years ago, people had loads of good recommendations for which matches to watch if you wanted to do this!

Thanks HG! Must have a look through the thread again to try and get some ideas on what to watch outside of the matches that instantly come to mind. Thanks kind sir for reminding me. 

• Paid Members

Started watching the latest update to the hidden gems on the Network.

Duggan/OMG/Gordy angle was great. Presented oddly on TV with part narration, part Duggan interview and a bit of JR on commentary explaining the angle. Didn't see much of the eventual Gordy/Duggan match but that's the point of TV. Duggan is incredible in both angle and promo. Sad that his biggest exposure was as a boss eyed moron one slight rung up from the Bushwackers.

Sting vs. Bill Watts was over in the blink of an eye but has the usual great Watts promo prior and a great post match angle. These sort of instant stipulations are sadly missing these days. Gilbert would have made a decent million dollar man during this era.

Bulldogs and Rock and Roll Express is JIP and doesn't really work. Two traditional babyface teams. Commentary is dubbed over Japanese and is dull as ditchwater. Seriously hideous.

• Paid Members

Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior

WWF Championship

SummerSlam 1992

It doesn't live up to their encounter at 'Mania VII. With the drama, suspense and emotion involved in that match, it never would have been able to. This match goes overboard on the interference and the ref bumps. The lack of a winner, despite maybe being needed based on where they were looking to get to for Survivor Series, probably pulls it down a bit too. 

Having got all that out of the way first, I really enjoyed it. I've actually only watched it once before so it was fresh to me. The atmosphere was electric and the setting obviously was special. The main body of the match itself though doesn't get enough love in my book. It was really exciting and dramatic with lots of near falls and tension. I didn't think I'd enjoy it again as much, and I'm glad I picked this match to watch from this event rather than the obvious choice , that whilst incredible, I've viewed many more times. 

On 07/08/2017 at 5:55 PM, wandshogun09 said:

That was a really good match. Wasn't there something in a shoot interview that they had nothing planned for that match and Triple H laid the whole thing out for them the night before in a hotel room or something like that? 

I never had Sky at the time, how was it explained on TV the switch from the original Shawn vs Sid match to Shawn vs Razor ladder match part 2? Of course, what we got was way better but they'd been building to Shawn vs Sid since the night after WrestleMania. 

It was billed as a Gorilla Monsoon decision. He'd just started his run as the 'fan friendly' president and basically said in a promo that it was a miscarriage of justice that Sid was getting the shot because he'd had two shots at Diesel for the WWF title and lost them both and that the fans didn't want to see Shawn v Sid, what they wanted to see was a rematch of one of the greatest matches in WWF history - the ladder match from Mania X between Shawn and Razor and thus the match was made. 

Then when DiBiase started booting off, Monsoon said Sid would get the winner of the ladder match in a title shot on the 11 September RAW (the first head to head with Nitro and the infamous 'he beats with a kick that wouldn't win a yellow belt at your local YMCA' match). 

• Paid Members

Ah right, that's ringing bells now actually. Cheers for that. 

Shame we never got a trilogy decider of a third ladder match between them. If Razor had stayed in the WWF in 96 and turned heel, a Shawn vs Razor 3 ladder match would've been great during Shawn's title run. 

• Paid Members

Rey Mysterio vs Kurt Angle

SummerSlam 2002

One of the best WWF PPV openers of all time. A must watch for any wrestlers today that feel they are short on time, for a lesson on how to maximise less than ten minutes, especially in an opener, in order to be able to say to the rest of the locker room "see if you can follow that". An incredible pace was set in this match, with some great spots (particularly the ending sequence and Mysterio's dive to the outside over Jimmy Korderas), but it all made sense. Any wonder this PPV went on to become one of the best show's the WWE ever put on. 

The Rockers vs Power & Glory

SummerSlam 1990

A bit of a different style of opener on show here. You would expect it to be a typical Rockers match, especially with the opponents, but it ends up effectively as a handicap match. Shawn gets taken out before things kick off, and from that point it's all about whether Marty can overcome the odds.

