The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

Just watched Elgin/ZSJ from AAW after hearing quite a bit about it. It was compared to Okada/Omega and O'Spreay/Ricochet for match quality whilst its not bad its not a MOTY contender 

Got a couple of AAW discs from last year, looks like one of the better US indies going atm. The "Mexican Death Match" I saw between Pentagon Jr. & Sami Callihan was wicked.

Did you buy the DVD or have they bought in an on demand service? 

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

Got a couple of AAW discs from last year, looks like one of the better US indies going atm. The "Mexican Death Match" I saw between Pentagon Jr. & Sami Callihan was wicked.

Managed to get hold of a copy i had never seen any of there shows but heard a lot about the match 

On 29 June 2017 at 3:04 PM, Dearsod said:

Superbrawl 1992 what a great event, JR and Jesse on commentary are fantastic. Rude Vs Steamboat and Pillman vs Liger were fantastic

Absolutely, it's a tremendous show.  The real forgotten classic on the show is the Windham & Rhodes vs Austin & Zbyszko match.  It's not a match you hear talked about much but I think it's brilliant.

• Paid Members
On 2017-6-28 at 8:47 PM, sj5522 said:

It's available to purchase in the MP4 downloads section of their website (aawrestling.com). They do also have a monthly subscription/on demand service, but it looks like it'll be another month or so before it gets added to that.

• Paid Members

A really rock 'n' roll Saturday night has me here watching Main Event, which is featuring an odd heel vs heel affair between The Revival and Gallows & Anderson.

The Revival got a (possibly post-production sweetened?) big pop on their entrance, and are in the traditional babyface 'top left' corner, but are employing all the heelish tactics while Anderson & Gallows hope spots/hot tag are getting the (again, maybe sweetened) babyface reactions during the match.

And then the Shatter Machine & 3-count gets cheers for the Revival.

Odd. Guessing maybe they just went on first at the taping this week & an excited crowd just reacted to everything positively. Still, odd.

WWE apparently also has a new commentator called Vic Joseph who I've never heard of, but he's not horrible.

CM Punk vs Ryback (WWE Raw 7th January 2013) (TLC Match) (WWE Championship)

Man, I forgot about how much I enjoyed this. I'm not even a Ryback fan but I thought he was very good here in his offense and the way he targeted Punk at every opportunity. Punk took some big bumps throughout too. Ryback used all his power to punish Punk, but Punk was tenacious and kept working from under and catching Ryback at opportunist moments. Never for long though as Ryback just decimated Punk any time he got near him.

Punk did take his fair share of shit in this match tbh. Some heavy bumps off ladders.

giphy.gif

He got thrown over the top rope and through a table and just all sorts of nasty bumps. He kept taking his licks but kept staying in the match. Crowd were all over Ryback at the start with 'Goldberg' chants, but they were cheering him loudly as soon as he got near to grabbing the belt.

Then The Shield showed up and took Ryback out and dumped him through a table.

Within a month, Ryback was involved in this TLC and the excellent TLC Match with the Shield. Two of the best of this era tbh.

Such an enjoyable match.

IYH: Canadian Stampede. It was with great trepidation that I watched the entire event for the first time since about 2001, when the old VHS tape got a regular airing, but I went ahead and gave it a bash in preparation for this week's STWW podcast. Obviously I'd watched the stunning main event a million times over the years, but the entire event itself?

Every bit as great as I remembered. This card never dips below "very good," in my opinion. If it's not the best WWF PPV of its era, it's up there.

• Paid Members

I've been working my way through the 1984 TNT episodes and into 1985, the idea being as I was born a week before the first episode, see how many years (choosing one episode a 'week') of WWF weekly TV I can get through.

What's interesting, obviously not watching at the time, is how modern the product actually was back then compared to my earlier perception.

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but having only seen Wrestlemania 1 as a standalone show until now, it felt almost stone age in its production with a dimly lit MSG and very little in the way of build-up videos etc.

But the weeks leading up to The War to Settle the Score and then Wrestlemania, are tremendous. Loads of hype videos with Hulk training Mr T (and Mean Gene) and the Andre v Big John Studd feud.

Its given me a whole new perception of the Rock and Wrestling period, whereas the production/coverage of the actual wrestling itself is way behind the studio stuff and other segments. By Wrestlemania 2, the coverage of the matches themselves  seemed to have advanced light years (influence of NBC with Saturday Night's Main Event?).

I highly recommend giving TNT a whirl, specifically Jan to March 1985 if you don't fancy the whole hog (but don't miss the last episode of December and the wedding episode).

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

TNT is a wild show, the format is so weird for a wrestling show but i love it. I love the fact that it's fully kayfabed, Lord Alfred Hayes sitting on the end of the couch liquored up is the cherry on the cake.

• Paid Members

As expected, the difference in production values in just 5 weeks from Wrestlemania 1 to the first Saturday Night's Main Event, is pretty staggering tbh. You've gone from a dimly lit MSG, to something we more closely resemble the WWE/F with.

It does make you wonder how much the company has Dick Ebersol/NBC to thank. Pretty funny seeing Kevin Dunn's name on TNT's credits as the assistant director too.

wmusa32.1.png

hqdefault.jpg

wwef_36894321_th_64.jpg

Edited by garynysmon