Good way to get the show off to a fast start with The Rockers entrance, getting into the match before it's even began, and it would serve as a decent illustration on how to pack a show with lots of guys getting on there, but not having the show last three months long, as this year's incarnation might. There is no wasted time on show here, which helps keep things moving. 

The Warlord, Power & Glory vs Ricky Steamboat, The British Bulldog & Texas Tornado

SummerSlam '91

Firstyl, everybody in this match is fucking huge. Big Herc', Warlord, Davey Boy and Kerry von Erich are known as being massive obviously, but even the Dragon and captain exaggeration Paul Roma, look to be at the peak of their physiques here. The match was decent, with heat on Steamboat for most of it and the hot tag to Kerry and Davey Boy to clean house at the end. Hercules though, Jesus Christ he aged about ten years in the year since SummerSlam 90. He was big here, but he looked rough. The finish seemed botched a bit, but it didn't affect the enjoyment of it for me, or the crowd at The Garden for thar matter as they popped big for the closing moments. 

I enjoyed looking back at these matches today, and if I get time this week I might re-watch SSlam 90 & 91.

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Bret Hart vs The Undertaker 

W/Shawn Michaels as Special Referee

WWF Championship

SummerSlam '97

This is my favourite year in the WWF, and Bret Hart and everything surrounding him is pretty much why. The whole Canadian Hero/American Enemy character twist was such a unique take on things, and just captured a time and place perfectly. With the rise of Steve Austin, the backstage shenanigans with Shawn and WCW that must have obviously affected what was going out on T.V, the Hart Foundation, the border hopping for Raw, the way people seemed to weave so easily through each other's programmes.

I get all fuzzy thinking about 97, and consequently about this match as well. It was a slow and deliberate pace after the first minute, but the story of Shawn as the conflicted referee with so much on the line is done to perfection. There's an incredible finish, and a 'what's going to happen next?' Vibe at the end of the show that would be hard to better, and it keeps all the guys involved moving along to their next stop on the road with everyone's story only getting stronger. 

In some ways it feels like it was a shame it had to end the way it did at Survivor Series (speaking purely from the perspective of enjoying the Hart Foundation storyline) and in others it was the perfect ending to a story - "leave them wanting more" - 1997, in a manner of speaking, never outstayed it's welcome. 

Edited by WeeAl

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not sure what to watch a few weeks ago, I decided to pick a year in WWE from my forgotten years (Pretty much 2003-) and work through. So I've been having a go through 2004.

Some throwaway thoughts on the how from January below. Just generally though I found it funny that at the time, I thought Raw felt old. Like Nitro in 1999. It was the same stuff we'd seen for near on five years. But watching back now it's got stars all over it and energy we couldn't hope for now. It's also got a lot of tropes of the attitude era but had moved on with what felt like a more old school in-ring product.

SD 1/1 2004

The Rey/Tajiri match has the worst ref bump ever. The Big Show, who's supposed to be a big deal as US champ, dresses like an accountant. Bob Holly on the other hand is stomping around jacked in just jeans and looks the business. The Show/Holly match features some brutal chairshots and blood. Alien now.

It's odd seeing Bradshaw. He's almost got a JBL haircut but is still APA Bradshaw. He's over and his clothesline is sweet as fuck. Comparing him to Mahal is an insult. There's a version of the FBI walks out, Nunzio, Palumbo and Stamboli. I'd forgotten that was ever a thing.

Raw 5/1

Add Rene Dupree to the list of people I'd completely forgotten. What a great look he also had. Christian gets in a "C-men" gag. Funny. There's way too much race stuff on these shows through Coach, Teddy Long and Menry. Really ropey line as King tells Coach: "You're not black, you're beige".

Shades of the attitude era as Test big boots Victoria. Again, seems alien now. One little thing that is just so much better than now is the ringside dude handing a microphone to whoever is in the ring where as now they just "randomly" leave them laying about. You know, just in case the Shield come through the crowd or something.

Might be controversial here but Austin's quad bike and sheriff badge. I thought it was lame at the time but compared to now, it's cool. And over? Oh hell, yeah.

Raw 12/1

Coach is absolutely horrible on commentary basically just spouting about everyone being a racist. Austin casts a long shadow over everything, that's maybe part of the reason I wasn't on board at the time.

Goldberg hits an awesome spear on Matt Hardy. Triple H isn't awesome though. He's right in the midst of his clean-shaven, slightly portly Greg Valentine looking phase.

There's an awesome "Friends and supporters of Randy Orton" vignette on Foley being a coward. Orton is just so good generally. He and RVD have a cracking main event. Check it out.

SD 15/1

Pretty lame Cena rap starts this episode though he gets in a good zinger rhyming "bounce quicker than an ECW Cheque". Rhyno runs in and hits a great spear, sorry, gore. Only Paul Heyman can announce a "Loser gets his mouth washed out with soap" match and not make it sound like the shittest thing ever. Though as soon as they come back from the ads, Michael Cole repeats it and it does indeed sound like the shittest thing ever. Cole is awful in this period on Smackdown. His faux-laugh is everywhere.

Heyman shows incredible ass after the main event eating a bar of soap while in a Sharpshooter. It's missing from modern "authority" figures while building to a main event with a stipulation and paying off on it to send the crowd home happy or fuming is generally missing too.

Raw 19/1

There's some absolutely horrible music here for Booker T. It's "Can you dig it?" from the WWE Originals CD. I laughed as Booker did the old "Grab a body part (neck) to sell last week's beating that they just replayed on the Titan Tron". Matt facts tell us "Matt loves Mongolian BBQ's" (sic). Also, "Matt's countertops are all granite". Good to know.

Without the racist stuff this week, Coach was great. Charistmatic, confident and fucking irritating.

There are constant references to the Originals CD. The Tout/Twitter/Network/Sugar Ray Robinson fight of the time.

Another brilliant vignette mocking Foley's hardcore legend status airs from the "Friends and supporters of Randy Orton". Just superb stuff. Always liked this feud.

Goldberg is over like rover. Oh, and his gorilla press into a power slam on Steiner is absolutely beautiful.

Fucking "WH/AT" all over an Austin promo. Fuck off.

Lita's massively over. Another thing I'd forgotten. In my memory now, she's just that bitchy, slutty heel. Jazz though? Jesus. Not a looker.

SD 22/1

Nothing happens.

Raw 26/1

Evolution go 3 on 2 v RVD and Jericho. If they were a permanent tag, they could be called "Botchamania". So it's ironic that Randy Orton makes the bggest gaffe of the match going for an RKO on Jericho (while he's got Batista in the walls) and completely missing it. Incredible Spinebuster from Batista to Jericho on the outside early in the match. Great spot. Funy they discuss the possibility of Jericho having a concussion, in kayfabe. Not a fucking chance they'd touch that word now.

King is still going on about "puppies". No wonder this felt so fucking played out at the time. This is the show with the Jackie Gayda topless distraction angle. All for a throwaway win for Rico over Conway. Though they then plug Jackie and Stacey being in Playboy.

This is the night after Rumble, where they teased Taker to distract Kane. They do again. WM is a long way off for this.

SD 29/1

Quite a memorable show which is broken on the network. I still remember this one quite well for the Smackdown 15-man Royal Rumble and the reveal that Nidia isn't really blind.

Quite enjoyed this month.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Syxx vs Eddy Guerrero

U.S Title Ladder Match

Souled Out 1997

As good of a match as these two guys tried to have, the lack of interest in the building for it, and the abysmal commentary really hurt it. Not particularly anything special at all, considering the two men involved.

Some matches from latter day WCW I watched recently, and highly recommend, are DDP v Jarrett at Slamboree, DDP v Steiner at Greed and Nash v Steiner v Goldberg at New Blood Rising; the latter match an absolute barnstormer until it was ruined by moronic booking.

DDP could really have a great match with almost anyone, always bringing the effort and intensity, something lacking in most WCW matches.

So many let downs. Bret Hart v Sting and Bret Hart v Savage come to mind. Their matches felt undercooked. Like they did the bare minimum to have a good match and nothing more.

Piper v Hogan at Superbrawl is possibly the worst high profile match I've ever seen. Worse than Butcher at Starrcade, Sting at Starrcade and Giant at Hog Wild.